For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Default Should I Buy This?

A guitar center store has this, a purple quilt Sterling Ax40

I've been looking for one of these for the last year in my price range, I've now found one, but I just bought a Epi SG on craigslist at an impulse this weekend for $200, limiting my cash. I love the purple color, I'm not TOO worried about it not having the "D" series pickups that are supposed to be the same as the Axis guitars. I'm going to college next year, and I'm kind limited on money right now, but this will quench my guitar thirst I've had for over a year.

I have one guitar I'd be willing to part with, and that's my Epi Les Paul Standard. It was my first electric. I have found that I am not fond of the Les Paul shape and style. I would sell this privately and not trade it in if I were to purchase this.

I need help on this, what should I do?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Hey ...

I'd tell you to go for it . The Sterling AX40 guitars are very cool IMO . I too , own the purple/magenta quilt that was sold through Guitar Center . It's easily one of the best playing AX40's I've bought . Nice low action , and the stock pickups just scream as is . Pardon the pun .
    Last edited by RRvh1; 12.30.14 at 04:06 PM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

My toys ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	2631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	2632
    Last edited by RRvh1; 12.30.14 at 04:17 PM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I've also owed the trans red and amber models ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	2634
    Regret selling those two , although I will buy another amber . This time it will be an AX40D ! LOL

I just purchased a trans black quilt off of eBay . Tracking # says I should have it in a day or two ... Yeah - I LOVE these guitars !!!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

I talked to an employee on the phone. He did say there were a few scratches and dings, mostly on the back. Nothing major that any of my other guitars don't have. I'll sleep on it and probably go for it tomorrow.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Right on !!!
    Let me know how you make out with it . Can you post some photos and/or video clips ? I'd be curious to hear your new toy .

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

I plan on it!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Cool !
    Lookin' forward to it , and hope you are happy with your new guitar .

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

It'll fit in with the rest of the collection nicely. The black one I'm going to have to sell to make up for this purchase.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    It'll fit in with the rest of the collection nicely. The black one I'm going to have to sell to make up for this purchase.
    Awesome 'family' photo !!!
    What's the story behind the EBMM looking natural quilt guitar , on the far right ? Is that an OLP or handmade axe ? Love the other ones too .
    Same thing - what's with the VH I guitar ? Looks cool as hell .

P.S. - Kudos for having the fretboard protector on the Peavey Wolfgang !!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    Awesome 'family' photo !!!
    What's the story behind the EBMM looking natural quilt guitar , on the far right ? Is that an OLP or handmade axe ? Love the other ones too .
    Same thing - what's with the VH I guitar ? Looks cool as hell .

P.S. - Kudos for having the fretboard protector on the Peavey Wolfgang !!!
    The EBMM natural is a handbuilt, it was the second electric I've owned. The only thing that's stopping it from being a decent guitar is a shim for the neck. I haven't played since I took the frankenpup out of it and put it in the VH1 I built. I was browsing craigslist one day back in June and found a strat knock off that was less than a mile from my place for $15. The paint was a thick lacquer that was chipping all throughout, terrible setup, all in all not a great playing or looking guitar. I sanded the body down, painted it black, taped, you know the rest. I installed the electronics myself which I am quite proud of. I had a friend set it up and shim it, now it play smoother than the others, second only to the Peavey. The tuners need an upgrade still. The whole project cost about $190 if you count the pickup. $40 without.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks , man .
    You did a great job on the guitar ! Sounds like you know what you're doing , ala EVH . I'm always impressed with stuff like that .
    Cheers

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Reposting image because link died:

I have no idea how it turned out as well as it did.
    Well I just got off the phone and the order has been placed. It will be here in 4-6 days. I don't know what to expect. I know you vouch for the quality of these guitars.
    Give me a walk through of what I should be expecting and what I should do with it if you don't mind. I'm quite excited and anxious.

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Congrats ! Funny - I just got an email update from the USPS saying that my new trans black could be here today

The purple one I have has the lowest action of the bunch . Ultra comfy feel and no 'fretting out' , even with 1 1/2 -2 step bends around the 17th fret . I like the stock pickups on the AX40 guitars too . I've jammed with others as well as practiced on my own . No worries about the sound . Harmonics are a breeze and chords/lead lines sound kick ass IMO . Same goes for all the other ones I've played . The tone is already there for my taste .

I've noticed that some of the fine tuners on the trems don't have a lot of 'play' in them . This could probably be fixed with some WD-40 spray or a similar product . Also it could just be the two guitars that I got . I tried to put D-Tunas on my old Amber and red models , yet the device only dropped a semitone , even after tweaking the fine tuner on the drop D unit ... I read online that others had the same problem , and that it had to do with the base plate of the trem itself . The angle where the fine tuners is was off or something ? Because of those two issues , I put Floyd Rose Special trem on my main AX40's .Problem solved !!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	286.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	2638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	288.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	2639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	285.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	2640

None of this should scare you . The guitars look great , they feel great , and they sound great . I really like them and hope you have good luck with yours !!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Thanks for the high quality response. The factory trems are good quality though and can withstand a good VH-like beating on them (Judgement Day. This kills the cheap trem)?
    I'm not too worried about the D-Tuna, I have one on my Peavey as you see above and that works.
    I think what I will end up doing is the Peavey will probably stay at Eb tuning along with the Franky. The SG and the Ax40 will stay at standard tuning (the SG will probably be at Standard 430 though).
    I'll use the former two for the old stuff and the Ax40 for Sam stuff. What do you do and why do you have so many Ax40's?