Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough Hot f. Teacher AFU
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Default AADGBE tuning

Hey,
    been playing Good Enough recently and got a question. I am using 9-46 set. I heard it should be at least 56 for low E... Can I do any harm to my guitar? I am usually using standard tuning, use AADGBE only for Good Enough...

Another question that comes to mind - should I tune it back to standard every tme after playing or can i leave it like that for a prolonged time? And can I change just the low E (low E 56, the rest from 9-46 set)???

I know about potential buzz issue but Good Enough's use of low E is pretty much muted open string and there is no bending at all.

Thanks
    Last edited by marcin; 12.09.14 at 04:20 AM. Reason: clarification
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seroiusly. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen (to young guitarists), 1985

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Eddie Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master

http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

I would say use the fattest low E string that you can find that will fit in your Floyd saddle. You might want to adjust your truss rod and you may need to adjust your bridge to compensate for the lowered tension, but it won't do any harm to leave it like that.

The best thing to do is to have one guitar completely dedicated to playing "Good Enough" as Ed did because ultimately once the guitar is set up for that tuning it won't go back to being optimally set up for standard tuning unless you put a normal low E string back on and then adjust the truss rod and bridge accordingly. This is why Ed used the '1984' Kramer specifically for that song.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I would say use the fattest low E string that you can find that will fit in your Floyd saddle.
    Yeah, thanks for Your answear, but what's gonna happen If I stick to 46 low E (from9-46 set)? Haven't change it to thicker string until now... I am thinking of any possible problems excluding expected string buzz.

The best thing to do is to have one guitar completely dedicated to playing "Good Enough"...
    Sure, but I need big fat money for that

Thanks again

"Don't give up, seroiusly. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen (to young guitarists), 1985

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Eddie Van Halen, 2005

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    Yeah, thanks for Your answear, but what's gonna happen If I stick to 46 low E (from9-46 set)? Haven't change it to thicker string until now... I am thinking of any possible problems excluding expected string buzz.

Sure, but I need big fat money for that

Thanks again
    Gotcha...I would say you'll just have to deal with any problems if you are confined to using only one guitar. Sorry, but having a guitar dedicated to that one tuning is the only really sure answer to your question

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

To sum up, there are three solutions:
    1 Start saving for second guitar
    2 Keep messin' with truss rod and strings each time changing tuning
    3 Be a bad ass and play a cover version omitting the low E string

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I would say use the fattest low E string that you can find that will fit in your Floyd saddle. You might want to adjust your truss rod and you may need to adjust your bridge to compensate for the lowered tension, but it won't do any harm to leave it like that.

The best thing to do is to have one guitar completely dedicated to playing "Good Enough" as Ed did because ultimately once the guitar is set up for that tuning it won't go back to being optimally set up for standard tuning unless you put a normal low E string back on and then adjust the truss rod and bridge accordingly. This is why Ed used the '1984' Kramer specifically for that song.
    That's right, and great mention on the truss rod.
    I used an actual bass G string on my Strat when I was playing around with the song.
    I can't remember specifically what gauge it was.....but I had to totally readjust the guitar. Added two springs to the trem, and probably ended up with 3/4 of a turn on the truss rod just to compensate, and still have playable action. The main problem was that the neck had a bit of a twist due to the unbalance tension. Mind you my Strat has a flatsawn maple neck, so it's a little more susceptable to tension changes. If your neck is quartersawn, you probably won't experience as many issues, though you'll still have to adjust somewhat with certainty.
    The other thing is that with the string going through the nut....Depending on the type of nut slot it passes through (either a locking, or conventional nut), depending on the gauge, it will more or less run over the nut.
    My Strat has a bone nut which I cut years ago for a .042, and the string went pretty much over the slot, and just sat in it like a detent...I't was a short lived experiment though...I was sure I would either crack the nut, or the neck would be damaged eventually.
    Like I said...a quartersawn neck is tougher. and also a Floyd nut is pretty indestructable.
    Regardless, have fun.It's a great song to play when set up the way Ed did it. but watch how your guitar reacts closely.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That's right, and great mention on the truss rod.
    I used an actual bass G string on my Strat when I was playing around with the song.
    I can't remember specifically what gauge it was.....but I had to totally readjust the guitar. Added two springs to the trem, and probably ended up with 3/4 of a turn on the truss rod just to compensate, and still have playable action. The main problem was that the neck had a bit of a twist due to the unbalance tension. Mind you my Strat has a flatsawn maple neck, so it's a little more susceptable to tension changes. If your neck is quartersawn, you probably won't experience as many issues, though you'll still have to adjust somewhat with certainty.
    The other thing is that with the string going through the nut....Depending on the type of nut slot it passes through (either a locking, or conventional nut), depending on the gauge, it will more or less run over the nut.
    My Strat has a bone nut which I cut years ago for a .042, and the string went pretty much over the slot, and just sat in it like a detent...I't was a short lived experiment though...I was sure I would either crack the nut, or the neck would be damaged eventually.
    Like I said...a quartersawn neck is tougher. and also a Floyd nut is pretty indestructable.
    Regardless, have fun.It's a great song to play when set up the way Ed did it. but watch how your guitar reacts closely.
    Ooops! I forgot to address the gauge from my experience.
    .046 really doesn't do squat to add much thick bass tone. I use D'darrio 9 through 46 on all my guitars now, moving away from 9 -42. I never really noticed a big tonal difference in which it sounded fatter...I just like the feel better, and they seem to be better and more consistent with intonation.
    As a side note..
    It may have just been the brand, but my previous manufacturer was great for years, but in the past several, I noticed major intonation issues, core rattle, and even strings spontaneously unwrapping from the ball end on my Gibsons and Fenders.

Getting off track, but I love D'darrio strings now. I'd say in the 50's gauge range you will notice more of that fat thick tone you're looking for. .052 would be a good place to start.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Sweet Jesus. The more I read the more I lean towards option no. 1 and no.3.
    Let me clarify: I do not have Floyd cause I hate all the troubles with stringing etc. Therefore, I skip all whammy parts. But wouldn't skipping whammy plus the low E be too much? One guy did a video playing Good Enough in standard tuning skipping low E (?) and it was not so bad. Or was it? : ...

Whaddaya think about playing without the low E??? - I know it will cut this low end in the overall riff and bridge sound. Bummer.

When it comes to second axe -

1 buying another fixed bridge axe just to detune it for the riff and bridge would be ridiculous. Bummer.

2 with Floyd I would have pain in the ass with stringing and tuning. I heard that vintage tremolo system is kinda more friendly when restringing but it ain't no good for such crazy whammy stuff VH does. Bummer

Whadddaya think?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Sweet Jesus. The more I read the more I lean towards option no. 1 and no.3.
    Let me clarify: I do not have Floyd cause I hate all the troubles with stringing etc. Therefore, I skip all whammy parts. But wouldn't skipping whammy plus the low E be too much? One guy did a video playing Good Enough in standard tuning skipping low E (?) and it was not so bad. Or was it? : ...

Whaddaya think about playing without the low E??? - I know it will cut this low end in the overall riff and bridge sound. Bummer.

When it comes to second axe -

1 buying another fixed bridge axe just to detune it for the riff and bridge would be ridiculous. Bummer.

2 with Floyd I would have pain in the ass with stringing and tuning. I heard that vintage tremolo system is kinda more friendly when restringing but it ain't no good for such crazy whammy stuff VH does. Bummer

Whadddaya think?
    Haha! Wow!
    Well...I actually think you're better off without a Floyd should you choose to go with a heavier string. It's much easier. What I had to do once, and why I chose the Strat in favor, was that I had to unwrap a lot of material at the ball end of the string to get it to fit in the saddle clamp. Bass strings are wrapped real thick at the ball. Too heavy a string will also not fit through a stock Strat vintage style bridge. That's why I used a G. I think Eddie said he used a bass A string.....Not sure though, but too fat for a Strat bridge.
    For the nut issue...The bone nut on my guitar didn't break. Not sure what kind of nut is on your guitar, weather it be plastic, graphite composite...whatever, but bone is so much more brittle. If yours is one of the latter two, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Playing without the E kinda misses the point. I mean, of course you can play it, but it misses the whole cool novelty of the song. Really up to you, but I say go balls out!

A second axe just for the song....Meh......I get some guitars can be expensive, but there are some seriously cheap but very well made axes out there these days new, and even more screaming deals on CL, or whatever classified service you choose.

150, to 200 bucks can get you something of quality nowadays that you couldn't dream of getting until you spent at least 500 bucks and up not even a decade ago.

The whammy parts in the song....Yeah, I know. I just compensated by using different bend and pinch harmonic techniques.
    I rarely use whammy these days anyway now.
    There are ways around it.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

First off all, thank You for such informative answer!

When it comes to my guitar - it is a cheapo (but not that cheap) Gibson-made Indonesian Kramer 211 striker with black nickel hardware. I was thinking 'bout buying Jackson JS32TQ Dinky (fixed bridge) or BC Rich Gunslinger (tremolo).

So... I will practice with no E until getting Jackson maybe. I would buy another Kramer (wonder if there ever will be a reissue of 5150 Kramer) but they do not produce guitars without whammy bar anymore, haha.

I am kinda strange EVH maniac - not really into whammy bar and not really into Michael Anthony background vocals. Always looking for somethin cool in VH songs - like that crazy gliss taps sliding up the fretboard just before tremelo picking end in Hot for Teacher... Tapping, tapped hamonics and palm harmonics (the so called auto flanging or harmonic slide) always made it for me - and Good Enough has it all. Plus the outro is my favorite tapping lick by Edward - I love this ending tap at the 11th fret when bending the 3rd fret. Hell, EVH plays this lick in his solo spot up to these days and that means something!

By the way, great nickname - I would love to hear Van Halen in their sixties playing "We die Young". This would be awesome.
    Last edited by marcin; 12.10.14 at 02:18 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

First off all, thank You for such informative answer!

When it comes to my guitar - it is a cheapo (but not that cheap) Gibson-made Indonesian Kramer 211 striker with black nickel hardware. I was thinking 'bout buying Jackson JS32TQ Dinky (fixed bridge) or BC Rich Gunslinger (tremolo).

So... I will practice with no E until getting Jackson maybe. I would buy another Kramer (wonder if there ever will be a reissue of 5150 Kramer) but they do not produce guitars without whammy bar anymore, haha.

I am kinda strange EVH maniac - not really into whammy bar and not really into Michael Anthony background vocals. Always looking for somethin cool in VH songs - like that crazy gliss taps sliding up the fretboard just before tremelo picking end in Hot for Teacher... Tapping, tapped hamonics and palm harmonics (the so called auto flanging or harmonic slide) always made it for me - and Good Enough has it all. Plus the outro is my favorite tapping lick by Edward - I love this ending tap at the 11th fret when bending the 3rd fret. Hell, EVH plays this lick in his solo spot up to these days and that means something!

By the way, great nickname - I would love to hear Van Halen in their sixties playing "We die Young". This would be awesome.
    Wow! I just noticed you are in Poland! That's cool. What time is it there?
    Haha! No problem at all.
    Yeah, I know. At one point allmost all the guitars I played had Floyd's or Kahler's on them. I still like whammy, and use it for divebombs and stuff, but I really kinda went the other way and experimenting with weird unison bends, and slides to approximate what I used to do with the bar. I still have some friends that hear new stuff I'm working on and they think I am using a bar, but it'll be done on a hardtail. At first I don't think I was that good when I started changing my style, but now I guess it's more seamless. Just comes with practice. I also don't use picks any more.
    Sleeper5150 who was also on the Links years ago was a lifelong friend and incredible player, and I never remembered him using a pick. He used to play those fan trills like in Eruption by skimming the tip of his finger, and it was just as fast. he used his index finger to pick, but he supported it with his thumb at an odd angle, but it's amazing how much differential in tone he could create just with his hands.
    He convinced me years ago to drop using picks because he believed that it gave you a better connection and touch to what you are playing.
    It took a long time to get used to, but now if I try to use a pic, I just get frustrated and toss it.
    It's weird, but he was right....at least for me.
    That's what I love about guitar.....It's such an amazing instrument. You can do such radical things, and create a whole new ranges of sound and technique.
    Last edited by we die young; 12.10.14 at 03:24 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Wow! I just noticed you are in Poland! That's cool. What time is it there?
    Bloody hell! Plus nine hours compared to Vancouver 8:12 am here.
    Yeah, great info mate, thank You so much.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thread ressurected! Can you guys tell me what is the thinnest string gauge for dropped A? I bought a 56 string for low E but my nut is too narrow, that is the string is simply too big. Now nut files are expensive and require precision, I would have to take my axe to a luthier. Would 52 gauge or any other be good enough for Good Enough?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

Take the guitar to where you purchase strings, and physically test the width of the nut, compared to the gauge of the string.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Ed used a bass guitar string. A perhaps? I used a regular old E .042 here. I'm lazy.

https://soundcloud.com/cp5150/not-good-enough

I can do better. No practice and one take. It is what it is which was mostly a chorus test.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: