Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 298 Times in 143 Posts

Default Question for fans that are roughly 45 or older

For those of you that were old enough to be serious VH fans during the CVH years (I'm figuring those born after about 1970 were probably too young to really appreciate those years while they were happening but realize I could be wrong), how many of you entered the Sammy years as serious CVH fans and left the Sammy years as more a fan of Sammy than DLR. Speaking for myself, the change in sound did not work at all for me so I hit the road but I wonder if some people grew to like Van Hagar more than CVH. I get that people who came on board during the Sammy years were obviously attracted to his sound and would be more likely to be in the Sammy camp, but again, did anyone become a convert during the Sammy years? If you became a fan after 1984, this question doesn't really apply but feel free to share your input if you like.
    I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault and I have no faults.
    - DLR

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

I'm 43, and I started rocking out to VH after hearing ATCWR in my brothers car.

I grew to like and appreciate the Sam era, but it was just never the same for me. I will always prefer the first six albums, even though I now love 5150 and Balance, they are still just a notch below the original six for me, and always will be.

And I liked the shows better. The DD and 1984 shows I saw were the tits. 5150 was close for me, but something was just not right.

And I fully understand how people that came to the band because of Sam or after Sam feel totally different. There is always a special nostalgia for everyone for their first band.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:02 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

not 45, only 42 BUT....

I got into VH in 1982, the first video I remember ever seeing was (oh) pretty woman. First cassette I bought for myself was 1984. I didn't flip it over for a few months but once I did I was floored by GGB and HOP. I was hooked. I was not happy when I heard Dave was out. I knew who Sammy was but didn't know how it would work. I heard WCTBL on the radio, I didn't know it was VH and when they said it was I was floored. I liked the song alot but the only way I really got any exposure to new music at the time (1986) was on MTV. VH didn't do any vids for 5150 and Dave did so I assumed that EEAS was a much bigger success than what VH was doing at the time. MTV then started playing the Blue Angles Dreams video and I really, really like that song. then they aired "unleashed" and I watched it and I was hooked. I just loved what they were doing, I loved the way they interacted...they were just the coolest, most down to earth guys I had seen at that point in time. I bought 5150 probably in October of 1986 and I literally listened to it every day until OU812 was released, maybe not the whole thing but at least a couple of songs a day.

I love the Sam era of the band. I understand why Dave era fans don't dig it but I think some people just have to get over it at this point.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I was born in 1970. I remember the day my brother brought home Van Halen's first album. I remember the car horns and the bass thumping and Runnin' With the Devil blasting from the speakers. I was hooked. I used to sneak into his room when he was away to listen to Van Halen and sat in his room with him for as long as he would allow me. I would listen to the whole record. I saw my first Van Halen show when I was 10, my second at 12, and my third at 14. It was all about Eddie Van Halen for me.

When Roth left the band in 1985, I remember my friends freaking out. They said it was the end of Van Halen. When the radio station announced that Sammy Hagar was joining the band, I knew we were okay. I loved Sammy's music and his personality. When my buddy and I heard WCTBL on the radio, I literally looked at him and said David Lee Who. After I got 5150 the album, I was just blown away at how different and how awesome they sounded. It was like having two truly different eras of Van Halen, but with the common denominator of Eddie's sound. I always liked Sammy's personality better than Roth's so it was easy for me to embrace and champion what was going on when he joined the band. When I saw them live in 1986, the deal was double sealed for me. Van Hagar will always be my favorite years, but I still love the CVH years and I still listen to that era everyday.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

I was a Ronnie Montrose fan before VH was a band. I knew who Sammy was and knew about his stellar pipes. I was totally pissed when Dave left but happy to hear Sammy was in. Never kept me from going or buying VH stuff. I don't have a favorite singer I'd just go to see the brothers do instrumental if it would get them on a stage.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

9. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

45 and even though I got into CVH kind of late, they were my favorite band by 84. I actually preferred Sammy during his tenure to be honest however over the years, that entire era of music from 85 to Nevermind has gotten a bit stale. Unfortunately for me Van Hagar is like that. I go through periods where I play it more often than CVH but that is only about 10% of the time.

That said I remember siding with the boys over Dave. I probably never worn out a tape like I did with 5150. I think I went through three of them. I wish I enjoyed it more like some of my friends.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

I got into Van Halen in 1978 at a young age. My older sister had the VH1 8track tape. I played the shit out of it. She kept on getting their albums when they came out and my first VH album that was purchased for me was Fair Warning.
    When Sammy joined all I had heard by him was 3 lock box and I cant drive 55. I didn't like either of those songs and I really didn't like the bubblegum pop music he was writing. It just wasn't what I was into at the time. I did buy the solo album he did with Ed on bass but haven't listened to it in a long time. I only bought it because Eddie was on it. Aside from VH my other favorite was Maiden.

Van Halen was my favorite band so I put up with it, actually enjoyed the shows a lot but I am glad he is no longer the frontman of Van Halen
    Last edited by sickman; 12.17.14 at 01:21 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Default Question for fans that are roughly 45 or older

Born in 71 but been a fan of VH since 81 and saw them live at 13 in 1984. Not a Sam fan before VH but grew to like him in the band. Was totally bummed when Dave left. I never favored the Sam stuff over Dave but I definitely took the band's side over Dave. I was learning to play guitar so Ed was it for me. What he did I followed. I liked some of Dave's solo stuff but I definitely was in the VH camp when he left. I'm ok with either Dave or Sam out front but bummed that Mike isn't around.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

13. The Following 8 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I'm 46. I bought 1984 on release day when I was 15 and honestly didn't know much about them before that. I do remember watching the US Festival highlight shows though on (I think) Showtime during the summer of 1983 and that was really the first time I had a visual impression of all those hard rock bands that were there. Even though I got into them at the tail end of the Dave era I didn't have time to develop an attachment to that lineup. Really 1983-1984 was when I really started getting into rock in general and was able to start buying my own music. I'd say probably by the end of 1985 I had most of the back catalogs of my favorite bands but even though I knew all of VH's albums by the time Sammy came in I had never seen them live (other than on TV with the US Festival stuff) nor had I had the music for very long. So I wasn't really emotionally invested in who was in the band. Eddie was so much of what I enjoyed about it I just don't remember being all that upset at the change of singer. And by that time I owned and really liked Standing Hampton, Three Lock Box, and VOA so I had no problem with Sammy. I still remember watching them jam Rock and Roll together at Farm Aid on MTV in 1985.

I was going to see the very first Sammy show in Shreveport near the end of my senior year, most of my friends did go, but I ended up visiting my mom in south Texas instead. I still remember looking at the photos a friend took at the show when we were back in school. I think it was during spring break. I don't know, I like both eras about the same with a slight nod towards Dave. But there's also just more music there, 7 albums to 4. Live, as an actual musical experience, not just a place to get drunk and hit on girls, it's not even close. I still love watching and listening to Sammy era VH concerts on album and video. Dave's fun, but unless you're there at the time it just doesn't work the same as a pure musical event. Really curious to see how this live album comes out (if that's really what's coming).

I still maintain that for most of those who prefer the first six albums it's less about the lineup and more about the era. Dave is an association with that era, not the cause. Even the rock bands that didn't have lineup changes changed drastically starting in the early to mid-80s. Because I see the same thing with a lot of Rush fans about the early mid 80s and there was no lineup change. I'm sure if there had been whoever came in would have been crucified and blamed as well. The pop mentality with electronic drums and keyboards and all that was something almost no band escaped. The fact that VH had a singer change then makes it seem like THAT was the reason for the change but it was happening anyway.

Think about someone like Led Zeppelin. I think their legacy was protected because they didn't evolve into and through the 80s. I can promise you they would have been right in the thick of all that cheesiness, too and people would be talking about the early stuff as a different band as well. You could already see it coming on In Through the Out Door. And I say all that having grown up in the 80s and loving it then and remembering it fondly now, all the stuff that sounds "dated" to most people is just nostalgic to me. But the bottom line is for those bands that were a part of it is they will always have a stigma about that era.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

I've always wondered about the the early VH fans that went on to prefer the Sam era. Assume most of the Van Hagar preference came from younger fans, but we know there are converts around (Redfoot ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Born in 71 but been a fan of VH since 81 and saw them live at 13 in 1984.
    Almost exactly the same. Got into VH 1981. Totally obsessed 1982-1984 (+1986-1988).

Saw my first VH concert 1984/LA Forum at 13 too.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 12.17.14 at 02:23 PM.

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

My first VH show was Largo, MD 1982. I saw the second show, so I am not sure if that is the famous one or not, I am sure someone on here knows which one they filmed.

My brother is ten years older than me, so at that age I thought he was the coolest. He liked VH and took me to shows, and that just became my band.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I still maintain that for most of those who prefer the first six albums it's less about the lineup and more about the era. Dave is an association with that era, not the cause. The fact that VH had a singer change then makes it seem like THAT was the reason for the change but it was happening anyway.

yeah I totally agree with that. the VH debate is never about the singer necessarily...it's really the music in total. For me...I just like VH music much better when they were younger, hungrier and more dangerous I suppose. Also think Eddie did his most mind-blowing stuff in that period. I'd say even 1986+1988 he was still going strong w some innovative work.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Favorite VH Album

Anything with DLR
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 175 Times in 81 Posts

I turned 50 in October. I can remember my friend bringing home Van Halen I in '78 like it was yesterday. We were freaking out, we had never heard guitar being played that well before. That album was FIERCE, the best way I could describe it at the time. Going to the record store to run and grab the new Van Halen album was like Christmas.

I saw VH in San Diego in May '84 during my 1st year in the Navy (I'm a retired Chief), one of the nights that the eventual bootlegs came from. Seeing VH in their relative backyard, at their pinnacle, playing 3 nights at the San Diego Sports Arena, was the greatest concert experience I've seen, and there hasn't been one close since.

And then I went overseas for several years, and Sam joined VH. Sigh. I didn't have any ill regard for Sam in his Montrose or solo stuff before then, it was decent rock music. And I'll admit, the music he made with Van Halen was certainly respectable. I've always said that my fav Van Hagar tune was their version of "One Way To Rock".

But it was nowhere near Roth-led Van Halen. The songs were much more elementary and/or basic, and the lyrics were horrendous. Most importantly, IMO it certainly appeared that they had lost that "fierceness" from Van Halen I, and most of the Hagar era, again IMO, was merely coasting.

Just my .02, I'm too damn old to sling the mud anymore, could care less if you prefer Sam. But I'm up for the occasional debate....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. Iím an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

22. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 122 Times in 44 Posts

I'm 50 and lucky enough to have been there when VH broke out. Like Va Beach Fan states Ed's playing just blew everyone away. It was mind blowing at the time. So for me, my enjoyment has always come from Ed's playing and I enjoy Ed's playing more when he plays with Dave than with Sam...ADKOT included.
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Born in 1972, but my brother was born in 1968 and I grew up in his shadow, so even though I was young, I got into the band fairly early. We had a bitchin' grandmother that used to buy my brother and I the top 40 45s for our birthdays. After a few years, we had hundreds of 45s. In April 1979, my grandmother bought me the "Dance the Night Away" 45 -- that was my introduction. However, at age 7, I was only about singles, so that was it until "Pretty Woman" hit in January 1982. That was when we went ALL IN. By Christmas we had all five albums. Concerts in Houston were rough in the late 70s/early 80s and my brother and I were not allowed to go to the Diver Down concert (the main impetus was a Stones concert in 1981 at the Astrodome where there were a dozen stabbings and a murder).

When the US Festival footage hit Showtime in 1983 -- it was like football and Star Wars all rolled into one. 1984 was the ultimate year ever -- the concert (which my older sister chaperoned us to) was the greatest concert experience of my entire life. I literally heard through the grapevine at the local guitar store that Dave was out and Sammy was in. I got all the news that one afternoon in 1985 from my guitar teacher. My initial reaction was that it could be pretty cool, but was shocked when my instructor said he hated Sammy Hagar.

When the "WCTBL"/"Get Up" 45 came out, not only was I at the record store the day it came out, we had the record store owner play "Get Up" since we had never heard it. We lived and breathed 5150 in 1986. I was fortunate to see them twice during 1986 -- at the Texxas Jam in Dallas and in Houston. I was ALL IN.

I was all over OU812 -- learned it top to bottom. Saw them at Rice Stadium for Monsters of Rock. I remember hearing "Poundcake" on the radio for the first time as a freshman in college and loved it.

But the change for me really came when my responsibility for writing lyrics for songs I wrote for my own band fell in my lap. I sucked at first, but got better. My girlfriend in college was pretty smart and a good editor and could spot a cliche from a mile away. So I worked really, really hard to avoid cliches, which is not easy to do.

I can't say when the moment was, but it wasn't pleasant when I finally admitted to my more grown-up self that Sammy's lyrics were awful and even meaningless at best. A decent line here or there, but his overall body of lyrics with VH is an abomination. When Balance came out....I was ALL OUT. I didn't even buy it. I remember arguing with my brother over the album. I told him I thought "Can't Stop Loving You" was the worst song I had ever heard. His response was, "Man, that's like mine and Susan's song, dude." He was a sappy guy...

My buddy and I saw VH in Austin in 1991, and Sammy's performance was awful. He complained that he drank too much the night before in Dallas. I was like "Fuck you, dude. I paid good money to see this show, asshole."

I raised my son on CVH. He's 12 now and when we hear songs from 5150, he almost always says, "I wish Dave had sung on that" or "I wonder what that would sound like with Dave's vocals." When I hear 5150 now, it's weird for me. I love the music so much but can't stand the lyrics.

I do have to say though that "Right Now" is absolutely one of my favorite VH tracks of all time -- music and lyrics. Great song -- they did hit it out of the park with that tune. Funny, but I also have a huge love of "Runaround" -- not the greatest lyrics, but still a great song.

I'm definitely a fan whose opinion has morphed and changed over time for sure. When I turned on Sammy, I kind of turned on the music as well, but over time, I have fallen back in love with lots of Hagar-era music, just not the vocals. You know something funny though? I NEVER turn the radio off of a Van Hagar song. I just like listening for the fascination and time-capsule aspect of it.

Who knows what my opinion will be 20 years from now...

KBD3

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: