Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default DIY video: Installing a locking nut on a standard neck

If anything, this video shows how easy and/or impossible some things are -- completely depends on your perspective.

I do want to mention that in this video -- when I first installed the locking nut, it was clearly off-center. I re-centered it which you can see at the very end of the video.

KBD3

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

09.22.15 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for posting that Kevin. Cool to see that done from scratch like that.
    2013 EVH Black n White Striped Series Guitar
    2013 EVH 5150iii Black 50 Watt Amp
    2012 Ace Frehley Epiphone Budokan
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

That's awesome!

I have a few questions for you that others probably have as well:

- Can you still adjust that truss rod?

- How do you determine the height that the strings should be? Just by an eye test or is there something more scientific?

- What model locking nut did you use?

- I'm assuming you are using a locking bridge on the other end as well. Are you just doing the surface mount for that? If so, do you find the action to be really high on a neck that wasn't intended for a locking nut?

You've inspired me to possibly give this a try on a my VH I model Squier that I made this year. I'm sick of the thing going out of tune every time I do a dive. However, if I remember correctly, didn't you have to take a hacksaw to the truss rod when you used a Squier neck? That might be a little more than I'm willing to do...
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Can you still adjust that truss rod?

Yes. If I were to do so though, I would completely remove the locking nut.

How do you determine the height that the strings should be? Just by an eye test or is there something more scientific?

Eyes in comparison to another guitar set up perfectly. If the nut is too high upon completion, you can always sand it down a bit more. If it ended up too low -- 1/32" balsa wood shivs will raise it 1/32" at a time. There is absolutely a scientific method behind locking nut installation -- however, with the myriad types of necks (different radius, different profile, different fret size, fret condition, on and on) There is absolutely no one-size-fits-all measurement. However, my bet is that they are all within 1/16" or so.

What model locking nut did you use?

The one in this video is a chrome Floyd Rose.

I'm assuming you are using a locking bridge on the other end as well. Are you just doing the surface mount for that? If so, do you find the action to be really high on a neck that wasn't intended for a locking nut?

Full Floyd Rose system -- the nut comes with the bridge all in one box. Bridge installation is a completely different ball of wax! However, to get to your question about action too high and necks not intended for a locking nut -- YES. But what I mean specifically is that the actual depth of the initial nut trench is too shallow for a locking nut, and has to be shaved down. If all you do is take off the nut trench wall nearest the tuners, it will definitely be too shallow and the action will be too high.

You've inspired me to possibly give this a try on a my VH I model Squier that I made this year. I'm sick of the thing going out of tune every time I do a dive. However, if I remember correctly, didn't you have to take a hacksaw to the truss rod when you used a Squier neck?

I did hacksaw a Squier neck because the truss rod was just way, way too high for a locking nut. To me though, the neck was useless unless I did that. The funny thing though is that particular guitar -- my Bee -- is essentially the smoothest playing guitar of all that I have made. If that neck ever bends or bows though, I would just have to replace it as there is no going back on the truss rod. I would do it again, to be honest.

The price of a neck with a standard nut versus pre-built locking nut shelf is substantial. In fact, only one neck I have bought so far came prepared for a locking nut, and all I could think was "this is too easy...!" But I paid substantially more in raw dollars for that neck. Otherwise, the price difference plus DIY methodology equals huge savings in the long run. I hate to sound cheesy, but attitude is a big part of it! I basically take the "this thing is not going to defeat me" mindset into a build. My bet is that most Squier necks are not set up to accommodate locking nuts, but I would not let that stop me.

KBD3

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    If anything, this video shows how easy and/or impossible some things are -- completely depends on your perspective.

I do want to mention that in this video -- when I first installed the locking nut, it was clearly off-center. I re-centered it which you can see at the very end of the video.

KBD3
    Can that be done with a rosewood fretboard?
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Can that be done with a rosewood fretboard?
    Absolutely!

KBD3

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    [B]

I did hacksaw a Squier neck because the truss rod was just way, way too high for a locking nut. To me though, the neck was useless unless I did that. The funny thing though is that particular guitar -- my Bee -- is essentially the smoothest playing guitar of all that I have made. If that neck ever bends or bows though, I would just have to replace it as there is no going back on the truss rod. I would do it again, to be honest.

KBD3
    In the past I had a squire I installed a lock nut on- I ran into the same problem you had with the truss rod- believe it or not- I went the other route and filed a groove into the lock nut to fit the truss- then I ground down the center lock nut (allen bolt) so it didn't lock on the truss-it worked well but I had to be super carefull when tightening th middle lock- worried it would strip-
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post: