Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Lap Steel Guitar

Hey...do any of you play lap steel? I'm not talking about a dobro, but an electric lap steel guitar.

I'm going to get one once I get back from my TDY and get some per diem money. I'm actually looking at the Rogue RLS-1 Lap Steel Guitar and then immediately upgrading the pickup.

Any recommendations? Thoughts?

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I'd love to play pedal steel, but they're very, very expensive. Besides, I've watched some videos and think I can figure out how to bend a string behind the slide to help me get that pedal bend-y sound.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

I play 6 and 8 string electric lap steel and 10 string pedal steel. I wouldn't know the first thing about replacement pickups because I've always used what came in my instruments. I think the Rogue is a great instrument and I don't think it is necessary to change the pickup. It is basically a copy of the Fender Champ lap steel. Pedal steels are expensive and you have to really work on theory in order to really be able to play them. I'm not very good at it, but I can play a few simple things.

6 string electric lap steel is good fun and easy if you are used to playing slide already...typically you would be playing in open E or Em like David Gilmour.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I play 6 and 8 string electric lap steel and 10 string pedal steel. I wouldn't know the first thing about replacement pickups because I've always used what came in my instruments. I think the Rogue is a great instrument and I don't think it is necessary to change the pickup. It is basically a copy of the Fender Champ lap steel. Pedal steels are expensive and you have to really work on theory in order to really be able to play them. I'm not very good at it, but I can play a few simple things.

6 string electric lap steel is good fun and easy if you are used to playing slide already...typically you would be playing in open E or Em like David Gilmour.
    Hey! Me too. I've played 6 and 8 string. Sold my 8 years ago, but kept my old Gretsch 6. I usually do open D or E major, but there are so many cool variations. My dad loved slide players so listened to many when I was young but Gilmour really clinched it for me on One Of These Days live from DSOT. That had the most cool sound so I just had to go for it. I'd honestly leave the pickup. I've switched out a few in lap steels and I have gone back to the originals. You actually have way more versatility with lower output cleaner pickups.

You can still overdrive the poo out of the stock setup anyway. Another thing that's great to have with the lap steel is a volume pedal. You can really add some character to your playing with them by rolling into phrases. With the more headroom available with the stock pickups, rolling up the volume gives you some cool gritty swells at your disposal.
    Sounds great with slide.
    Also, and just my 2 cents...try the Dunlop 925 bar (slide). It's been my favorite. Nice weight and is very comfortable.
    Good luck with the LS!