Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Guy's Facebook Rants Put Him In Prison, And The Supreme Court Hears His Case Today

The Supreme Court is going to hear a free speech case today that will determine whether a then-27-year-old's violent, rap-inspired Facebook posts should have landed him behind bars.

The court will hear the case of Anthony Douglas Elonis, who was convicted of violating a federal law that bars making interstate threats to harm people.

Elonis' string of damning Facebook rants came after his wife of seven years left him and took their two kids with her in May 2010, according to the petition asking the Supreme Court to hear the case.

Elonis made questionable Facebook posts about his former employer (an amusement park that fired him), followed by posts about his estranged wife, and then a post in which he appeared to threaten elementary school kids. That last post prompted the FBI to start monitoring him, which in turn inspired a derogatory post from Elonis about the "Little Agent Lady" who came to his door.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/angry-...143456190.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The Supreme Court is going to hear a free speech case today that will determine whether a then-27-year-old's violent, rap-inspired Facebook posts should have landed him behind bars.

The court will hear the case of Anthony Douglas Elonis, who was convicted of violating a federal law that bars making interstate threats to harm people.

Elonis' string of damning Facebook rants came after his wife of seven years left him and took their two kids with her in May 2010, according to the petition asking the Supreme Court to hear the case.

Elonis made questionable Facebook posts about his former employer (an amusement park that fired him), followed by posts about his estranged wife, and then a post in which he appeared to threaten elementary school kids. That last post prompted the FBI to start monitoring him, which in turn inspired a derogatory post from Elonis about the "Little Agent Lady" who came to his door.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/angry-...143456190.html
    This stuff terrifies me and will eventually get me to stop posting on this site. We are no longer "free"
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

Patriot Act.

National Defense Authorization Act.

We gave pretty much all our rights away with the signing of these two acts if the government wants to take them all away. If we ever become a military dictatorship, historians will trace it back to the signing of those two acts and say "what the fuck were they thinking?"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

I'm a pretty big free speech guy, but when you make direct threats on FBI agents and say that you want to kill someone on repeated occasions, you kind of have it coming, don't you? If we can't yell fire in a crowded theater and can't make direct threats to people wishing death or bodily injury, it's hard to sympathize with this guy. Facebook is NOT your personal diary, nor are your comments on a message board. If you want to vent about killing someone but won't ever actually do it, it's best not to do it in a public forum. Buy a notebook, write some dark poetry, and grow up.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

6. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 11,724 Times in 6,496 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I'm a pretty big free speech guy, but when you make direct threats on FBI agents and say that you want to kill someone on repeated occasions, you kind of have it coming, don't you? If we can't yell fire in a crowded theater and can't make direct threats to people wishing death or bodily injury, it's hard to sympathize with this guy. Facebook is NOT your personal diary, nor are your comments on a message board. If you want to vent about killing someone but won't ever actually do it, it's best not to do it in a public forum. Buy a notebook, write some dark poetry, and grow up.
    Wasn't it Eminem lyrics that he posted?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Wasn't it Eminem lyrics that he posted?
    I haven't seen that. Maybe. Still, can you make obvious threats about people as long as you use popular music lyrics to do it?

The two choices it seems the justices have here both suck:

1) Would a reasonable person think these were threatening?

2) Or, as his lawyers argue, did the person saying them mean them as a threat?

The first one seems very broad that could misunderstand sarcasm, while the second one is almost impossible to prove. I'd imagine this case will bring a resolution that few people like.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.