Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Creativity and style. That's it.

Now, let me justify. I was at a party earlier this evening (I'm at college), and it pretty much sucked. It just wasn't fun. All the required items were present: some beer, some music, some friends, some women, a beer pong table, etc. It just didn't have that extra jolt to make it a really fun party. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why.

As I was about to leave, I realized what it was. There was no creativity. There was no style. This was a typical "have beer, will drink" college party. Been there, done that, bought the program, got the CD. Show me something new.

I've been to some pretty fun parties this semester, and I realized that every fun night had some style to it. It wasn't just people sitting around drinking. It was people sitting around drinking in Hawiian shirts and straw hats, doing the limbo with a stairway bannister taken from down the hall.

And that's the key to the continued success of VH. Now, I'm on record as saying that VH with DLR is my favorite era by far. I think DLR's a great frontman. Back in the day, he was creative. DLR had style, in my opinion, until right after Your Filthy Little Mouth. If you didn't like that album, fine. I thought it was mediocre myself. But, the album had style.

It's my opinion that the DLR Band album had no style. The whole album was a damn cliche. There were no musical risks. No lyrical risks. Dave was recycling quotes from the early VH days into "catchy" songs with no substance. I'm sure people will argue with me on this point, but shit... we've already heard about your face going places we wouldn't go without a pistol. Dave's been to hell and back about 20 times by now, and the fact that he's recycling material is disgraceful. If you want catchy rock songs with no substance, buy the new Motley Crue shit and listen to Vince Neil scream. VH is capable of much more.

So back to my point: the VH reunion will thrive if it's based on creativity and style. Who records "Happy Trails" for an album? Who writes a song like "Little Guitars", and then sings it with the swagger of a Latin superstar? Who writes the intro solo to "Mean Streets"? Who writes the harmonies of "Could This Be Magic?". Van Halen does. And if Van Halen creates (not REcreates) style like that, they'll do just fine. The may not sell 1.6 mill in the first week like the teen pop stars, but hell.. who's sitting around counting record sales? Not me.

Music ain't about record sales. It's about turning heads.

Sorry for the long rant.

Regards,
    DTK

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Impressive post man, captured that special 'x-factor' of that Dave/VH chemistry. Not everyone 'gets it', but I know what your cookin there!

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We try so hard to relive the past and recapture our youth wondering if Van Halen will ever fly with Dave again.
    You see Van Halen still exists wheather it's on cd or video and for that matter in real life,but we just have to except that what ever eventuates it won't be the same as the first time we heard Van Halen.
    The first time we experienced music that transcends all other genres or musical styles and made us realise how lucky we are to live in the time of these guys.
    Imagine being born 50 years earlier never to understand ERUPTION or UNCHAINED or EVERYBODY WANTS SOME.Nows not the time to bitch and moan just be glad that we understand and can still say "yeah I remember Van Halen".

[This message has been edited by pkjr (edited November 30, 2000 at 01:55 AM).]

No Bozo's
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DannyTheKid:

It's my opinion that the DLR Band album had no style. The whole album was a damn cliche. There were no musical risks. No lyrical risks. Dave was recycling quotes from the early VH days into "catchy" songs with no substance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DLR band *I* thought had mass style in it!

*I* thought it had way more creativness than all of his other solo bands.

NB's Top 3?, ...

Black Sand(almost made me cry)
    Slam Dunk(The only reason why I bought it)
    Little Texas(talkin bout his hometown girls)

"To each his own though" -NB

I'd like to see more posts from ya though!

------------------
    *StoneWeiserKing*

*Chronic Bud Smoker Of VHForums*

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Yah.. I dug DLR band as well, It was fun, and Black Sand was a total mindwarp!

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

No Bozo's
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goo:
    Yah.. I dug DLR band as well, It was fun, and Black Sand was a total mindwarp!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Word to the GooMeister, ...

God talk about "Feelings" in BS!

Total warp ... Good Call!

Late ...

------------------
    *Chronic Bud Smoker Of VHForums*

*StoneWeiserKing"

*Broken Down n' Dirty Dressed In Rags*-DOA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

DannyTheKid I totally agree with you, you nailed it. Based on every previouse album Vh has done with Roth I fully expect something unique. I dont think they will give us some canned fun or faked emotion.

There is a chemisrty that Ed, Alex and Mike have with Dave, Im not saying that they all love each other like brothers (ED&AL Excluded) but there is something that they all bring out in each other that gives us the classic VH sound. I think they totally nailed it again with the two songs on BOVH, those two songs were done pretty fast imagine what they will give us after 9 months or so.
    I am expecting something amazing, Im not saying its going to play well to the High School kids of today or sell 27 million trillion albums but I fully expect them to re-capture the magic they had back in "84".

------------------
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    and thats about what its worth

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, good post Danny! I think all people hear know why VH with DLR is so special. They just have that feeling. I've actually tried to put that feeling into words many times but with no success. And man, you have done it pretty well! You're right when you say that VH had creativity and style. The other think I think VH did better than anybody else was that they always put on a "show" not a "concert". I saw the Foo Fighters play not long ago and they were just boring. They were technically ok but they just got up and played and then walked off. There was no "show", no "spectical". That's what puts classic VH in a different league to most other bands in my book.

------------------
    RD

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good topic guys, what ole Naytch thinks this album needs is probably not what everybody is thinking about at first. Dave being back is going to be different in itself, regardless of whether he sucks or kicks ass (hopefully he doesn't suck). Whats gonna put this album over or make it suck is ED'S RIFFS!! A perfect example was VHIII. There was some great guitar work on there, but only a few riffs stick out in my mind. Now, go listen to Fair Warning. You could mute Dave out, and that album still kicks ass because Ed was on fucking FIRE!!!!! Where Ed goes, so goes this album. I know Ed's become a control freak now, but he needs to concentrate on his guitar, because he sets the tone for every VH album. Dave has always handled the singing, and always done a good job with VH. What this album needs is what is missing from today's "rock". KICK ASS RIFFS. They are few and far between these days, maybe even non existent. If this album has some kickass riffs, maybe a "black-sand-type" song or two, and some unique guitar work (kind of like Dirty Water Dog, I like the guitar on that song), this album will sell, and sell well.
    Danny, I think you mentioned that Dave was missing style as of late. I agree with you sort of. Do you think he regained some of that old style on Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM? I'm not sure myself, I do love both of those songs, but I don't know if Dave was in classic form or not. He sure has had time to get it back though.

And remember, to be the man, you gotta beat the man... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

how about Best Patience Award? It would go to all van halen fans!

------------------
    your official vhlinks prosecutor

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

"Oh, Danny-boy, the posts, the posts are callin'..."

Great post, bro.

I echo your sentiments on creativity and style. VH (especially during the Dave years ) had the 'get the hell outta our way, we're bustin' through, motherfucker!' attitude - AND they could back it up. Can't be beat, IMO.

(But you and I part paths at not *always* diggin the "have beer, will drink" state of mind. LOL )

------------------
    "Hey Down, my brotha, never ever forget your priorities... Beer first, trash second." - A life lesson, courtesy of track 5

Official Bartender Of VHForums

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not worried at all as to whether the music will be good enough for a successful reunion, my concern is whether or not Dave and VH will get along this time. I know they have been back working together for some time now, but I believe most of that time has been limited the the studio only. What is critical is for them to be on the same page (as far as stage persona) when and if they begin to tour. If Dave is drinking and breathing his favorite smoke before and during concerts there will be much tension. If he can play it cool and concentrate on vocals I think they will stay together and create awesome music for years to come.

[This message has been edited by Diver Down (edited November 30, 2000 at 01:50 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Diver Down (edited November 30, 2000 at 01:52 PM).]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, all. Glad to see the topic went over well. It's always interesting to reread what you were thinking the night of a party after you've had a chance to sleep off the "effects" of the party. I'm just glad my post didn't consist of "heeaay guys VH aais AWEsom!"

DIF... I can understand your point of view on "have beer, will drink". But, in the case of last night, it was only Busch Light. I'm no beer snob (I'll happily take a can of the Beast), but something abotu Busch is just damn near intolerable. That'd be an interesting topic, actually... favorite beer.

No Bozos... glad you liked DLR Band. It was a fun album, I'll agree with Goo. I didn't get "Black Sands" all that well, but I freely admit it's my own fault. As Dave would say, I haven't been around the block that many times in my life yet. Personally, I have "Relentless", "Slam Dunk", and "King of the Hill" on my computer's high rotation playlist.

Nature Boy... yeah, I thought they had something special with MWM. You just listen to it and you know. The guitar work was exceptional, and the lyrics, while very "cryptic", definately had style. My only complaint about that song was that the key was too high. I know this has already been debated on the boards, so I'll just say that Dave's best songs were NEVER sung high, and they shouldn't be now. But to answer your question, yeah, MWM was the right track. It'd be cool to see what the original 4 could do WITHOUT some WB puppet like Ray breathing down their necks.

Everyone have a good weekend.

DTK

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DannyTheKid:
    DIF... I can understand your point of view on "have beer, will drink". But, in the case of last night, it was only Busch Light. I'm no beer snob (I'll happily take a can of the Beast), but something abotu Busch is just damn near intolerable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not my favorite, either.

But this is neither the time nor place. Which leads me to...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> That'd be an interesting topic, actually... favorite beer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you don't check out Non-Music.

You should bust into Non, and stop by a thread called, "Beeruption."

The name is self-explanatory, don't you think?

(No one EVER talks about Busch beer, there. )

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Everyone have a good weekend.

DTK <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back 'atcha, DTK.

------------------
    "Hey Down, my brotha, never ever forget your priorities... Beer first, trash second." - A life lesson, courtesy of track 5

Official Bartender Of VHForums

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Diver Down about Dave. If he is getting fucked up during the show and trashing his voice every night, it could get ugly. They also need to stick with writing their own songs. If they pull some Aerosmith bullshit I would really be pissed.

------------------

Here's to your thin red line....MMMMMM I'm stepping over!