Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 11:09 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 235 Posts

Default Looking for lossless "That's Why I Love You"

I have been looking for years for a true (not upconverted or transcoded) lossless version of "That's Why I Love You"

I know a lossless version existed at one point because it appeared on the original promo CD of "3" that VH sent to Warner before the band dumped the song for Josephina.

If anyone has a copy of that promo disc, or even a true lossless copy of the song, please pm me.

I have various VH rarities and other items that can be traded... gracias!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Prefer DLR era but love em all
    Favorite VH Song

Can't choose. They're like fam
    Last Online

05.13.16 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Me too!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down, A Diff.Kinda Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I read your post and meant to dig up that track, and today I finally remembered (after reading a great piece in the paper on Ed with a great photo from that time - I included it with the download). So here you go, lossless and error free. The track has never been released commercially or for promo reasons, so in my opinion this is a ROIO and should be shared freely amongst fans (who usually buy hundreds worth of offical VH releases anyway). It was on that fake VH3 promo CDR from 1998, but that was really a bootleg, and the rest of the tracks on it were just the regular retail tracks. Check out the info file if you're interested in what I remember about what was floating around back then as far as VH3 promos go.

I have one request for everyone who finds this track interesting: Please don't hoard, please share this track as much as possible, with the original info file. Once you grabbed it from sendspace, share links for other hosters (mega, mediafire, etc.) if you can. If you run slsk, maybe put it on there. If someone would like to put it on Dime or TTD or any other tracker, I would be most grateful. Let's make this a "60th birthday present" for all VH fans. And hope for more, really new music from Ed soon

And for the Gary "haters" (no arguments here, I don't find him the perfect VH singer either): the band tried to record a relaxed and sweet love song, so one should take it for what it is. They didn't do that so often, outside of the power ballads. Gary's vocal on this track is relatively subdued, OK lyric, and the sound and playing from the brothers is really sweet and laid back. I think it's great.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/y8i1mj
    Last edited by moko; 01.26.15 at 06:07 AM.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

07.27.16 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

Cool!!! Have you ever had the chance to listen to that? Is this also the same master as the retail for the other tracks?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by moko View Post
    Cool!!! Have you ever had the chance to listen to that? Is this also the same master as the retail for the other tracks?
    Just last night, I FINALLY found someone on another forum who supposedly has one of the ACTUAL promo discs that VH sent to Warner in November 1997 with "That's Why I Love You" on it. I just received the FLAC files of the entire disc from him this morning. I'm at work though so I haven't been able to listen to them loud on good equipment yet. Nor have I been able to confirm whether the source was truly lossless or not.

But when I get home tonight, I'll run the files through an audio analyzer to test whether the source was really lossless and give the whole album a close couple of listens, and then I'll report back. One thing I will be particularly listening for is whether the production on the rest of the songs is any better than what ended up on the official release (loud buzz and hum, muddied underwater sound, etc).

Please wait to PM me until I post back here and confirm whether it's legit or not.

One thing I will note though is that "That's Why I Love You" on the version I received this morning from the supposed actual disc is 4:33. The version Moko posted is 4:26, which is the same length as most of the 128kbs versions that were leaked all those years ago.

I'll report back in this thread tonight: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...s…/page2

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    Just last night, I FINALLY found someone on another forum who supposedly has one of the ACTUAL promo discs that VH sent to Warner in November 1997 with "That's Why I Love You" on it. I just received the FLAC files of the entire disc from him this morning. I'm at work though so I haven't been able to listen to them loud on good equipment yet. Nor have I been able to confirm whether the source was truly lossless or not.

But when I get home tonight, I'll run the files through an audio analyzer to test whether the source was really lossless and give the whole album a close couple of listens, and then I'll report back. One thing I will be particularly listening for is whether the production on the rest of the songs is any better than what ended up on the official release (loud buzz and hum, muddied underwater sound, etc).

Please wait to PM me until I post back here and confirm whether it's legit or not.

One thing I will note though is that "That's Why I Love You" on the version I received this morning from the supposed actual disc is 4:33. The version Moko posted is 4:26, which is the same length as most of the 128kbs versions that were leaked all those years ago.

I'll report back in this thread tonight: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...s…/page2
    Okay, so yep, the FLAC files I received are legit and, based on a few tests I ran, appear to be true lossless copies from an original VH3 Promo Disc. (The guy sent me a bunch of pictures of the disc and artwork too which helps lend credence that it's real).

So after YEARS of looking, it's sort of crazy to be able to say I finally have a lossless version of "That's Why I Love You", and not only that, but the entire disc. It's a great day!

A couple of notes:

-Every other song -as far as I can tell from only a few listens- has the same mix as the final release versions, but each sounds like it's flat without any EQ. They also sound like they haven't been mastered yet, but they still sound good. The overall quality is a tad less muddy, but the annoying hum/buzz is still there, meaning it was either intended, or the production was terribly flawed from the very beginning, or both.

-I like the album sequencing on the promo disc much better than the final CD.

1. Newworld
    2. Without You
    3. One I Want
    4. Once
    5. Dirty Water Dog
    6. Year to the Day
    7. Fire in the Hole
    8. From Afar
    9. Ballot or the Bullet
    10. That's Why I Love You
    11. How Many Say I

-Regarding the lossless version of "That's Why I Love You" that Moko posted, it does appear to be a true lossless copy based on the tests I ran. But, Moko's version is shorter than the copy from the actual disc as I noted in my previous post. Also, Moko's copy is quieter than the one I got from the disc. I have no idea what all that means, but the test I ran still seemed to indicate that it was still a true lossless copy, so take that what you will.

So anyway, that's it. I'm sure I'll notice more details with later listens.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

Thanks for the info.. so I guess that means there was more than 1 version of that VH3 promo CDR around back then. I am sure that my rip is directly from what was sold as a supposedly legit promo CDR, because I made that rip myself from the original CDR back then (but didn't keep the album tracks... good blanks were more expensive back then, so I put the track on a compilation CDR). I'm also sure that the other tracks on THAT CDR were the same mastering as the retail, I think I remember checked the waveforms using an ancient program called CoolEdit.... but that was a long time ago. Either way, your newly found CD seems to be the even better choice, so congrats!

Last Online

11.28.16 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Thanks for the music and info, guys! If you notice, there's a longer intro on the lossless version of TWILY. The "blip" in the lossy version that's been floating around for years sounds like a rough cut to make the intro shorter. There's also some background guitar stuff after the solo that got buried and I was never really able to hear until this lossless version surfaced. Thanks again!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

THANKS, moko !!
    You made my day sharing TWILY !

Favorite VH Album

OU812 hands down
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

10.30.16 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So is the rest of the disc the same quality as TWILYB? This lossless version sounds fantastic!!!! If the rest of the record could have sounded more like this punchy production on this song....man, that would have been a amazing. I love 3. A disaster of a masterpiece.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moko View Post
    I read your post and meant to dig up that track, and today I finally remembered (after reading a great piece in the paper on Ed with a great photo from that time - I included it with the download). So here you go, lossless and error free. The track has never been released commercially or for promo reasons, so in my opinion this is a ROIO and should be shared freely amongst fans (who usually buy hundreds worth of offical VH releases anyway). It was on that fake VH3 promo CDR from 1998, but that was really a bootleg, and the rest of the tracks on it were just the regular retail tracks. Check out the info file if you're interested in what I remember about what was floating around back then as far as VH3 promos go.

I have one request for everyone who finds this track interesting: Please don't hoard, please share this track as much as possible, with the original info file. Once you grabbed it from sendspace, share links for other hosters (mega, mediafire, etc.) if you can. If you run slsk, maybe put it on there. If someone would like to put it on Dime or TTD or any other tracker, I would be most grateful. Let's make this a "60th birthday present" for all VH fans. And hope for more, really new music from Ed soon

And for the Gary "haters" (no arguments here, I don't find him the perfect VH singer either): the band tried to record a relaxed and sweet love song, so one should take it for what it is. They didn't do that so often, outside of the power ballads. Gary's vocal on this track is relatively subdued, OK lyric, and the sound and playing from the brothers is really sweet and laid back. I think it's great.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/y8i1mj

Wow, thanks for that! I never noticed the thread before. (thanks to the thread in Main) Great quality. I've always been annoyed with the quality of the version I had. I also still can't believe that someone let this song go in favor of Josephina. This should have made it in favor of HMSI. HMSI should never have had lyrics and could have been a hidden instrumental track or something.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

11.29.16 @ 02:45 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Can someone repost this? Never saw this thread and the link is dead.....also; anyone have TWILY tabbed out?
    It's 5150 time!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 4,833 Times in 3,414 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rvk5150 View Post
    Can someone repost this? Never saw this thread and the link is dead.....also; anyone have TWILY tabbed out?
    I figured out the intro and other parts of the song by ear, although I never tabbed it out. Been a while since I've played it...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Prefer DLR era but love em all
    Favorite VH Song

Can't choose. They're like fam
    Last Online

05.13.16 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rvk5150 View Post
    Here ya go boss.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Gs&usp=sharing

18. The Following Member Likes This Post: