Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default Floyd trem blocks

Hey all, I've seen some you talk about switching out your trem blocks to get a more solid tone. Turns out I'm in that boat right now. For my latest build, I just used the body, pickup, and hardware of my 1979 Frank replica and the Floyd-licensed bridge from my 1983 Frank replica, as it was one of the weakest of all of guitars. Well, turns out the tone with that bridge is the problem. It's not an official Floyd, just a licensed knock-off (I have legit Floyds on all other builds). Turns out the tone is about the same as it was on the 1983 replica, so that's obviously a bridge issue. The block on this one is obviously pretty crappy.

I've never bought a replacement block -- so school me.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

I'll have to look around for a link, but I know that "jimi" has used every size and make of Floyd Rose tremolo block out there...this includes Titanium, brass and tungsten. He knows all there is to know about Floyds and blocks for sure.

I only have one guitar with a Floyd and that is on my black Musikraft "Kramer" 5150 build. I used an original vintage (circa 1984-1985) West German Schaller Floyd Rose bridge and nut identical to the unit on the 5150. On this Floyd I used titanium string inserts and a 37 mm titanium "big block" from Adam Reiver at FU.com. I can tell a HUGE difference in feel, tone and sustain from the standard 32mm steel block that came on the Floyd originally, though I can't tell you how much of that is from the inserts or the block! I would recommend titanium or tungsten over brass personally, but you really can't go wrong with any of these three materials in a larger size block than the standard 32 mm.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 11.12.14 at 03:12 PM.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

I'll second what garbeaj said. It's a huge difference. It's not subtle, the guitar will be much louder plugged in and acoustically, it will come alive.

The blocks are drilled to fit exact bridges and you may have a problem with a licensed one.

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I can tell a HUGE difference in feel, tone and sustain from the standard 32mm steel block that came on the Floyd originally, though I can't tell you how much of that is from the inserts or the block!.
    I will say it's the block. I did not notice any difference when I switched to the titanium inserts other than they are tougher. The normal inserts would break on me regularly. I feel it's just easier to pay more once than to keep replacing inserts. Same goes for the stainless steel screws.

I just recently bought a block from this guy on ebay.

hoockey | eBay

I got it pretty fast so I have not tried it out yet but I will let you know when I do. I don't recall anyone ever complaining about a block no matter where they bought it from.

Brass is a good one to try first as it's cheapest and won't disappoint. Titanium is pricey but clear and bright. It really is a matter of your guitar, pickups, amp etc etc. so I would start with a brass block.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have always used Floyd Upgrades---I get the 37mm block and three stainless steel screws.
    They are great and you can't go wrong !!! Look at your block--It should be stamped with what size you need.
    I have never used the actual Floyd Rose replacement block--I figured if the standard block sounds so weak, then so will the replacement---that is why I have always gone to FLoyd Upgrades. I believe they're new site is calles FU-Tone. Check em out
    Last edited by evhintexas; 11.13.14 at 03:31 AM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

KBD3

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I have big brass blocks on most of mine. I also had hoockey on eBay make some for me and had to send them back a few times for proper sizing, as I refused to do any routing on my EBMM EVH, but didn' mind doing some on my Charvel San Dimas. Two of the ones from him are L-shaped, so it's the most brass you can fit and it does make a difference. With my last two builds I just bought the blocks from the guy I got the Floyds from and installed them from the beginning.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:35 PM
    Liked 6,968 Times in 5,004 Posts

Premium Member

I posted a picture on Facebook , on the Sterling by Music Man page , of my three AX40 guitars . I was inquiring about the next color/quilt finish for 2015 . Long story short , the page owner replied about a new trem block replacement and upgrade . I can't recall the name of the material right now , but I'll get back to you ...

Any-hooo , the Floyd Rose Upgrades site has listings for various parts including brass , titanium , tungsten , etc.
    There is also a write up on the different tonal qualities , as well as size specs and costs . Your local Floyd dealer should be able to get any or all of these without any hassle . The actual selling cost will surely depend on the dealer's volume discount % .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:35 PM
    Liked 6,968 Times in 5,004 Posts

Premium Member

^^^ I checked back to that FB page and forgot to post here again ... Oops ! LOL
    The other trem block material is granite . www.stonetoneguitars.com .
    Last edited by RRvh1; 11.29.14 at 10:54 AM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora