Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Religion Is Dying Out In Nine Countries

Parts of the world are literally losing their religion, according to a new study.

The study, conducted by the American Physical Society, finds that religion is dying out in nine countries.

The findings unveiled at an APS meeting in Dallas show that religion may become extinct in Australia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Canada, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Switzerland.

The study, conducted by Richard Wiener of the University of Arizona, and Daniel Abrams and Haley Yaple of Northwestern University, took data stretching back 100 years for those nine countries.

"In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40 percent, and the highest number was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60 percent."

The study also found that "Americans without affiliation comprise the only religious group growing in all 50 states."

"In 2008 those claiming no religion rose to 15 percent nationwide, with a maximum in Vermont at 34 percent," the study says.

The study concludes that religion in these societies might one day disappear.

"The model predicts that for societies in which the perceived utility of not adhering is greater than the utility of adhering, religion will be driven toward extinction."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

FALSE! Vermont has a growing religion. It called white cheddar and it seems to be taking over everything

but I do like the popcorn.....does that mean I'm not a Lutheran/Catholic hybrid anymore? if so that sucks cause i was just getting to the point were I really dig the guilt.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

to say it's dying out is reach and to predict extinction is just ridiculous but people are not as religious as they were in prior times. Personally I think is much more about changes in western society and people becoming more narcissistic. It's all about themselves for many people and religion doesn't play well into that. And it shouldn't.

Not that I care. If you want to be part of a religion, cool. If not, that's cool too. Just be a good person and go about your business and leave me alone. I don't like when people are over the top about their faith. I and don't like it when people are over the top about their lack of faith. Both are very unlikeable groups of people to me.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

All those countries are mostly Christian. Islam is growing like a weed.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Nobody comments on the fact that the study was conducted by Dick Wiener? I'll tell you what is not dying saucey boy, my faith and let me tell you, faith is an awesome thing...possibly the most awesome of things.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Nobody comments on the fact that the study was conducted by Dick Wiener? I'll tell you what is not dying saucey boy, my faith and let me tell you, faith is an awesome thing...possibly the most awesome of things.
    His parents were real dicks, weren't they?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

I read a study that said heterosexuality was dying out, especially in Canada

The author, Dick Zucker, wrote that in just 20 years or so there would only be a handful of straight men left in Canada.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:04 PM
    Liked 16,575 Times in 9,401 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I read a study that said heterosexuality was dying out, especially in Canada

The author, Dick Zucker, wrote that in just 20 years or so there would only be a handful of straight men left in Canada.
    Are Canadian girls REALLY ugly, or something?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Are Canadian girls REALLY ugly, or something?
    nahh, it's just that us Canadian guys are just so damn good looking.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    His parents were real dicks, weren't they?
    and if anyone can spot a dick, it is a dick.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    to say it's dying out is reach and to predict extinction is just ridiculous but people are not as religious as they were in prior times. Personally I think is much more about changes in western society and people becoming more narcissistic. It's all about themselves for many people and religion doesn't play well into that. And it shouldn't.

Not that I care. If you want to be part of a religion, cool. If not, that's cool too. Just be a good person and go about your business and leave me alone. I don't like when people are over the top about their faith. I and don't like it when people are over the top about their lack of faith. Both are very unlikeable groups of people to me.
    It's not ridiculous at all and it has nothing to do with people being more narcissistic. The fact of the matter is that newer generations are embracing science and logic and simply cannot believe in moronic fairy tales in this day and age.

They will be good people and they don't need bullshit created by man to ensure that they will be good through fear. Society is waking up and becoming more progressive - thus often atheist and religious people hate it. It's inevitable like everything else - religion will die out and those who are holding the reins and have their hands on the switch are very worried about that, which is exactly why churches are trying to appeal to young people - because like any other "industry", they are afraid of losing their jobs.

Christianity is just a “generation away from extinction” unless churches make a dramatic breakthrough in attracting young people back to the faith, the former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey has warned.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Whatever you need to get you through the day.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

which reminds me....what exactly is the "spotted dick" dish that I hear about and how did it get such a terrible name?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Why does anybody even bother with this guy?

Really?

Mr Sauce is "progressive", runs his own forum, is pro gay marriage, hates religion, and thinks America sucks...

That's the gist of him. People still want to entertain him?

You're all gluttons for punishment.

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    It's not ridiculous at all and it has nothing to do with people being more narcissistic. The fact of the matter is that newer generations are embracing science and logic and simply cannot believe in moronic fairy tales in this day and age.

They will be good people and they don't need bullshit created by man to ensure that they will be good through fear. Society is waking up and becoming more progressive - thus often atheist and religious people hate it. It's inevitable like everything else - religion will die out and those who are holding the reins and have their hands on the switch are very worried about that, which is exactly why churches are trying to appeal to young people - because like any other "industry", they are afraid of losing their jobs.

Christianity is just a “generation away from extinction” unless churches make a dramatic breakthrough in attracting young people back to the faith, the former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey has warned.

it is ridiculus when you appreciate what the term extinct means. A generation away? You don't think any Christians will have kids who'll be Christians in the future? None. Really?

And science and religion go hand in hand. At the end of the day, there will always be questions that science will never be able to answer. And that's where religion or faith or call it whatever you want comes in. You want to paint the non-relgious as the holders or logic or science (basically just a way to say people like you are smarter than us dopes who believe in the spaghetti monster). Except that it's not true. It's just the cries of usually the young (I'm guessing you're younger than me) and the narcissists (see Maher, Bill). Basically the know it alls. When you discover you don't know it all (and one day you might), you might find the religious less silly.

Will church attendance be lower in a generation? Maybe. I don't know. And it's foolish to think there's certainty on this. My church isn't a bunch of old people waiting to die. There's a bunch of kids - actually it's the kids that often get the 30 and 40 year olds to rediscover the church. You hate religion and you're cheering for it to end. Don't confuse what you want with what will be. I want the Leafs to win 5 straight titles. I'm not foolish enough to think it's gonna happen. When my children get married it'll likely be in a church. And the same is true for their children. The church has been around forever, betting that it won't be around in 50 years is a guaranteed loser.