Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Default Chad's comments on Chickenfoot

Rolling Stone posted a story with Chad answering a number of questions from Twitter followers.

Here is Chad's comments on Chickenfoot:

What are your thoughts on the future of Chickenfoot?
    — @Yamadrums

I would love to do some more Chickenfoot, but it takes four people to be in the same place at the same time. Sam [Hagar] does other things and, of course, I'm busy with my band. Joe [Satriani] has his solo career. Mike [Anthony], I think, is pretty open; he's kind of hanging. But it was a really fun thing to do. I haven't been very available. They had to get a different drummer, Kenny Aronoff, to tour the last record. I wouldn't be able to do any extensive touring with them, but I would love to make another record. I love the creative process, and I hope that we can do that in the future. But right now there's no plans for any new Chickenfoot stuff.

Which album was the most fun to make?
    — @AdreeshR

Blood Sugar Sex Magik was a really fun one to make. (Edit)

The first Chickenfoot record was fun. We were working with Andy Johns, who recorded a lot of Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones records; all kinds of people. He had great stories. It was just exciting because we were doing a new thing, but it had a lot of energy and [we] put a lot of creative input into songs we were making.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...#ixzz3LgZfr3AI
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

That cover of Heart of Gold was sweet.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Pretty straight up answer from Chad.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Per Sam and Chad's most recent comments, I think the Foot is in at a minimum, retired.

Hopefully they bring it back to life, but at a point, the momentum from the project will pass. No one will care about Chickenfoot outside of us diehards if they decide to get together and do something in 2017.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

I wrote off the future of the band for the most part after Sam’s last interview and this just adds to that notion.

It was fun while it lasted.

"...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Not necessarily.
    I think that it all depends on Sam. You got Mike and Joe ready to go, Joe actually jonesing to go. Chad says he wants to do it, but not extensive touring, which sam anyways wont do. Chad listed CFI in the same sentence as Blood Sugar Sex Magic, I think it says a lot.

So for the next record, the ball is in Sam's court. I think that down the line, he's going to look at his $97,000,000 fortune and think "mmmk, I think I can live with only having $96,500,000 if it means doing another CF record and the joy and satisfaction it brings."
    Little Dreamer

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.13.14 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is very disappointing. I wish they would just issue a statement stating it's over. I never thought I could like a band more than Van Hagar, but CF did it for me. Sammy was so high on this band in 2009 when the first album came out. I think that the 2nd album kinda bombed and Chad wasn't able to tour sort of soured it for Sammy. I wish they would replace Chad with Jason Bonham and keep it going. It's a real bummer!

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

Sad to hear, but I guess this is what we all expected and puzzled together anyway by now.

CF was pretty much the best stuff that Sam was involved in in the new millenium.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

If you read between the lines, and also look at Chad's schedule, that he's flexible to join other projects as long as they don't take too much time, the hold up is really Sammy. Chad can do the basic tracks in the studio in a week. Then he's done, he's not going to overdub stuff or sing back up vocals.
    So Sammy is holding up the next CF record, even though he doesn't want people to know about it. To have a great sounding record, you need a world class producer, and that will cost upwards of 100K. Sam doesn't wanna foot the bill. Maybe Joe needs to step up and pay half? I mean even Mike could chip in.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Not trying to be intentionally contrarian, but I disagree Little Dreamer.

I think the album is not a problem for Chad, but touring is, and they want Chad to be there for all of it, not just the album, and with his RHCP commitments, both recording and touring, that is a lot to expect from him.

And I just don't agree to needing a top flight producer to make their album sound great, not with today's technologies.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yes, but you're talking about cats used to record with great producers. Templeman, Bruce Fairbairn, Andy Johns. Working with these guys is just "another day at the office" for them. That's the way they roll.

Also I read interviews with Sam saying he's "semi-retired" and doesn't want to tour much. So that seems to gel with Chad's plans. I'm seeing a lot of enthusiasm from everyone except Sam. It has to do with money, but in a bit of a weird way, since it's more about principle than the actual amount. The amount is not much for Sam. They want to do a big production like the first record and Sam doesn't want to be the only one investing, that's my guess. He wants the other millionaires in the band to chip in as well.
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 12.15.14 at 11:52 AM.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

If four multi-millionaires, in which one of the members OWNS his own studio, can't get together and make an album because of the costs involved, then how do all these start up bands with $2 of change in a Ragu jar somehow figure it out?

The cost factor is just a convenient excuse that sounds good to most fans. I am just not buying it, not from them.

Some bands like Kix, or White Lion, whose didn't make much money when they were hot and their best days are way behind them, yeah, I can see the cost being prohibitive. But Chickenfoot? Shit no.

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Being a Chickenfoot fan is almost as difficult as remaining a Van Halen fan.....

As for the money aspect, Billy Joel just did 12 shows, sold 223,900 tickets and grossed $24 million in NYC alone. The money and the fans are there.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If four multi-millionaires, in which one of the members OWNS his own studio, can't get together and make an album because of the costs involved, then how do all these start up bands with $2 of change in a Ragu jar somehow figure it out?

The cost factor is just a convenient excuse that sounds good to most fans. I am just not buying it, not from them.

Some bands like Kix, or White Lion, whose didn't make much money when they were hot and their best days are way behind them, yeah, I can see the cost being prohibitive. But Chickenfoot? Shit no.

THIS. Its an excuse. Period.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

I don't know, I guess isn't it only worth it if they don't risk embarrassing themselves or something? I wonder if there's an element of that.

I forget which artist I read on this subject, saying it's risky because if your album does poorly, it's bad in the eyes of promoters and could compromise your image these days. You know, if the album dies on the market immediately (i.e. no steady airplay/single) it's bad for your career ... .. just thinkin'. I don't know about that theory, but it's not just Van Halen & Chickenfoot that ain't making new records lately.

I'd think they can make an album just as easily as any of the thousands of artists recording albums every single year. It does seem that we're seemingly not getting the whole real reason, doesn't it?

I also think there's a certain point where an artist doesn't make Great Shit anymore, plain and simple. It's *relatively* great maybe, but not really universally great as it once was. Artists have their heydays. So maybe they know that, or the public does, or the promoters do, or SOMEONE does, and it's just a natural response for the artist to release less, on the grounds that it's so difficult to compete with the golden age.
    Kevin