Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Rediscovering Pedals

Over the last year or two there's been a shift in my guitar playing habits. I ditched a real amp and pedals in the early nineties, first for rack gear - I got a Marshall JMP-1 preamp when they first launched and paired it with an Alesis Midiverb - and then became an early adopter of modelling technology, starting with the Boss GX700. That all suited me fine at the time when I was very much focused on my home studio. So I was almost twenty years without owning an amp, and I let go some nice pedals, like an original Marshall Guv'nor and an MIJ Boss CE-2.

Strangely, spending a few years working with IKM's Amplitube has got me into real amps again. I tried a few things for home use (my gigging days are long behind me), including an Orange Tiny Terror, before getting a 50th Anniversary Marshall JMP1 combo. I like the simplicity of that amp, and paired with a Greenback loaded cab (along with an improvised diffuser to sweeten the high end, and some NOS Mullard tubes) I'm getting the vintage Marshall tone of my dreams running at 0.1 watts in my attic office. It does everything from Angus-style classic rock through to Van Halen brown tones.

Recently, I've been wanting to complement this core sound with some stomp boxes. My lovely wife bought me a near mint MK1 Marshall Guv'nor for my birthday to replace the one I stupidly sold twenty years ago, and it's a wonderful pairing with the amp. I've also got a cheap Joyo Tube Screamer clone that's actually very nice. I've been hankering after an EVH Phase 90 for a while, and when I was in NYC a few weeks ago, I scored a used B&W model for $99 (along with a 1995 PRS CE24, but that's another long-winded post). Alas, I got the Phase 90 home to Northern Ireland and discovered the previous owner had removed the battery clip. I grabbed the nearest 9v adapter without checking the polarity, and of course fried the pedal. I'm hoping I can get it repaired in the next week or two.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I'm swearing off buying guitars for a while and concentrating instead on building up a pedalboard. I'm interested in opinions on the following contenders, or any recommendations for alternatives:

Drives: To go along with my Guv'nor and TS clone, I'm very interested in the EHX Soul Food drive pedal. It's supposed to be in the Klon Centaur ballpark, works well as a boost, and the online demos I've seen have been very impressive. And it's very reasonably priced. I'm also looking at EHX's Satisfaction fuzz; it's a Maestro Fuzz knock-off, and the Maestro is my favourite fuzz model in Amplitube, as well as being a key part of Billy Gibbons' early tone. Finally for drives, there's the cheap-n-cheerful Joyo Ultimate Drive, which is a clone of the Fulltone OCD, for a more aggressive distortion.

Mods: Like I said, I'm hoping to get that Phase 90 revived, but I'd also like a nice analog chorus. I bought an EHX Nano Clone on a whim a few days ago because it was dirt cheap. I have to say, though, it's not great. The online consensus seems to be the same. I'm now looking at the EHX Small Clone and Neo Clone. The Small Clone is attractive because it's close to the real deal in looks and sound, but the Neo Clone might be more practical. The Joyo Analog Chorus also appeals because it's a clone of the old Boss CE-2 I used to own, gets good reviews online, and it's very cheap. At the minute, I don't think I'm going to get a Flanger.

Delay: I want a nice analog delay, and I'm looking at the EXH Memory Boy and Memory Toy, and also the MXR Carbon Copy. The crazy stuff the Memory Boy can do when paired with an expression pedal is very appealing (think those oscillating swirls Tommy Bolin used to do), but the forums suggest they're a very temperamental pedal. The Carbon Copy seems very well regarded, and the modulation switch can approximate the flutter of a tape echo. A further choice might again be the Joyo Analog Delay.

Wah: I had a Dunlop Cry Baby back in the early 90s, and although I liked using it, it killed my tone when it was bypassed. Does anyone know if they've improved in that regard? What are the best alternatives now? I like the classic wah sound, no bells and whistles, I just don't want the life sucked out of my sound by putting it in the chain.

I've also got a board and power supply to think about at some point, but that's a discussion for another time. Any opinions welcome!
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

There are two drive pedals that I have built from generalguitargadgets.com that I would highly recommend.

The first one is my main pedal, and really the only pedal I use. I run into my amp with my amp's gain set low to medium, and generate most of my gain using this pedal:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...rtion/bsiab-2/

It is designed to take a clean amp and drive it up into a very convincing Marshall Plexi tone. If you push the gain on your amp up to a slight breakup, this pedal gets you into high gain brown tone very easily. I suppose it's really classified as a distortion pedal, but I use it primarily as an overdrive pedal, basically giving me 3 channels, clean with the pedal off, medium gain rhythm with the pedal on the clean channel, and high gain leads on my lead channel.

If you are looking for a more traditional overdrive pedal, I built an ITS8 with the "Very Expensive Boutique Mod". Basically, it is the same circuit as a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive pedal. It has the options of Germanium, or Silicon diodes. I built mine with Silicon diodes with asymmetrical clipping. There is a switch that allows you to switch from LED clipping to Diode clipping, or no clipping, which is great for boosting a clean amp for leads. It is based off of the original TS808 tube screamer, and comes with the correct IC chip to the original Tube Screamer. It will take you from the original Tube Screamer sound up to a crazy variety of really great high gain tones.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...tube-screamer/

I have not found anything on the market of production pedals that competes with either one of these two pedals. The closest I've heard is the Mad Professor 1 pedal. It comes close to the BSIAB2, but still does not have the flexibility. I highly recommend these two pedals.

They also have a variety of pedals for phase, delay and other stuff. They even have a Marshall Guv'nor kit. If the quality of their other pedals matches the ones I've built, I would say you would be very happy with any of them.

I'm slowly getting away from effects pedals. The most I will use anymore is a little delay in the loop. Sometimes chorus if I'm playing clean. I'm just starting to feel like the effects drag down the tone too much. All of my "in the loop" effects are from a Boss ME-70, when I use it. I've played a couple gigs with only reverb, and I actually found that I liked my tone better.

Good luck to you.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 06:16 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Charvel 2 can I ask you for some more detail regarding this modifications you made? " along with an improvised diffuser to sweeten the high end, and some NOS Mullard tubes"

I use a JMP1 Watt 50th Anniversary Head with a Greenback 12 in cab (Scumback Speaker) as my main amp.

I have had 3 of the 50th Anniversary Heads, but have sold the JTM and JCM and only kept the JMP which I love.

Thanks!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Cool post!
    Yeah...In a way I was in the same boat, except my situation was having to part with some of my more valuable gear, and go back to basics with some of my stuff I'll be buried with. Never sell it, so in essence, I had to basically rebuild a rig from existing components and make it work.
    My main amp is an old JMP 100w Super Lead head. I alternate between two cabinets...either my 70' Hiwatt cab loaded with 75x high efficiency Randall's for super clean tones, and my original 5150 slant cab.

My effects....I don't really use it, but for drive, have an old Butler Tube Works Real Tube pedal. It sounds great once you figure out the optimal settings with whatever amp you run. If you balance it right, it's basically like adding an extra preamp tube. They can be had on CL or Ebay fairly regularily. some people don't like 'em, but like I said, if you take a little time to balance it, it's great.
    Actually...personally my only real gain or drive addition that I actually use a lot is running a 10 band MXR EQ. It's got both a volume and gain slider, and if you balance them to just below clipping, you'd be amazed how much natural sounding gain you get.

Of course a Phase 90 is a must, so hope yours gets fixed!

Delay: I use an original tap machine....an Evan's Space echo with a foot switch to my board, but for analogs, I've played through the MXR Carbon Copy.....Amazing pedal! I'd highly recommend.

Chorus: I have the old Boss CE-2 or 3...Cna't remember off hand, but it's the one whith the concentric EQ.....Amazing pedal. When I had my 5150, and didn't have my Eventide 949, I actually picked the pedal up on the recommendation of a few players who said it was the only chorus going that you could make sound more like a harmonizer. It has more shimmer and depth without such heavy deep sweeps.
    Again...a great simple pedal to use.

Wah: Yeah.....They are a whole lot better when bypassed...No tonesucking at all on my Dunlop Hendrix from about 4 or 5 years ago. It also has the Fassel inductor which gives a great gritty vintage tone. Plus, I always "tune" my wahs by clocking them. I usually hate the way they are set from the factory. Way to bright, and not enough quack when rolled back. I just clock them, and they are much warmer, and gives the effect of more audible sweep from heel to toe. They are far better electronically than the stock Cry Baby of a decade or two ago....I do find the housings to be a little lighter duty though. The old 90's Dunlops were tanks!

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by we die young; 12.02.14 at 09:55 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    There are two drive pedals that I have built from generalguitargadgets.com that I would highly recommend.

The first one is my main pedal, and really the only pedal I use. I run into my amp with my amp's gain set low to medium, and generate most of my gain using this pedal:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...rtion/bsiab-2/
    You know, I hadn't considered kit pedals, and that BSIAB sounds great. I just don't have the time, though, and I'm not sure my soldering skills are quite up to it. I have a bunch of odd jobs to do with my guitars that I can't seem to get to, so taking on more projects isn't viable for the foreseeable
    future, between work, kids, family commitments, all that real world stuff that needs attending to.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Its Luke View Post
    Charvel 2 can I ask you for some more detail regarding this modifications you made? " along with an improvised diffuser to sweeten the high end, and some NOS Mullard tubes"

I use a JMP1 Watt 50th Anniversary Head with a Greenback 12 in cab (Scumback Speaker) as my main amp.

I have had 3 of the 50th Anniversary Heads, but have sold the JTM and JCM and only kept the JMP which I love.

Thanks!
    The first mod I did was to remove one of the ECC81 output tubes, the V4 position, leaving just the V3 position output tube. Just doing that reduces the volume (I was finding even 0.1w a little too much) and cuts headroom, thus providing more gain. Remember, those mini Marshalls based on the early non-master designs get most of their drive from the output stage,rather than the preamp stage. I then sourced a NOS Mullard ECC81, an early 60s one, and swapped out the remaining output tube for that. There was a big difference in tone: more gain, with a more natural organic saturation, and a more grainy, three-dimensional tone. Because ECC81/12AT7 tubes aren't used so often in guitar amps, they're easier come by than ECC83/12AX7 tubes.

Encouraged by those results, I sourced another NOS Mullard, an ECC83 for the V1 position. I bagged a late 50s example, and it cost quite a bit more than the ECC81. The difference in tone wasn't as dramatic as replacing the V3 tube, but it did enhance the grainy character. I might replace the V2 position at some point, but I doubt if it'll have much impact on tone.

I don't think these kinds of mods would impact the JCM or later amps in the same way, because they're more "modern" designs, but they certainly benefitted the JMP, and I imagine they would help the JTM too.

The "improvised diffuser" - that actually came about after a conversation here with another 50th anniversary user. We were discussing how the high end can be a little harsh with these, depending on the speaker. I've got a Vox Night Train cab which has Celestion Greenback, and it sounds much harder in the high end that you might expect. The fact that I'm sitting in very close proximity to the cab doesn't help, and it's incredibly directional. I did a little digging around looking at alternative speakers, and found one speaker company selling diffusers - basically discs of varying materials that are placed in line with the speaker's centre to break up the travel of the high frequencies, thus smoothing out the perceived treble response. I found a bit of acoustic foam and basically just hung it in front of the cab, over the centre of the speaker. The difference in tone was unbelievable. There was no loss in volume, but the top end became suddenly sweet and smooth. There's still plenty of bite and clarity, but the icepick frequencies have gone. It's like the difference between an on-axis and off-axis mic. And if I move the piece of foam around, it almost works like a presence control - I can brighten or sweeten the tone as required.

The next mod will be to get a bit of MDF or ply and seal up the back of the cabinet to improve low end response. When I can get the time...

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Delay: I use an original tap machine....an Evan's Space echo with a foot switch to my board, but for analogs, I've played through the MXR Carbon Copy.....Amazing pedal! I'd highly recommend.

Chorus: I have the old Boss CE-2 or 3...Cna't remember off hand, but it's the one whith the concentric EQ.....Amazing pedal. When I had my 5150, and didn't have my Eventide 949, I actually picked the pedal up on the recommendation of a few players who said it was the only chorus going that you could make sound more like a harmonizer. It has more shimmer and depth without such heavy deep sweeps.
    Again...a great simple pedal to use.

Wah: Yeah.....They are a whole lot better when bypassed...No tonesucking at all on my Dunlop Hendrix from about 4 or 5 years ago. It also has the Fassel inductor which gives a great gritty vintage tone. Plus, I always "tune" my wahs by clocking them. I usually hate the way they are set from the factory. Way to bright, and not enough quack when rolled back. I just clock them, and they are much warmer, and gives the effect of more audible sweep from heel to toe. They are far better electronically than the stock Cry Baby of a decade or two ago....I do find the housings to be a little lighter duty though. The old 90's Dunlops were tanks!
    Thanks for the rec on the Carbon Copy. The more I look into it, the more likely a contender that one seems. As for the Wah, I wonder are the Hendrix models still available? That "gritty vintage" tone is exactly what I'm after.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I love pedals. Of all the gear I've sold in the last 2 years I kept all of my pedals.

For OD and I'm not trying to come across as a fan boy but the best OD pedal I ever had was the Zakk Wylde MXR overdrive AKA berzerker OD. Really can push the amp/tone without getting muddy, harmonics fly off the fretboard with that. Plus used on ebay they are pretty cheap. Lots of metal guys use it but it can be great for hard/classic rock. Especially if...

you put it in front of an EVH phase 90. I made a mistake by selling my EVH phase for a ZW phase. The Wylde model is awesome, but I prefer the EVH and putting it behind the OD really cleaned it up. Was able to crank the OD and keep clarity.

I had a Black Label Chorus by MXR but I did not like it. So I got an EH small clone. I use the chorus for more of a sound effect instead of widening the sound and the small clone does that great (ala Kurt Cobain Come As You Are)

As far as delay goes I have a carbon copy and they are awesome for delay, modulation, plus you can open it up and take a small screwdriver and mess with the pots. If you go on YouTube and check out some rig rundowns or rigs of players a lot of them have carbon copies.

When I had an amp I have the PV 5150 combo, all my pedals were in the front nothing innthe FX loop, really worked out. Besides the pedals I mentioned I had a Boss sustainer (modded) in my chain that I rarely used and a ZW crybaby (modded) which I love but would really want to try the EVH crybaby as the mods to the ZW wah are an led on/off light and true bypass which the EVH has stock...would also like to try the Jerry Cantrell wah...

BTW... I'm a big fan of Dunlop/MXR great pedals
    Earn this...

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I hear ya. I think I had a total investment of about 4 hours in the construction of the BSIAB2. I didn't bother painting the pedal any funky colors, just wrote in each knob's function with a Sharpie. I think the pedal is around 80 bucks for the kit. Maybe you can find some retired electronics guy that is looking for something to fill his time with and pay him a few bucks to build it for you.

You do need to be careful building these things, because if you overheat the components, you can ruin them. If you do decide to get either pedal, I recommend getting the larger sized box. It makes it easier to mount the components inside. I built the ITS8 with the smaller box, and I had to shoe-horn everything in there.

One other cool thing about the BSIAB, is that it's incredibly quiet. Normally when you kick on a pedal of this type, you get the big hum or buzz. This thing is quiet as a church mouse.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

I thought I'd chime in and offer my 2 cents worth... after a long period of time using FX processors I moved back to pedals about 2.5 years ago. After much swapping/trying here's my advice:

I only tried the Zakk Wylde wah and EVH wah. EVH wah won hands-down. The Wylde was great at sounding like Zakk, but it didn't have the range that the EVH has.

As for overdrive, I LOVE my Wampler Euphoria and Clarksdale (I only run either/or). Both are very transparent and versatile. I also REALLY liked my OCD v.4. I personally didn't care of the Wylde overdrive. I had the MXR GT-OD for a while, which is the same exact circuit. It too was very transparent but overall it sounded a little too thin to my ears.

I don't normally use a distortion pedal and instead use the blue channel of my 5150 for almost everything. However, I keep a bunch of dirt pedals and leave on at a time on my board for when I want a different sound. CMAT MODS Brownie is basically the BSIAB2 circuit, and it's outstanding. I have a Wampler Pinnacle and Plextortion too. Both are great in their own right but I'd say the Plextortion is much more versatile. Best brown sound between the Pinnacle and Brownie? No contest. Both are great in different ways and I don't think they sound anything alike.

On to chorus, I had the MXR analog chorus in the blue enclosure which is the same as the Wylde chorus. I didn't really care for it. I ended up with the big yellow MXR Stereo Chorus that looks like brick and runs at 18v. I haven't looked back since. It's easily the best sounding chorus to my ears.

EVH Phase 90: Done. Never tried anything else, never will. It's basically two in one having both the sounds of the block logo and script logo phasers. Same with my EVH Flanger.

Someone above advised the MXR Carbon Copy delay and I couldn't agree more. In my opinion it's the absolute best analog delay on the market.

Finally, I use a TC Hall of Fame reverb low in the mix at the end since EVH didn't include a reverb on the 5150. It's very useful because it's very versatile offering just about every type and sound of reverb possible.

I have other effects on my board too, but tried to only answer what was asked about.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 06:16 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    The first mod I did was to remove one of the ECC81 output tubes, the V4 position, leaving just the V3 position output tube. Just doing that reduces the volume (I was finding even 0.1w a little too much) and cuts headroom, thus providing more gain. Remember, those mini Marshalls based on the early non-master designs get most of their drive from the output stage,rather than the preamp stage. I then sourced a NOS Mullard ECC81, an early 60s one, and swapped out the remaining output tube for that. There was a big difference in tone: more gain, with a more natural organic saturation, and a more grainy, three-dimensional tone. Because ECC81/12AT7 tubes aren't used so often in guitar amps, they're easier come by than ECC83/12AX7 tubes.

Encouraged by those results, I sourced another NOS Mullard, an ECC83 for the V1 position. I bagged a late 50s example, and it cost quite a bit more than the ECC81. The difference in tone wasn't as dramatic as replacing the V3 tube, but it did enhance the grainy character. I might replace the V2 position at some point, but I doubt if it'll have much impact on tone.

I don't think these kinds of mods would impact the JCM or later amps in the same way, because they're more "modern" designs, but they certainly benefitted the JMP, and I imagine they would help the JTM too.

The "improvised diffuser" - that actually came about after a conversation here with another 50th anniversary user. We were discussing how the high end can be a little harsh with these, depending on the speaker. I've got a Vox Night Train cab which has Celestion Greenback, and it sounds much harder in the high end that you might expect. The fact that I'm sitting in very close proximity to the cab doesn't help, and it's incredibly directional. I did a little digging around looking at alternative speakers, and found one speaker company selling diffusers - basically discs of varying materials that are placed in line with the speaker's centre to break up the travel of the high frequencies, thus smoothing out the perceived treble response. I found a bit of acoustic foam and basically just hung it in front of the cab, over the centre of the speaker. The difference in tone was unbelievable. There was no loss in volume, but the top end became suddenly sweet and smooth. There's still plenty of bite and clarity, but the icepick frequencies have gone. It's like the difference between an on-axis and off-axis mic. And if I move the piece of foam around, it almost works like a presence control - I can brighten or sweeten the tone as required.

The next mod will be to get a bit of MDF or ply and seal up the back of the cabinet to improve low end response. When I can get the time...
    Thanks for the info, I will have to check into that! Admittedly I have never been on the inside of a tube amp so I haven't made any modifications on my own yet, still have a lot to learn.

-I have some 1x12 cabinets that Marshall made in the 80's and I have the scumback Paper Voice Coil Greenback and Black back in each cab for some different tonal options for the JMP1 Head.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    Thanks for the rec on the Carbon Copy. The more I look into it, the more likely a contender that one seems. As for the Wah, I wonder are the Hendrix models still available? That "gritty vintage" tone is exactly what I'm after.
    Cool!
    Yeah...I think they still make the Hendrix....It's been a bread and butter pedal for them for years. Even if they don't, they pop up quite often on CL, or Ebay. The other good wah they make is the Cantrell (AIC) model. It's the worn copper looking one. It's actually based on the Hendrix, but is factory "clocked", and in addition has the adjustment knob to tailor the tone to your liking. It also has the Fassel inductor, so it sounds great.