Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Jon Stewart Educates Bill O'Reilly On Why The Democrats Lost The Midterms

Bill O'Reilly welcomed back "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart to "The Factor" tonight, pressing him on why the Democrats lost in the midterm election.

Stewart said Democrats didn't run on anything, choosing to "curl up in a little ball" and try to make the argument that they also disagree with President Obama.

"Here's what they ran on: 'we don't like Obama either. I don't know who voted for him. We don't want anything to do with the guy,'" said Stewart. O'Reilly argued their strategy stemmed from the fact that Obama's approval ratings had declined so dramatically.

Stewart then said he believes there's a disconnect between President Obama and Democrats, which did not exist when Bill Clinton was in office.

"I believe he has a bit of disdain for the Democrats, I believe they have a bit of disdain for him. It's not like the Clinton machine," said Stewart.

O'Reilly countered that Democrats lost because young voters, Stewart's viewers, did not show up at the polls.

Stewart called out Republicans for getting together in 2009, and agreeing that they would block Obama's agenda at every turn.

"When he came into office, the Republicans met in a restaurant and said, 'We will deny this man any bipartisan agreement. We will undercut anything that he offers, to the detriment of the country but the short-term gain of our party and that is how they've operated the past six years," said Stewart.

O'Reilly countered that when Democrats had the House and Senate for two years, they chose to focus on ObamaCare and not on immigration reform.

Stewart said Democrats are to blame as well, but argued the Republicans have gained politically by never "owning" anything and winning by "attrition."

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:14 AM
    Liked 6,814 Times in 3,563 Posts

Premium Member

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

These two guys obviously like each other. They have done charity debates, they go on each other's shows, they have a good time on each other's shows, and there is a lot of humor putting each other down.

While they believe totally different things, you can't come away from all of their interactions without figuring out that they respect each other despite their differences.

I don't think either one of these guys educated the other. However, I guarantee that a regular O'Reilly/Stewart special would be ratings gold.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 11,721 Times in 6,495 Posts

Premium Member

†"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Republicans didn't go in with that strategy initially. It wasn't until Obama's arrogance of telling Republicans that "elections have consequences" and "you lost, get over it," that they dug in their heels. He wasn't interested in hearing from them despite all the posturing. When the largest piece of legislation in a generation, Obamacare, was being debated, he made it a point not to negotiate the terms at all. He and the rest of the Democratic leadership decided it was more politically expedient to pass the ACA strictly along party lines without a single Republican vote. They thought it was going to be such a popular piece of legislation they could run on it for a generation and that by showing not a single Republican voted for it, that they could show how heartless and uncaring the Republican party is.

The problem was that the minute it passed, it caused a toxic relationship with Republicans who had their entire base (and half the country) frothing at the mouth. To make matters worse, Obamacare has turned into a political liability, not an asset, and every candidate in a contested election that has voted for Obamacare has had to distance themselves both from the legislation as well as its namesake.

Simply put, Democrats lost because Americans don't believe the Democratic Party nor the President can effectively lead the country to the right track. They are skeptical of Republicans as well (and deservedly so), but they essentially gave the Republicans the ball and said "go fix it."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I don't know how anyone could watch either of their shows. But whatever, they get viewers and are making $$$$ so good for them.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Simply put, Democrats lost because Americans don't believe the Democratic Party nor the President can effectively lead the country to the right track. They are skeptical of Republicans as well (and deservedly so), but they essentially gave the Republicans the ball and said "go fix it."
    You're right, and this is exactly why Obama became President in the first place. "W" was doing such a bad job that we elected our first black President with the middle name "Hussein" and last name that rhymed with the first name of our number one enemy.

I fear we're going to continue with this endless cycle of parties failing and people voting in the other one. Republicans should have an easier time in 2016.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

When the largest piece of legislation in a generation, Obamacare, was being debated, he made it a point not to negotiate the terms at all. He and the rest of the Democratic leadership decided it was more politically expedient to pass the ACA strictly along party lines without a single Republican vote. They thought it was going to be such a popular piece of legislation they could run on it for a generation and that by showing not a single Republican voted for it, that they could show how heartless and uncaring the Republican party is.
    Not negotiate?? During the entire debate, which lasted over a year, Republican concepts and proposals were included in the legislation. Hundreds of Republican amendments were adopted during the committee mark-up process. Both the Senate and the House passed key Republican proposals that are incorporated into Obamacare. They got many of their ideas and amendments put in there, and they voted against it anyway. Obamacare is Romney care in Mass. but on a national level, AND it is the same Republican plan introduced by Bob Dole (R) and the Heritage foundation. In fact, Republican President Richard Nixon proposed, in essence, todayís Affordable Care Act in 1974. lmao

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    Not negotiate?? During the entire debate, which lasted over a year, Republican concepts and proposals were included in the legislation. Hundreds of Republican amendments were adopted during the committee mark-up process. Both the Senate and the House passed key Republican proposals that are incorporated into Obamacare. They got many of their ideas and amendments put in there, and they voted against it anyway. Obamacare is Romney care in Mass. but on a national level, AND it is the same Republican plan introduced by Bob Dole (R) and the Heritage foundation. In fact, Republican President Richard Nixon proposed, in essence, todayís Affordable Care Act in 1974. lmao
    Where in the heck do you get this stuff? There's so much incorrect in this post I don't know where to start. It's not the same proposal from Heritage, first of all. There was no mandate in that plan, just a tax incentive if you have coverage. That's more than a minor difference. Second, the final piece of legislation was not written by Republicans. Here's the truth from politifact:

But it's a stretch to characterize it as bipartisan.

The Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions adopted 159 amendments offered by Republicans, but only two of them were significant or controversial enough to merit roll call votes. One of those two affected the manufacture of biologics medication and another required members of Congress and congressional staff to enroll in the government-run option.

None of the Republicans' priorities have gotten any traction, he said: Tort reform, equalizing the tax code, reducing the proposed cuts to Medicare spending, and scrapping the proposed "public option."

In fact, he said, only one big-picture Republican issue seems to have gotten the attention of the Democratic majority: creating incentives for wellness, such as cutting insurance costs for people who exercise or don't smoke.

Over in the House, several versions of health care bills have passed various committees. Here's how Republican amendments fared there:

In the Energy and Commerce Committee, 16 Republican amendments were adopted. With the exception of one that would create a pathway for nonpioneer drug companies to manufacture "follow-on" biologics, said Lisa Miller, a spokeswoman for Republicans on the committee, none of the Republican amendments could be considered major, and none change the core of the legislation.

"The process in our committee was bipartisan only in that we were given the opportunity to mark up the bill," said Miller. "In large measure, the bipartisanship that existed during the E&C markup was that of luck and circumstance, not intent among Democrats."
    As for Richard Nixon, it's funny that any of the President's supporters would hitch their wagon to something Richard Nixon wanted. Also, that didn't include a mandate. The Nixon Foundation has a nice piece detailing all of the major differences, but I won't bore you with the facts.

As much as Democrats want to "credit" Republicans with Obamacare, not one single Republican voted for it. Not one Republican ever voted for the plan proposed by Dole or Heritage. Not one Republican ever voted on Nixon's plan. There's a reason for that.

I don't know why Democrats insist on telling Republicans they really wanted Obamacare when it's factually inaccurate. Something tells me they wouldn't be making that concerted of an effort about it if the bill was actually doing what it promised to do. Sorry, but this crap pile is solely from the Democratic party, no matter how many times they try and push the blame elsewhere.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

Where in the heck do you get this stuff? There's so much incorrect in this post I don't know where to start. It's not the same proposal from Heritage, first of all. There was no mandate in that plan, just a tax incentive if you have coverage. That's more than a minor difference. Second, the final piece of legislation was not written by Republicans. Here's the truth from politifact:

As for Richard Nixon, it's funny that any of the President's supporters would hitch their wagon to something Richard Nixon wanted. Also, that didn't include a mandate. The Nixon Foundation has a nice piece detailing all of the major differences, but I won't bore you with the facts.

As much as Democrats want to "credit" Republicans with Obamacare, not one single Republican voted for it. Not one Republican ever voted for the plan proposed by Dole or Heritage. Not one Republican ever voted on Nixon's plan. There's a reason for that.

I don't know why Democrats insist on telling Republicans they really wanted Obamacare when it's factually inaccurate. Something tells me they wouldn't be making that concerted of an effort about it if the bill was actually doing what it promised to do. Sorry, but this crap pile is solely from the Democratic party, no matter how many times they try and push the blame elsewhere.
    i don't think they want ownership of it so they're trying to pass it off as some sort of hybrid that only went wrong because of republican interference. I don't think many swing voters are going to buy that.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    You're right, and this is exactly why Obama became President in the first place. "W" was doing such a bad job that we elected our first black President with the middle name "Hussein" and last name that rhymed with the first name of our number one enemy.

I fear we're going to continue with this endless cycle of parties failing and people voting in the other one. Republicans should have an easier time in 2016.
    It's so true. It all goes in a cycle. I would be shocked if a Democrat won the presidency in 2016.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

There was no mandate in that plan, just a tax incentive if you have coverage. That's more than a minor difference. Second, the final piece of legislation was not written by Republicans.
    It absolutely was part of the Heritage's idea that there should be an individual mandate. It was published in a paper titled, “A National Health System for America.” http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...m-for-america:
    Stuart M. Butler, proposed that “every resident of the U.S. must, by law, be enrolled in an adequate health care plan to cover major health care costs.”
    Let's see it. Under Nixon’s plan all but the smallest employers would provide insurance to their workers or pay a penalty, an expanded Medicaid-type program would insure the poor, and subsidies would be provided to low-income individuals and small employers. Sounds pretty familiar to me.

No one said R's wanted it after the President proposed it. Ironically, they sure didn't have a problem when Romney did it or when Bob Dole rolled it out in response to Hillary care. Or when an individual mandate bill was introduced by Republican Senator John Chafee, or in 1994, another Republican bill, titled the “Consumer Choice Health Security Act of 1994,” initially included an individual mandate. Are you going to tell me that there are also "major differences" in Romneycare now too? Obamacare is based on conservative, not liberal, ideas about individual responsibility and the power of market forces. Still, the conservatives want it to fail and voted against it (after including their amendments and including many of their ideas) because it was not politically expedient to support anything this President wanted.
    Last edited by gabby gabbster; 11.17.14 at 10:44 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i don't think they want ownership of it so they're trying to pass it off as some sort of hybrid that only went wrong because of republican interference. I don't think many swing voters are going to buy that.
    That's totally correct. I was being a little facetious in my post there about Democrats wanting to give Republicans credit. Obviously they want to spread the blame to the Republicans as well so they don't own this thing completely. Like you said, people aren't buying that.

I find it interesting that Obamacare has more people that hate it than want to keep it. The number of people that want to outright repeal it is 56% in the latest Gallup poll, while only (If I remember correctly) 37% want to keep it. It's trending in the wrong direction and it still hasn't even been completely implemented. Any hope of this thing being a flagship for the Democratic Party in future elections is fading fast, and its prospects of being an achor to their feet is rising.

Last Online

That's totally correct. I was being a little facetious in my post there about Democrats wanting to give Republicans credit. Obviously they want to spread the blame to the Republicans as well so they don't own this thing completely.
    No one is spreading any blame... just pointing out the irony of how many conservatives were for it before they were conveniently against it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    It absolutely was part of the Heritage's idea that there should be an individual mandate. It was published in a paper titled, “A National Health System for America.” http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...m-for-america:

Let's see it. Under Nixon’s plan all but the smallest employers would provide insurance to their workers or pay a penalty, an expanded Medicaid-type program would insure the poor, and subsidies would be provided to low-income individuals and small employers. Sounds pretty familiar to me.

No one said R's wanted it after the President proposed it. Ironically, they sure didn't have a problem when Romney did it or when Bob Dole rolled it out in response to Hillary care. Or when an individual mandate bill was introduced by Republican Senator John Chafee, or in 1994, another Republican bill, titled the “Consumer Choice Health Security Act of 1994,” initially included an individual mandate. Are you going to tell me that there are also "major differences" in Romneycare now too? Obamacare is based on conservative, not liberal, ideas about individual responsibility and the power of market forces. Still, the conservatives want it to fail and voted against it (after including their amendments and including many of their ideas) because it was not politically expedient to support anything this President wanted.
    So you're telling me that Obamacare is everything that Republicans ever wanted but now are suddenly against it because it was Obama's proposal?

That's really what you're going to go with?

Why are they against it? Is it because they are racist or something?