Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 3,884 Times in 1,968 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If four multi-millionaires, in which one of the members OWNS his own studio, can't get together and make an album because of the costs involved, then how do all these start up bands with $2 of change in a Ragu jar somehow figure it out?

The cost factor is just a convenient excuse that sounds good to most fans. I am just not buying it, not from them.

Some bands like Kix, or White Lion, whose didn't make much money when they were hot and their best days are way behind them, yeah, I can see the cost being prohibitive. But Chickenfoot? Shit no.

It seems hard to understand for me too but there has to be something to it, I think. Technically, you're right, they should be able to do it much cheaper than they do, especially if they have their own studio. But these musicians have many decades of experience doing things a certain way in certain conditions so in the practical sense I think there is a prohibitive cost that must be overcome. There are just too many of these major rock band members who have said the same thing.

Obviously Sammy above..

Then Eddie (who as we all know has his own studio) in 2010 made fairly obvious references to the financial risk of record making:

Why go to all the trouble, spend all of that time in the studio and spend tons of your own money—there aren’t even any record labels anymore to put our shit out—to record a new album when people are only going to complain about it or ignore it or somebody is going to download it from the internet for free? We might not record something new. There’s an element of satisfaction and joy to creating something new, but not when it comes solely at your own expense...

Three frickin' mentions of the expense of making a record in one paragraph.

And Neil Peart also in 2010 said this:

"I know that the mechanism that brought us up doesn't exist anymore," he says. "For instance, a perfect example of how reversed it is, in those days we made no money touring for a long time, even into the successful years. You counted on record sales and songwriting to make your living. And touring was a way to publicize that. Suddenly, in the last 10, 15 years all that turned around and our income is entirely from touring, and recording is an indulgence. In a band like Rush, no one's going to pay us to make a record. It's going to be an indulgence. Even Snakes and Arrows basically paid for itself and that's it, and if we want to make a living beyond that we have to go on the road and tour."

S&A sold over 93,000 in its first week alone. And he says it only broke even.

Now, you could say "well it's their own fault for spending months recording and keeping a production team together that long and all that". That may be, but they've all grown accustomed to doing it that way, not doing it in a garage with a Tascam by themselves in a week like some high school kids. What I'm saying is that it may not be a technical necessity, but it is a practical one for all of them at this point. That's the way I see it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 1,359 Times in 875 Posts

Will you just get fuckin' Bonham to join already?

I'll tell you what...with The Foot and all....they were always hands down my favorite VH derivative. Over the Yankee Rose Band, Montrose, The Wabos, Extreme--but I really, REALLY missed hearing Van Hagar in '09-'12.

I'm almost rooting for The Circle to do more than just tour, and actually record. Love Vic and all, but definitely new music with Joe playing is the key. I'll take Vic though. Actually, Sammy and Mikey ('s background vocals) are the key.

Ideally, like I said: Sammy, Mike, Joe, and John as Chickenfoot. Play Foot songs, Van Hagar, Zep, solo, Montrose. Record every couple years and retire with them (hopefully many years from now). Then he'd be retiring with Mike, one of the best all-time guitarists, and a member of Led Zeppelin's son. What more could you ask for?

Well, retiring with Van Halen, of course...
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 01:36 PM
    Liked 1,898 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post

Ideally, like I said: Sammy, Mike, Joe, and John as Chickenfoot. Play Foot songs, Van Hagar, Zep, solo, Montrose. Record every couple years and retire with them (hopefully many years from now). Then he'd be retiring with Mike, one of the best all-time guitarists, and a member of Led Zeppelin's son. What more could you ask for?

Well, retiring with Van Halen, of course...
    I like your point but in some ways, all of that has already happened. I think that's where Sam's head was at in 2009 (retire with CF). Now it's five years later, he's done 2 CF albums and he is seemingly shifting in retirement mode as we speak. I think the guy will never completely stop until he's "Up Next" but as far as recording and supporting new albums with tours....I'm not holding my breath.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 26,911 Times in 13,578 Posts

The good news, is that Sam changes his mind about as often as he changes underwear, so he might un "semi-retire" tomorrow, hook up with CF and have a new album out in six months time.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post: