ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:24 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Default December 7, 1941

"I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Never Forget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Ten years ago I visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial while in Hawaii. It's quite the experience. Highly recommended if you ever have the chance to see it.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Always been a meaningful day for my family. My father was a kid living in Pearl Harbor in 1941 and literally witnessed the attack firsthand. On the morning of the attack he and my uncle were playing in the backyard when the Japs came flying over his house and started dropping bombs about 200 yards away where all of the battleships were anchored. They ran into the house and told my grandfather that it was the japs. From there my they were all brought into a bedroom and tried to take shelter the best they could. They eventually made their way to the basement of an Admiral's house where all of the women and children were taken. Throughout the day wounded sailors were taken this basement and my father witnessed many of them die.

Throughout the years he's been over there 5 times now and is there this week. Each time he goes over he receives a lot special treatment and frequently speaks to groups who want to hear the story. This year is extra special. He was invited to sleep last night in the very same house that he lived in during the attack. The awesome thing about that is that the houses on Ford Island (which is the small island that Pearl Harbor surrounds) have never been altered in any way. They're now technically historical buildings and can't be changed. I've been in the house twice, in 2000 and 2006. It's really wild to know my dad was there that infamous morning.

Here we are in 2006 on a private tour around Ford Island. The Arizona behind is us a perspective few people get to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

6. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Artwork my my brother Tom, a retired USAF graphic artist and First Sergeant.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Always been a meaningful day for my family. My father was a kid living in Pearl Harbor in 1941 and literally witnessed the attack firsthand. On the morning of the attack he and my uncle were playing in the backyard when the Japs came flying over his house and started dropping bombs about 200 yards away where all of the battleships were anchored. They ran into the house and told my grandfather that it was the japs. From there my they were all brought into a bedroom and tried to take shelter the best they could. They eventually made their way to the basement of an Admiral's house where all of the women and children were taken. Throughout the day wounded sailors were taken this basement and my father witnessed many of them die.

Throughout the years he's been over there 5 times now and is there this week. Each time he goes over he receives a lot special treatment and frequently speaks to groups who want to hear the story. This year is extra special. He was invited to sleep last night in the very same house that he lived in during the attack. The awesome thing about that is that the houses on Ford Island (which is the small island that Pearl Harbor surrounds) have never been altered in any way. They're now technically historical buildings and can't be changed. I've been in the house twice, in 2000 and 2006. It's really wild to know my dad was there that infamous morning.

Here we are in 2006 on a private tour around Ford Island. The Arizona behind is us a perspective few people get to see.
    Wow. Amazing story, DD!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Wow. Amazing story, DD!
    It really is. Here's a very interesting excerpt from a newspaper interview he did several years ago. First hand account as the attack started:

Tom was at Pearl Harbor, playing with his little brother and waiting for waffles for breakfast, when Japanese torpedo planes attacked the Hawaiian naval base on Dec. 7, 1941.

He was 8, and his family's home was "like the bullseye" of Japan's surprise plan to bomb the base on that Sunday and immobilize the U.S. fleet in the Pacific. Shrapnel landed in the boy's backyard.

"All of a sudden there were lots of planes, explosions, machine gun fire that was strictly out of the ordinary," Davey said Friday in his Shadowbrook condo. A torpedo plane flew right over him, and Davey saw the pilot's scarf and a sudden motion that was made in the direction of the boy and his brother Jim before the plane was gone.

"Then it started getting real noisy."

"Just when we got into the house the Arizona blew up. It was the loudest noise I ever heard. It rattled the windows, knocked some plates off shelves," Davey said.

The boys laid on the floor and their dad covered them with mattresses.

During a brief ceasefire, the kids were brought to cover at the admiral's quarters a couple hundred yards away, secured in an underground World War I gun turret that became known as "the dungeon."

Sailors they passed were bloody, moaning and covered in oil.

"Someone came in after a while," he said, and started handing out oranges, saying, "make sure you don't waste them because you don't know when you're going to eat again."
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

My own father who passed in 99 went to enlist 2 days later

EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    My own father who passed in 99 went to enlist 2 days later

That's awesome. It was a different (and much better) country then. That's what the kids did. And kids my father's age (9) wished they were old enough to join.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

That's awesome. It was a different (and much better) country then. That's what the kids did. And kids my father's age (9) wished they were old enough to join.
    It was a much better country then, wish I was alive back then instead.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yes it was, sure there were bad things too but nothing is ever going to be perfect,not in this world. Many of his friends would never return one his body was never found. My best friend growing up his dad was in too and his uncle was killed at the Bulge. Had another friend same age as me his dad was in then re enlisted for Korea never got a scratch.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:24 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

One more story:

http://news.yahoo.com/survivors-gath...174853642.html

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (AP) — Veterans who survived the Pearl Harbor attack that launched the United States into World War II attended Sunday's 73rd anniversary ceremony with the help of canes, wheelchairs and motorized scooters.

Wearing purple orchid lei, about 100 Pearl Harbor and World War II survivors attended the ceremony overlooking a memorial that sits atop sunken battleship USS Arizona. Many of them arrived well before the sun came up.

This year's anniversary of the Japanese attack is the 10th consecutive one that USS Utah survivor Gilbert Meyer attended. But it's getting harder for Meyer, 91, to travel to Hawaii from San Antonio.

Asked if he planned to attend next year's anniversary, he responded with a chuckle, "That's like asking me if I'll still be alive."

Harold Johnson, 90, is making it a goal to attend the 75th anniversary, even though traveling from Oak Harbor, Washington, isn't always easy. "I've got a little scooter that's a real life saver," the USS Oklahoma survivor said.

Johnson had been aboard the Oklahoma for just six months on Dec. 7, 1941, looking forward to a day off and a "date with a little Hawaiian girl." He was shining his shoes when the first alarm went off, he recalled.

"Three months later I ran into her in town in Honolulu," he said of his date. "She was mad at me because I stood her up."

For many of the roughly 2,000 survivors who remain, there are also more painful memories.

Keynote speaker Gen. Lori Robinson, commander of Pacific Air Forces, told the crowd of several thousand about four of the nine remaining survivors of the USS Arizona. Don Stratton, 92, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Lauren Bruner, 94, of La Mirada, California, were two of six men who escaped the inferno that engulfed the forward half of the ship by negotiating a line, hand over hand, about 45 feet in the air, despite burns to more than 60 percent of their bodies. John Anderson, 97, of Roswell, New Mexico, was ordered off the ship, but he didn't want to leave behind his twin brother, Delbert. Even though he was forced into a small boat that took him to Ford Island, he commandeered an empty boat and returned to the Arizona to rescue three shipmates. But he never found his brother.

"When the Arizona sank, she took with her 1,177 sailors and Marines," Robinson told the crowd, which included Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer and Hawaii Gov. David Ige.

Robinson also highlighted the sacrifices of the Honolulu Fire Department, which was dispatched to respond after receiving the alarm at 8:05 a.m. "Without knowing it, the Honolulu Fire Department was going to war," she said. "Three firefighters would never return, and six others would be seriously injured."

The ceremony also featured a Japanese peace prayer, a Hawaiian blessing and a moment of silence at 7:55 a.m., the minute the bombing began. F-22s from the Hawaii Air National Guard 199th Fighter Squadron and Air Force 19th Fighter Squadron conducted a flyover.

Later in the afternoon, the four USS Arizona survivors planned to visit the memorial for a toast to their fallen shipmates with a glass of sparkling wine given to their survivors association by President Gerald Ford, using glasses that are replicas of the ones on the ship. After the toast, divers would place one of the glasses at the base of the Arizona's gun turret four. It's where ashes of 38 Arizona survivors are interred.

This year's anniversary will likely be the last one Ervin Brody, 91, of Houston attends. "Expenses are getting up there and we're retired," he said. "A lot of us figure this will be the last."
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA