Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default 5 Reasons Jeb Bush Is A 2016 Front-Runner — And 5 Reasons He Isn't

http://www.businessinsider.com/5-rea...e-isnt-2014-12

With his announcement of plans to "actively explore" running for president, former Florida Gov. Jeb. Bush is now — in the minds of many Republican donors and other party leaders — an early front-runner for the GOP's next presidential nomination.

Columnist Charles Krauthammer said Jeb Bush’s probable entry into the 2016 presidential race makes him the “instant frontrunner” for the GOP nomination on “Special Report” Tuesday. The conservative commentator also said his entry will “discourage” some of the fringe candidates” from running.

There are good reasons for that. There are also good reasons why it's far too soon to anoint Bush as the early pacesetter in the Republican race.

A look at a few arguments in favor of, and opposed to, Bush's strong status:

In Favor:

1. The Bush Name

As the brother and son of former Republican presidents, Bush's family connections make him the ultimate safe bet for the GOP's biggest donors, who above all want to reclaim the White House. He will inherit the Bushes' national political network, which includes elected officials and activists nationwide, and deep-pocketed donors in New York, Florida, and Texas.

2. Hispanic Voters

Bush is a fluent Spanish speaker, is married to a native of Mexico and is the former governor of a state in which nearly a quarter of residents identify as Hispanic or Latino. He has continued to support a pathway to citizenship for immigrants living in the US illegally in the face of fervent opposition among conservatives. Like few other Republicans, Bush has the potential to win over a growing group of voters who have voted solidly for Democrats in the past several elections.

3. Florida Experience

In his two campaigns for governor, Bush won at least 55 percent of the vote in what remains the most crucial of presidential swing states. He established a long record as an executive during his time in office, from 1999 to 2007, and in the years since has grown a private equity business. That's a record he can contrast against many potential White House rivals, whose shorter resumes are focused on serving in an unpopular Congress.

4. Ideas Guy

Bush is viewed as a policy wonk with expertise in some of the nation's most pressing issues. He led a nonprofit education organization, where he made innovation a priority. Bush could paint himself as an ideas man in a party eager to coalesce around a positive agenda.

5. Electability

Many political operatives suggest Bush gives the GOP the best chance of securing the 270 electoral votes needed to win the White House. He gives Republicans a good chance to win his home state of Florida, as well as Ohio, which his brother won twice. He's also poised to do well in states with large Latino populations, like Colorado and Nevada. As a candidate considered less conservative than some White House prospects, he could help the GOP in swing states like Wisconsin, Virginia, Iowa, and New Hampshire.

Opposed:

1. The Bush Name

This one cuts both ways. Bush's family connections could turn off conservatives who are still upset about the government growth that took place during George W. Bush's presidency. Some Republicans are already rolling their eyes about another Bush-Clinton contest, should Democrats select Hillary Rodham Clinton as their nominee.

2. Campaign Rust

Bush hasn't been a candidate for any office since 2002, when he won his second term as Florida's governor. That was years before the tea party transformed Republican politics. Twitter didn't exist, nor did the video trackers who now record a candidate's every move. Bush is certainly familiar with the pressure of presidential politics, but it's unclear how he would handle the intensity of a modern-day campaign.

3. Immigration

Bush has made immigration, including providing a pathway to citizenship for immigrants living in the country illegally, one of his signature issues. There is perhaps no more explosive issue among conservatives than what they call "amnesty," and Bush is showing few signs of backing off on a position viewed as a deal breaker by many conservatives.

4. Common Core

Bush has been an aggressive proponent of the Common Core education standards often demonized by conservative activists. The voluntary standards were developed and adopted by governors in both parties before critics painted them as a government takeover of education. Most ambitious Republicans have come out against the standards in recent months, while Bush has stood firm in defense of them.

5. Business Ties

A former commercial real estate developer, Bush missed out on the housing boom of the late 1990s and early 2000s. He's tried to make up for it since leaving office. Bush advised Lehman Brothers shortly before its epic collapse and more recently ramped up his work as a partner in a Florida-based private equity and business advisory group. Opposition researchers in both parties are already sifting through records of Bush's business interests, looking for attack fodder.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 12.17.14 at 06:08 PM.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Banned!
    Last Online

It's already there for people to read.

Last Online

Premium Member

You changed the title. Regardless of how you do things on "your" forum, in my book that's plagiarism. Sorry if you can't comprehend that.

A Google search does not take you directly to the exact article because of your slight altercation.

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    You changed the title. Regardless of how you do things on "your" forum, in my book that's plagiarism. Sorry if you can't comprehend that.

A Google search does not take you directly to the exact article because of your slight altercation.
    Changing the title to fit properly in forum's title section is now plagiarism?

Last edited by Hot Sauce; 12.17.14 at 02:52 PM.

Last Online

Premium Member

I'm sorry you feel the need to be so contemptible. It's a simple courtesy to include a link, and you refuse to acknowledge it. Flies, honey and vinegar I guess.

Banned!
    Last Online

I'm sorry you feel the need to be so contemptible. It's a simple courtesy to include a link, and you refuse to acknowledge it. Flies, honey and vinegar I guess.
    I don't know why you give a shit when the article is there to read. Oh well. Probably best that you don't join my forum - you would probably be anal about every little thing that no one else has a problem with.

Last Online

Premium Member

I like to check the source before replying. That's easy enough to understand.

Your forum has nothing to do with it.

If I asked you to remove your shoes before entering my home, would you refuse and dirty my carpets?

Banned!
    Last Online

I like to check the source before replying. That's easy enough to understand.

Your forum has nothing to do with it.

If I asked you to remove your shoes before entering my home, would you refuse and dirty my carpets?
    Depends on if I am wearing my silk socks or not. I am not going to ruin my socks because your house is a fucking dump.

Last Online

Premium Member

Nice!

You're clever, but you've insulted my humble home.

Banned!
    Last Online

Nice!

You're clever, but you've insulted my humble home.
    I am sure it's beautiful. You just can't be too sure with silk socks. They cost a pretty penny.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Changing the title to fit properly in forum's title section is now plagiarism?

nope but failing to cite your sources is a no no around here

second warning Hot Sauce....if you are posting from the media it only takes a few seconds to put a line at the beginning of your first post giving the publication

it really makes all the difference in credibility...of both the source material and you, Hot Sauce

three strikes and you are out. next time you start a thread without citing your sources I will delete it

forewarned

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    nope but failing to cite your sources is a no no around here

second warning Hot Sauce....if you are posting from the media it only takes a few seconds to put a line at the beginning of your first post giving the publication

it really makes all the difference in credibility...of both the source material and you, Hot Sauce

three strikes and you are out. next time you start a thread without citing your sources I will delete it

forewarned
    I will conform to your moderation demands, but what was the first warning?

Last Online

Premium Member

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...erica-Is-Now-2

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:01 AM
    Liked 16,546 Times in 9,380 Posts

"And somebody said 'Fair warning, strike that poor boy down!'"

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"