Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:55 AM
    Liked 11,788 Times in 6,534 Posts

Premium Member

Default Vermont Abandons Pursuit For Single Payer Healthcare

Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin (D) has abandoned a years-long push for a universal health-care system in the state after budget analysts said the program would require what he called “enormous” new taxes.

Shumlin had proposed what he called the Green Mountain Care plan, which would have put Vermont on track to provide publicly-financed health care starting in 2017.

But Michael Costa, Shumlin’s deputy director of health care reform, concluded the plan would have required an 11.5 percent payroll tax on all Vermont businesses and an income tax hike of up to 9.5 percent. Those taxes wouldn’t have covered transition costs to the new system, which would have amounted to at least $500 million.

“These are simply not tax rates that I can responsibly support or urge the legislature to pass,” Shumlin said in a speech Wednesday. “In my judgment, the potential economic disruption and risks would be too great to small businesses, working families and the state’s economy.”

Shumlin blamed slower-than-expected economic growth after the recession that forced the state to make steep budget cuts. Federal funding for the transition would have been $150 million less than initially projected, costs the state would have had to absorb.

“Pushing for single payer health care financing when the time isn’t right and it would likely hurt our economy is not good for Vermont and it would not be good for true health care reform,” Shumlin said. “Now is not the right time to ask our legislature to take the step of passing a financing plan for Green Mountain Care.”

The administration’s budget officials tried to find ways to pay for the program without the tax hikes, though no one could come up with a solution that prevented the tax hikes.

In an op-ed released by Shumlin’s office, he called the move to scrap universal care “one of the most difficult decisions of my public life.”

Instead of universal health care, Shumlin said he would pursue other avenues to reduce health-care costs, such as paying for quality of outcomes rather than quantity of services, and improving information technology systems.

Republicans cheered the decision to abandon the push for a single-payer system. Lt. Gov. Phil Scott (R) called the move “a definitive step in the right direction for Vermonters, Vermont businesses and Vermont’s economy.”

“Businesses cannot afford an 11.5 percent payroll tax, individuals cannot afford a 9.5 percent income tax, our State cannot afford a $2.6 billion bill, and Vermont cannot afford to continue down this path of uncertainty,” Scott said in a statement. “We’ve already spent far too much money exploring this idea, and the discussion has paralyzed our business community.”

More than 41,000 Vermonters were made eligible for Medicaid or Children’s Health Insurance Programs under the Affordable Care Act and another 38,000 had signed up for coverage as of April, according to statistics maintained by the pro-ACA Kaiser Family Foundation. Just 9.3 percent of Vermonters were uninsured before the Affordable Care Act was passed, one of the lower rates in the nation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...r-health-care/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,192 Times in 8,988 Posts

It is just so amazing to me that we could take something so simple, universal single payer option, and make it so complicated and expensive.

Expand Medicare and Medicaid, and raise the Medicare tax proportionately. Done.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Blankety blank blank, bad idea. Are death threats still considered taboo on this website??
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 12.18.14 at 03:16 PM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    It is just so amazing to me that we could take something so simple, universal single payer option, and make it so complicated and expensive.

Expand Medicare and Medicaid, and raise the Medicare tax proportionately. Done.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Insurance companies have so much power that switching to a universal care model will be near impossible.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,192 Times in 8,988 Posts

There are three basic models for health care without devolving into a long debate. Canadian, UK, and Germany. Variations of course, but those are three main ones used as examples in health care models done by the Federal Trade Commission.

We here in America, in true melting pot fashion, take portions from each (and not necessarily the best portions) and make a true bizarre health industry stew out of it.

Mind boggling. We really need to hit the reset button on it and start over, but no one can every admit a mistake. And there were mistakes made all around, not just Obama.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!