Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

Default UVA rape scandal reported by Rolling Stone magazine, may be a fake

Rolling Stone apologized. Lots of damage in the wake of this. From reporting of rape on college campus down to the reputation of RS reporters. Reminds me of the lacrosse team debacle. Sure many of the discrepancies in her story can be chalked up to trauma, drinking or other issues, but some of them are significant enough to make you wonder how this could not have been brought to light very easily by the reporter. The Washington post was able to fact it so easily that it was apparent that this was more than sloppy reporting by RS, it was a reporter with an agenda who WANTED the story to be true.

(CNN) -- Rolling Stone magazine apologized Friday for discrepancies in an article about the alleged gang rape of a University of Virginia student, after friends of the victim expressed doubts about the woman's account and the accused fraternity chapter denied key details.
    Rolling Stone editors had chosen not to contact the man who allegedly "orchestrated the attack on 'Jackie' (the woman who was the subject of the article) nor any of the men she claimed participated in the attack for fear of retaliation against her," a decision the magazine says it now regrets.
    "In the face of new information, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie's account, and we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced," Rolling Stone said.
    Rolling Stone Managing Editor Will Dana later tweeted that "the truth would have been better served by getting the other side of the story."
    The article chronicled the school's failure to respond to that alleged assault. It prompted an emergency meeting by the school's governing board and the announcement of a zero-tolerance approach toward sexual assault cases.
    According to the magazine, Jackie, who at the time had just started her freshman year at the Charlottesville school, claimed she was raped by seven men at Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, while two more gave encouragement, during a party.
    However, the University of Virginia's Phi Kappa Psi chapter did not have a party the night of September 28, 2012, the date when the alleged attack occurred, or at all that weekend, the chapter said in a statement Friday. The chapter's lawyer, Ben Warthen, told CNN email and fraternity records are proof.
    Warthen said there were other discrepancies in the accuser's account. For example, the accused orchestrator of the alleged rape did not belong to the fraternity, the fraternity house has no side staircase, and there were no pledges at that time of year.
    Jackie told the magazine she hurried out a side staircase after the incident and said her attackers egged each other on, asking, "Don't you want to be a brother?"
    "It's not part of our culture," Warthen said. "It's just not true."
    Jackie also described her alleged attacker as a fellow lifeguard at the university pool. The fraternity's UVA chapter said an internal investigation found no member who worked at the Aquatic and Fitness Center at the time of the alleged attack.
    "We have no knowledge of these alleged acts being committed at our house or by our members," the chapter statement said. "Anyone who commits any form of sexual assault, wherever or whenever, should be identified and brought to justice."
    Members of the fraternity were contacted by the author of the Rolling Stone article but provided no information "because they had none to provide," fraternity spokeswoman Pam Fitzgerald said in a statement.
    She said the members were shocked and surprised by the allegations, and that they were never contacted by fact-checkers at the magazine.
    The chapter said it is working with the Charlottesville Police Department as it investigates the allegations.
    The Washington Post reported Friday that a group of Jackie's close friends "believe something traumatic happened to her, but they also have come to doubt her account" because details have changed over time.
    Jackie stands by her story, the Post also reported.
    "I never asked for this" attention, Jackie told the newspaper. "What bothers me is that so many people act like it didn't happen. It's my life. I have had to live with the fact that it happened every day for the last two years."
    Rolling Stone's scathing report, detailing not just Jackie's graphic allegation of being raped and brutalized at a fraternity party, but also UVA's supposed indifference to victims of sexual assault, stirred a firestorm on the campus.
    At a recent emergency meeting of UVA's governing board, Rector George Keith Martin said, "To Jackie and her parents, I say I am sorry. To the survivors of sexual assault and their families, I am also sorry."
    The board unanimously adopted a resolution affirming a zero-tolerance approach toward rape and sexual assault cases, though what exactly that means remains to be seen.
    "This type of conduct will not be tolerated at the University of Virginia," Martin said. "The status quo is no longer acceptable."
    In the wake of the Rolling Stone article's publication, UVA also suspended all fraternities' activities until after the winter break.
    The university's president said in a statement Friday that doubts about the story "must not alter" its focus on the issue of sexual violence on college campuses.
    Teresa Sullivan said the school "will continue to take a hard look at our practices, policies and procedures, and continue to dedicate ourselves to becoming a model institution in our educational programming, in the character of our student culture, and in our care for those who are victims."
    Dana, the magazine's managing editor, wrote on Twitter that he can't explain the discrepancies between Jackie's account and the chapter's statements.
    "The fact that there is a story that appears in Rolling Stone in which I don't have complete confidence is deeply unsettling to me," he wrote.
    "We made a judgment -- the kind of judgement (sic) reporters and editors make every day. And in this case, our judgement was wrong.
    "We should have either not made this agreement with Jackie ... or worked harder to convince her that the truth would have been better served by getting the other side of the story. That failure is on us -- not her."
    Washington Post media critic Erik Wemple, who wrote a blog post earlier this week examining problems with Rolling Stone's reporting, criticized reporter Sabrina Rubin Erdely's failure to seek comment from the accused.
    "They're threading this whole thing through one voice," Wemple told CNN on Friday. "This is what we call journalistic malpractice. ... It's really outrageous that Rolling Stone would have done this."
    Catherine Valentine, a student reporter at WUVA, said the article emboldened women to come forward with stories of sexual assault, and that may stop following the magazine's apology.
    "I'm worried that girls are not going to report now out of fear of being called liars," Valentine told CNN.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Regardless of whether she's telling the truth, some semblance of it, or not at all, this American tradition of 'fraternities / 'sororities', and all their associated nonsense, has always struck me as being a bizarre and not-altogether-pleasant licence to act with little to no regard for others. Are they really necessary? Really???
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Regardless of whether she's telling the truth, some semblance of it, or not at all, this American tradition of 'fraternities / 'sororities', and all their associated nonsense, has always struck me as being a bizarre and not-altogether-pleasant licence to act with little to no regard for others. Are they really necessary? Really???
    YES
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

actually fraternities and sororities do have a function. many of them are very service oriented, and the bonds that are formed among the members are frequently life long.

the abuses in the Greek life are not limited to them, the same stuff is happening in dormitories and off campus housing as well.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

I can't speak for sororities, but I can put at least part of my success to being in a fraternity. There are a lot skills learned and contacts made that are beneficial.

It isn't all Friday night booze fests. And lets be honest, those happen on college campuses period, fraternities or not. I was on the rugby team after my baseball days were over, and let me tell you, there isn't a fraternity in the world that out parties rugby players...dear God.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

I think contacts can be made, and bonds formed, without the need for all the ridiculous initiation ceremonies and outrageous behaviour associated with such groups. I'll admit I am speaking as an 'outsider' - for the most part*, we don't have these groups in UK universities, and I certainly don't feel I've suffered as a consequence.

Generally speaking, the consensus over here (and elsewhere) is that American collegiate fraternities / sororities (*and similar organisations at the UK's elite Oxford / Cambridge Universities) are simply enclaves for over-privileged, spoiled little brats whose bad behaviour is legitimised and encouraged by their membership; where a life-long attitude of 'I'm special, and shouldn't be expected to take responsibility for my actions' is inculcated, and that their existence perpetuates a wholly undesirable social pattern of 'it's not what you know, but who you know', reducing the possibility of an authentic meritocracy in business / politics, whilst instead endorsing a nepotistic status quo.

Bad enough in a place like the UK, where the class system still creates untold barriers for those 'less privileged' - even MORE weird for a country where the fundamental ideology is supposed to be based on there being a level playing-field, and where the American Dream is a real possibility for all, should they only work hard enough...

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

we don't have them up here. To call them necessary is obviously a reach. But it's part of the culture.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    we don't have them up here. To call them necessary is obviously a reach. But it's part of the culture.
    Of course we have them up here. Maybe you just didn't get invited
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

All sorts of institutions / attitudes were once part of "the culture" - doesn't mean that they're a 'good' thing...

Oh, I dunno - perhaps I'm just being mean-spirited ...However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested in seeing / reading the results of a fully-representative, nationwide, survey of people's feelings about their continuing existence.

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think contacts can be made, and bonds formed, without the need for all the ridiculous initiation ceremonies and outrageous behaviour associated with such groups. I'll admit I am speaking as an 'outsider' - for the most part*, we don't have these groups in UK universities, and I certainly don't feel I've suffered as a consequence.

Generally speaking, the consensus over here (and elsewhere) is that American collegiate fraternities / sororities (*and similar organisations at the UK's elite Oxford / Cambridge Universities) are simply enclaves for over-privileged, spoiled little brats whose bad behaviour is legitimised and encouraged by their membership; where a life-long attitude of 'I'm special, and shouldn't be expected to take responsibility for my actions' is inculcated, and that their existence perpetuates a wholly undesirable social pattern of 'it's not what you know, but who you know', reducing the possibility of an authentic meritocracy in business / politics, whilst instead endorsing a nepotistic status quo.

Bad enough in a place like the UK, where the class system still creates untold barriers for those 'less privileged' - even MORE weird for a country where the fundamental ideology is supposed to be based on there being a level playing-field, and where the American Dream is a real possibility for all, should they only work hard enough...
    That wasn't my fraternity experience at all, but it is only one fraternity on one campus. We didn't have any hazing, our initiation was very simple, but cool, and none of our behaviors were more outrageous than any other college person.

I rushed fraternities for two main reasons:

1) At that time, we could still have kegs on campus if you were a fraternity. Hard to beat walking down the hallway and pouring yourself a beer straight from the tap.
    2) Ladies. I know, you can meet ladies anywhere, but the Greek system is a target rich environment. It focuses all the hot women in one central location, makes it much easier.

Just as a side note: we had both Dave Matthews Band and Hootie and the Blowfish play at our house before they were nationally famous, was pretty damn fun. Three years of pure, never ending fun to help prepare me for the mundane banality of corporate America!

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

All sorts of institutions / attitudes were once part of "the culture" - doesn't mean that they're a 'good' thing...

Oh, I dunno - perhaps I'm just being mean-spirited ...However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested in seeing / reading the results of a fully-representative, nationwide, survey of people's feelings about their continuing existence.
    Now you lost me. If people want to gather in social clubs, why should anyone else care? Free association seems ok to me, or maybe as usual, you are and I are separated by a common language.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Of course we have them up here. Maybe you just didn't get invited
    I did not.

But it's not the scene it is south of the border (at least not at U of T) during the time i was there.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

So let me get this straight.

She said she was gang raped at a fraternity party held by Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, on September 28th, by a guy she knew who worked at the Aquatic and Fitness Center, that after the rape she left by the side staircase, and that pledges participated in the rape and were egged on by those watching.

As it turns out:

No party was held that night, or even that weekend.
    No member of the fraternity works at the fitness center.
    They don't have a side stair case.
    They don't have pledges that time of the year.

Now, a gang rape is a traumatic event obviously, so she could and should be forgiven for getting some of the facts wrong, but that much in her story being that much off just makes it unbelievable. Which is a shame, as she is doing other women a great disservice by this.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    a reporter with an agenda who WANTED the story to be true.
    That seems to be the rule and not the exception.

Let's hope RS is sued into extinction.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Short news cycle, people will forget about it in a month.