Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    06.12.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    26
    Last Online

    05.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Alex finally gets some respect as a drummer from Yahoo!

    https://www.yahoo.com/music/10-legen...525033676.html

    Are you kidding me with #6, #5 and #4? The rest I'm okay with!

    Thoughts??

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,040
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Likes
    4,487
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Ringo and Watts are ahead of him in the poll and Peart behind all of them. Kids don't let your parents post polls high!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #3
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    06.12.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    26
    Last Online

    05.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Hey EdwardV! I have to agree about Peart! I’m 45 now and started playing the drums when I was in 8th grade….I had to sell my Tama set when I was 21 because I sucked and I was broke while going to SDSU!

    Neil was awesome and saw them in 1983 when Golden Earing opened for them but a few of my favorite drummers are.. Scott Rockenfield, Ray Luzier who told me that Scott told him that he loved his playing and it meant a lot to him when playing for DLR, and Mike Portnoy and I hate Dream Theater! Half the ones on this top 10 sucks!!

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #4
    On Fire bjpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.11.04
    Age
    52
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    383
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    02.09.16 @ 12:07 PM
    Likes
    127
    Liked 298 Times in 143 Posts

    Default

    Now that's a poll that's worth at least twice it's weight in Internet air.
    I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault and I have no faults.
    - DLR

  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #5
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,908
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Likes
    2,491
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

    Default

    Ah, Rush. From his Taurus Pedals to the....

    Neil doesn't play Taurus pedals. I have no idea what this person is trying to say but he's an idiot. It's one thing just to have a different opinion, but he might as well be talking about what gauge strings Neil uses on his snare. It's retarded.

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #6
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,040
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Likes
    4,487
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lehabs View Post
    Hey EdwardV! I have to agree about Peart! Iím 45 now and started playing the drums when I was in 8th gradeÖ.I had to sell my Tama set when I was 21 because I sucked and I was broke while going to SDSU!

    Neil was awesome and saw them in 1983 when Golden Earing opened for them but a few of my favorite drummers are.. Scott Rockenfield, Ray Luzier who told me that Scott told him that he loved his playing and it meant a lot to him when playing for DLR, and Mike Portnoy and I hate Dream Theater! Half the ones on this top 10 sucks!!
    First time I saw Dream Theater I thought the same thing. Then I heard Mike Portnoy in some G3 tours with Billy on Bass wow what a drummer!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  11. #7
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,510
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:24 PM
    Likes
    10,351
    Liked 16,572 Times in 9,399 Posts

    Default

    Bonzo is still my all-time favorite ...

    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  12. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  13. #8
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,111
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Likes
    16,785
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lehabs View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/10-legen...525033676.html

    Are you kidding me with #6, #5 and #4? The rest I'm okay with!

    Thoughts??
    I actually thought it was pretty good. Nice to see someone list Mitch Mitchell who I always thought was outstanding. I'd replace Bill Ward with Ginger Baker but at least he mentioned that he forgot him. I'd put Al higher, but at least he's in there.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  14. #9
    Eruption Gypsy King's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.21.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Severna Park, MD
    Posts
    857
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Likes
    330
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Bonzo is still my all-time favorite ...

    Definitely, one of the greatest hard rock/metal songs of all time...if not the best!!

  15. #10
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,510
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:24 PM
    Likes
    10,351
    Liked 16,572 Times in 9,399 Posts

    Default

    Here's another underrated drummer ...

    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  17. #11
    Eruption Gypsy King's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.21.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Severna Park, MD
    Posts
    857
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Likes
    330
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    How about Phil Collins?

  18. #12
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,291
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Likes
    10,158
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

    Default

    This part was important:

    "They’re not even necessarily the “best” drummers, though I’d argue that greatness is not technically facility but being the right person for the job."

    He's not listing "best", but the ones who were vital to the sound of the bands they were in.

    Peart-Definitely. I can't imagine Rush without him. Played a lot of notes and it didn't annoy me at all.
    Bruford- No opinion. Can't actually think of anything he's done that registered with me.
    Ward-I like him. Saw some early footage of Sabbath and he seemed like the best musician in the band.
    Alex-Love him. VH would sound very different without him.
    Maureen Tucker-No idea who she is.
    Ringo-I definitely appreciate his restraint. A lot of other 60s drummers could have used it.
    Watts-See Ringo.
    Bonham-My favorite. Had power, had chops, had restraint. Knew exactly when to play and when not to play.
    Mitch Mitchell-The #1 reason I can't listen to Jimi Hendrix. Hate everything he does. Sooooo...much snare....everywhere...all the time...augh!
    Keith Moon-Slightly less annoying to me than Mitchell. Only just though. I think Yngwie Malmsteen listened to Mitchell and Moon a lot growing up and patterned his style after them. "More notes is always better, right?"

  19. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  20. #13
    5150
    Join Date
    05.29.14
    Location
    outta space
    Posts
    607
    Last Online

    02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Likes
    305
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Bruford- No opinion. Can't actually think of anything he's done that registered with me.
    only thing I know him for is King Crimson - Red, a fantastic album (imo) with great drumming. worth checking. similar style to Bonham in terms of power, with maybe a bit more jazz influence

  21. #14
    On Fire Pizza Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.07
    Age
    44
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    406
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 07:42 PM
    Likes
    127
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    Bruford and Peart are my favorites on that list.

    For some amazing outside the box drumming that is also recorded really well, listen to Yes's Fragile or Close to the Edge albums, Bruford's really incredible on those two records.

    I like what it says about Alex.

    And I agree about what was said a couple posts above, about Keith Moon (& Mitch Mitchell, although I don't remember noticing w/him) ... it's like what someone said about Randy Rhodes in another thread, that his legend is maybe amplifying peoples' perceptions of his playing. The Who is interesting in that nobody ever quit the Who, they just die off.
    Kevin

  22. #15
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,111
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Likes
    16,785
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    This part was important:

    "They’re not even necessarily the “best” drummers, though I’d argue that greatness is not technically facility but being the right person for the job."

    He's not listing "best", but the ones who were vital to the sound of the bands they were in.

    Peart-Definitely. I can't imagine Rush without him. Played a lot of notes and it didn't annoy me at all.
    Bruford- No opinion. Can't actually think of anything he's done that registered with me.
    Ward-I like him. Saw some early footage of Sabbath and he seemed like the best musician in the band.
    Alex-Love him. VH would sound very different without him.
    Maureen Tucker-No idea who she is.
    Ringo-I definitely appreciate his restraint. A lot of other 60s drummers could have used it.
    Watts-See Ringo.
    Bonham-My favorite. Had power, had chops, had restraint. Knew exactly when to play and when not to play.
    Mitch Mitchell-The #1 reason I can't listen to Jimi Hendrix. Hate everything he does. Sooooo...much snare....everywhere...all the time...augh!
    Keith Moon-Slightly less annoying to me than Mitchell. Only just though. I think Yngwie Malmsteen listened to Mitchell and Moon a lot growing up and patterned his style after them. "More notes is always better, right?"
    Ha Ha! I love it and it just proves what you say all the time about art because we agree about most things discussed here, but I love Mitch Mitchell. I guess I like "busy" drums because I like Keith Moon too.

    I'll give credit where credit is due though - you said you don't like them, not that they suck, and there is a big difference between the two. I don't like Rush but I'm not going to say they suck because they don't - they're just not my cup of tea.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  23. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Alex Van Halen exclusive Modern Drummer interview
    By Little Dreamer in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 02.06.08, 02:31 PM
  2. bix by Yahoo...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10.18.07, 03:21 PM
  3. Alex interviewed in Drummer magazine.....
    By Brand X in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 02.28.05, 05:52 AM
  4. Alex as a drummer
    By Chet Dakota in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05.01.02, 07:16 AM
  5. Alex as a drummer
    By Chet Dakota in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.22.02, 07:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •