Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default Anyone using Positive Grid Bias/JamUp Pro XT?

I just purchased two apps for my Ipad, Both from Positive Grid. One is called Bias, and the other is JamUp Pro. I got them because they were 50% to 75% off, so I figured what the hell.

I had been using Amplitube on my Ipad for practice with my headphones, and was never really impressed with it. I just accepted it for what it was, a cute little headphone app that allowed me to practice quietly at home.

I have to say, the Bias and JamUp pro combo has totally changed my view of IOS based guitar modeling programs.

The JamUp Pro XT program came with a limited number of amps and effects, but they are all the necessary base models that you would want. They offer In-App purchases for additional effects/amps.

When you combine JamUp with the Bias app, the Bias app provides more amplifier options, so you wouldn't need to purchase additional amps in JamUp Pro, because you can export the amps from Bias into JamUp Pro.

The out-of-the-box JamUp program is a very good sound quality, and much more impressive and realistic sounding than the Amplitube program. It is also less noisy than the Amplitube. Even with the standard IRig interface, the JamUp app is much quieter.

Where the magic really happens is when you start modifying the amps in Bias. Once you start manipulating the internals in the amps, you really get some incredible tones. Lets say you want to take a Peavey 5150 II, and give it a Marshall Plexi tone stack, and a '69 Super Lead power section with an American style output transformer. Then you want to bias the pre and power sections hotter or colder, and combine it with any number of speaker cabs. You can do that, and it sounds very convincing.

Maybe you like everything about the '69 Super Lead, but it's just not hot enough sounding. You can add an extra pre-amp stage or two to the amp.

I've been messing with the app, and plugging it into a PA, and it sounds great. It sounds better in mono than in stereo IMO. I've also plugged it into a little Simmons powered monitor, and it sounded equally good.

It sounds so good in-fact, that I'm seriously considering attempting to gig with it. I would need to get an Air-Turn MIDI Bluetooth pedal so that I could boost leads, but other than that, I think it would work.

I figure I plug my guitar into the IRig HD, run my headphones into the Simmons monitor for my guitar monitor, and mic it to run into the PA.

I know we all take pride in our tube amps and collection of effects, and the years of trial and error that it took to achieve "our tone", and I do too. I wouldn't consider replacing my real rig with the virtual one, but it would be cool to be able to have this option for smaller venues when there is not a lot of room for gear. I think the apps are good enough to accomplish this, and that really surprised me.

Has anyone else had experience using these apps, or using an IOS based system live?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.01.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Love Bias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I like it. Good Marshall type tones. It's not good for the 5150. For that I use Ampkit+. 5150 on my phone! Both kill amplitube. Ampkit+ is my favorite. I'm a 5150 guy.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely a cool app for heavier metal tones, but for the old pre 1978-1984 VH tones i prefer guitar rig 5
    Here is a guys clip using it
    https://soundcloud.com/adam10603/van...e-guitar-rig-5
    Last edited by Charvelstrat_81; 01.02.15 at 07:55 AM.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hey, Can any of you guys tell me how much these apps currently are priced? I am a pc guy with amplitube but am seriously considering a Ipad mini for jamming amplitube in the basement and I just might bite the bullet and get the ipad if this is well priced. Thanks!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 717 View Post
    Hey, Can any of you guys tell me how much these apps currently are priced? I am a pc guy with amplitube but am seriously considering a Ipad mini for jamming amplitube in the basement and I just might bite the bullet and get the ipad if this is well priced. Thanks!
    they're both on sale right now for $5 for each app. I just bought both last night. Sounds alright with the old irig plug but Ive heard the better interfaces really make it pop. Im going to get the apogee jam tomorrow

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvelstrat_81 View Post
    Definitely a cool app for heavier metal tones, but for the old pre 1978-1984 VH tones i prefer guitar rig 5
    Here is a guys clip using it
    https://soundcloud.com/adam10603/van...e-guitar-rig-5
    That guy have his patch settings for this somewhere?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!