Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Van Halen Needed Sammy Hagar To Survive

I know that many people here will laugh at that subject title, but it is the truth.

Van Halen wouldn't have done well with Roth in the mid to late 80's and early 90's and like many other bands that changed styles to appeal to hard rock fans of the time and yes be more commercial - Van Halen needed Sammy Hagar to implement that change.

I think Eddie understood that Dave was no longer right for whatever vision he had for the future of Van Halen. Now you may not care, but Van Halen with David Lee Roth were just not going to be competitive against many of the hair bands and reinvented versions of Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and every other 70's band that changed their style in the 80's. Even if you think those bands suck.

And Van Halen were changing musically to a more commercial sound anyway with or without Hagar, so the music just wouldn't have sounded right with David Lee Roth singing and it wouldn't have done that well.

For better or worse, Van Halen dodged a bullet by getting rid of Roth and getting Sammy Hagar - he made it work for Van Halen and their success continued allowing for the band to survive at that time when everyone was changing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

I beg to differ. A lot of people will YAWN at this subject title. Yawn.
    Little Dreamer

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 298 Times in 143 Posts

Someday I may find myself stranded on an island and find that I need to drink own urine and eat my own poop to survive. At that point, I'll let myself die. An analogy from a DLR fan.
    I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault and I have no faults.
    - DLR

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 16,533 Times in 9,370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    I know that many people here will laugh at that subject title, but it is the truth.

Van Halen wouldn't have done well with Roth in the mid to late 80's and early 90's and like many other bands that changed styles to appeal to hard rock fans of the time and yes be more commercial - Van Halen needed Sammy Hagar to implement that change.

I think Eddie understood that Dave was no longer right for whatever vision he had for the future of Van Halen. Now you may not care, but Van Halen with David Lee Roth were just not going to be competitive against many of the hair bands and reinvented versions of Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and every other 70's band that changed their style in the 80's. Even if you think those bands suck.

And Van Halen were changing musically to a more commercial sound anyway with or without Hagar, so the music just wouldn't have sounded right with David Lee Roth singing and it wouldn't have done that well.

For better or worse, Van Halen dodged a bullet by getting rid of Roth and getting Sammy Hagar - he made it work for Van Halen and their success continued allowing for the band to survive at that time when everyone was changing.
    I would agree with this post, but then we'd BOTH be dead wrong.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I would agree with this post, but then we'd BOTH be dead wrong.
    Nope. It's really not even up for debate. Bon Jovi and Poison would have done much better than Van Halen with Roth still in the band. This isn't an attack on Dave, but the reality that a more commercial sounding Van Halen wouldn't be appropriate for David Lee Roth and that's fine if you wouldn't want DLR in a more Foreigner style version of Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I disagree with all of it. In fact if it weren't for Van Halen, Sammy Hagar wouldn't be any where near as successful as he is today. He just wouldn't have had the popularity or money to do it.

But as far as Van Halen not being successful through out the mid 80's with Roth is laughable. They were at their peak in 1984 when Dave left. To say they wouldn't have lasted you are lumping them in with the other "hair" bands, which VH is not a hair band, the likes of Bullet Boys, White Lion, Ratt etc. Dave would have adapted and Eddie would have still wrote killer music. Also, the thought that Dave wouldn't have sounded right singing the more commercial type songs, like what? Are you talking about songs Sammy wrote? Dave would put great lyrics to ANY music EVH wrote and it would have sold like crazy.

There is a reason Van Halen is still played so much on US radio today and it has nothing to do with Sammy Hagar.

9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Nope. It's really not even up for debate. Bon Jovi and Poison would have done much better than Van Halen with Roth still in the band. This isn't an attack on Dave, but the reality that a more commercial sounding Van Halen wouldn't be appropriate for David Lee Roth and that's fine if you wouldn't want DLR in a more Foreigner style version of Van Halen.

Again, that is your opinion, and it's wrong

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

I'm just going to refer to you as Mild Salsa on here from now on. More faux provocateurism. A sea of boring.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Anything with DLR
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 175 Times in 81 Posts

So after 1984 sold over 10 million albums, for their second Diamond album, yet another sold out tour, all of a sudden Van Halen "wouldn't survive" with DLR?

Van Halen was playing multiple nights at many, many major US cities on the 1984 tour. Along with a new album in 1985 or 1986 which undoubtedly would have been yet another multi-platinum seller, they would have playing stadiums on that tour, nearing Zeppelin/Who/Stones status. That's how big Van Halen was back then.

Serious question, and I'm not trying to be a smartass - Did you actually see Van Halen in the original Roth era?
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

15. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wtf
    Are you on drugs ?
    If not, get some !
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I disagree with all of it. In fact if it weren't for Van Halen, Sammy Hagar wouldn't be any where near as successful as he is today. He just wouldn't have had the popularity or money to do it.

But as far as Van Halen not being successful through out the mid 80's with Roth is laughable. They were at their peak in 1984 when Dave left. To say they wouldn't have lasted you are lumping them in with the other "hair" bands, which VH is not a hair band, the likes of Bullet Boys, White Lion, Ratt etc. Dave would have adapted and Eddie would have still wrote killer music. Also, the thought that Dave wouldn't have sounded right singing the more commercial type songs, like what? Are you talking about songs Sammy wrote? Dave would put great lyrics to ANY music EVH wrote and it would have sold like crazy.

There is a reason Van Halen is still played so much on US radio today and it has nothing to do with Sammy Hagar.
    I concur...

WHERE IS THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN? 📢📢📢📡📡📡
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

I don’t know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    they would have playing stadiums on that tour, nearing Zeppelin/Who/Stones status.
    I don’t know about that either.

The follow up with Roth led VH would have been huge. How long VH would have stayed relevant with Dave is anyone’s guess. Dave left at the peak but would he have been able to keep them there? Don’t know. I think VH success with Sam, especially in the climate into the 1990’s would have been difficult for anyone to maintain through that era. I think it was to the band’s advantage in the long run to have Sammy at the helm for those 10 years. I think if the 1996 reunion could have stuck, that would have secured the legacy of the band….but it didn’t.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Love this guy.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Van Halen had great success with both frontmen. I do think Sammy adapted better to the changing music styles of the late 80s and the direction Eddie seemed to be headed after 1984. For my money, when you take WACF, FW, DD, 1984, 5150, and OU812 into consideration, Van Halen, no matter the singer, owned the 1980s.

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    So after 1984 sold over 10 million albums, for their second Diamond album, yet another sold out tour, all of a sudden Van Halen "wouldn't survive" with DLR?

Van Halen was playing multiple nights at many, many major US cities on the 1984 tour. Along with a new album in 1985 or 1986 which undoubtedly would have been yet another multi-platinum seller, they would have playing stadiums on that tour, nearing Zeppelin/Who/Stones status. That's how big Van Halen was back then.

Serious question, and I'm not trying to be a smartass - Did you actually see Van Halen in the original Roth era?
    It wouldn't be the first time in music history that a band is incredibly successful in one year and go bust the next. Many long term band were overshadowed by the new bands at the time. Van Halen needed the resurrection. And Van Halen were never anything close Zeppelin/Who/Stones status - outside of America, Van Halen doesn't do that well.

I have seen Van Halen with Roth many times actually and while the band was awesome - Roth often sucked. He was never known for being great live.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post: