Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default What are you guys using for EVH amp settings?

My apologies if this has been discussed. My new thing is to try to use less and less gain to force me to play better and use my hands for sustain.

At my gig last Fri., I found myself using the clean channel on my Soldano a lot with a Joyo knock-off Tube Screamer more than the OD channel.

Now I'm back on the EVH 50w head and am trying to dial back the gain on blue and make the red channel nothing but a louder version of how my blue sounds.

What are you guys doing?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Self improvement---I gotta get me some !
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I have a 5150 Head and matching cab. Two actually. And a EVH 5150 III 2x12 combo. Bought the first head and cab around 1995. My goal has always been to use as little gain as possible with the Peavey. Guys familiar with the amp would say they were surprised how little gain I had and it sounded good. Volume helps. Playing a 5150 loud makes them a little less fizzy and my experience has been I can lower the gain a bit and get good sustain the louder I play.

These days I like two things out of these amps. For lack of a better example I like the Live Without A Net type of sustain Ed got. Harmonics last forever and with a little effort feedback is right there. This sound has a bit too much gain. I usually use the red channel on the combo and I think the gain is around 9:00. Maybe 10:00. Above that the amp makes too much noise. Sometimes I like to try to get closer to a 1984 tone. Good grind. Not a lot of sustain. Blue channel with the gain around 10:00. Maybe 11:00 tops. And I usually have the power level down to 1 watt. Which I think helps take away some fizz.

In a band situation depends on the song. Blue channel is as above. Unless I'm playing VH or something requiring more gain. Than I crank up the gain. Leads I also try to get the red channel to be a louder version of the blue. I seem to use too much gain on red and need more time to play around and get it dialed in. There's a difference between playing loud and playing alone in my basement. But the red channel seems tough to lower the gain too much. Loses its oomph.

I'm sure we all have a tone in our heads we'd like. Mine is not fizzy or buzzy. I'll use motorcycles. I don't like my guutar to sound like an import street bike. High end harsh and fizzy. I want to sound like a Harley. Open type of growl with balls. I like the new 5150 III. But it's not the perfect sound for me.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I cant comment cause I don't have an EVH amp but when I played it seemed like adding volume made my mistakes MORE noticeable... Guess I'm in the minority there...

anyways best of luck with impr8ving your technique it takes balls to step back want to improve your technique and not hide behind effects and gain
    Earn this...

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Of course, making it louder will amplify your mistakes. That's true with any amp. Playing loud is the best way to get better, especially with VH tunes. You have to master string muting and guitar volume knob control, which don't matter much at lower, bedroom volumes.

I've been reading up a lot on Marshall Plexi-like amps and am wondering if really raising the volume on an EVH compensates for lower gain with better tone and depth. I have taken the volume to about noon on blue and red at band practice and was wearing earplugs. It sounded awesome then, but on the recordings on my iPhone the guitar sounded a little thin and even sterile. Has anyone used an attenuator with an EVH and then dimed the amp's volumes?

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Of course, making it louder will amplify your mistakes. That's true with any amp. Playing loud is the best way to get better, especially with VH tunes. You have to master string muting and guitar volume knob control, which don't matter much at lower, bedroom volumes.

I've been reading up a lot on Marshall Plexi-like amps and am wondering if really raising the volume on an EVH compensates for lower gain with better tone and depth. I have taken the volume to about noon on blue and red at band practice and was wearing earplugs. It sounded awesome then, but on the recordings on my iPhone the guitar sounded a little thin and even sterile. Has anyone used an attenuator with an EVH and then dimed the amp's volumes?
    In theory an attenuator won't help a 5150 style amp. The gain is from the preamp and the power section is essentially clean is the thinking. Now having said that I diasgree. Well, perhaps the power section doesn't alter the tone or add gain. It adds something because when I turn mine up they change and sound better, less buzzy. I was waiting for Friedman to release his STFU attenuator for me PV 5150. He took too long. I've got a 5150 III combo with "power scaling". I like the amp better with it on 1 watt. Attenuators apparently effect tone. Kills high end I think. I'd like to hear a 5150 with one then without one.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

09.22.15 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My apologies if this has been discussed. My new thing is to try to use less and less gain to force me to play better and use my hands for sustain.

At my gig last Fri., I found myself using the clean channel on my Soldano a lot with a Joyo knock-off Tube Screamer more than the OD channel.

Now I'm back on the EVH 50w head and am trying to dial back the gain on blue and make the red channel nothing but a louder version of how my blue sounds.

What are you guys doing?
    I have a 5150iii 50 watt, which is the perfect amp for me. I couldn't be any happier with it.

I only use one channel. I guess the only thing that would make this amp more
    perfect for me would be if it was a single channel
    and that channel being the blue channel.

On a single coil strat neck pup, I'll do the gain at around 9 o'clock. Very Hendrix ishy.

With the gain more around noon, that's where it's anything from classic van halen, to kiss, to
    the first GnR AFD, using different humbuckers.

Then for something higher gain, like Motley, I'll put it to about 3 o'clock. For me, this one channel does everything I want. I love this amp.

I don't have the EVH 4x12 (yet), but currently use a Marshall 1960A, with the standard 75 wt
    celestion speakers. The amp was the best purchase I've made. That and my EVH black
    n white striped guitar. Absolutely amazing.
    2013 EVH Black n White Striped Series Guitar
    2013 EVH 5150iii Black 50 Watt Amp
    2012 Ace Frehley Epiphone Budokan
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    In theory an attenuator won't help a 5150 style amp. The gain is from the preamp and the power section is essentially clean is the thinking. Now having said that I diasgree. Well, perhaps the power section doesn't alter the tone or add gain. It adds something because when I turn mine up they change and sound better, less buzzy. I was waiting for Friedman to release his STFU attenuator for me PV 5150. He took too long. I've got a 5150 III combo with "power scaling". I like the amp better with it on 1 watt. Attenuators apparently effect tone. Kills high end I think. I'd like to hear a 5150 with one then without one.

agree with you. in theory an attenuator should not be necessary for the 5150's, but like you said, turning the amps up makes a big difference. it gets the transformers to kick in and definitely helps the tone. especially the peavey. one of the main reasons everyone always thought EVH's peavey 5150's were different was because he was running the post volumes at about 5 which is way too loud for most of us to do. it gets the power section actually involved in the tone and gets rid of a lot of the fizz. that and turning the bias to a proper setting. a very good attenuator to look at is the rivera rock crusher.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    a very good attenuator to look at is the rivera rock crusher.
    Yeah, but they ain't cheap. I have another EBMM EVH being delivered today, so my G.A.S. needs to be tamed for a while. And I need to sell the other 5150 50w I don't use.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I'm pretty sure it was because it was your phone mic.
    I sold my Peavey 5150 to my buddy, and he has recording noodling riffs on his I Phone, and it's the same deal. Fairly thin, and really dry.
    I'd say no to attenuators on these amps.
    Like a post above said, they gain structure is totally different on a modern day master volume amp.
    They work great on a non master with little risk of trashing components, but these days, the amps pack so much whollop , (wattage RMS), that attenuating them is like corking it.
    The resistance and accompanied heat generated will pop something sooner or later.
    That's why a lot of stores have distanced themselves from them. It's not that if used correctly, they aren't good, but used incorrectly, there's been a lot of headache claims.
    I'm with you on rolling back the pre gain, and focusing on technique. I've done that since going back to the Super Lead.
    I didn't realize how lazy I got with gain.