Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 463 Times in 220 Posts

Default -1881-

Ok, I wanted to start a separate thread for the VH house so the rising book thread isnt high-jacked anymore. Its obvious that Ed and Al probably aren't sentimental about their childhood home, that's ok, some people just aren't sentimental.. I dont think their home should be a museum, it is a cool idea but the neighbors wouldn't like people coming and going through their street, it would never pass. But that home has a lot historical significance. It isnt just where they grew up but it is where quite possibly the most recognizable and valued guitar in the history of music was created, and also where all the classic VH songs were created.
    For example- if the garage was brought to the RnR HOF and a plaque was displayed describing that Ed made his iconic guitar there along with other countless guitars, with a Fender EVH Franky Replica guitar under it. Would it not be a huge attraction?? I know the likely hood of that happening is remote, but its just a thought how cool it would be. People would freak out that the garage even exist anymore, let alone just rotting away like it is right now. The property should at least have landmark status. Every other major rock stars home probably has historical status . Jagger-Hendrix-Mccartney-Townsend, isnt EDWARD F'NG VAN HALEN on their level??? None of them created an iconic guitar in their childhood homes either!! Like I said before in another post. God forbid someone buys that house and tears down the garage, because it looks like it could fall down any day.

81' Rules

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

I think a more realistic scenario is contacting the Pasadena Historical Society, they might be interested in putting up a plaque on the property or better yet landmark status. I dont think that's too much to ask considering Ed and Al have to be the most famous people to come out of Pasadena ever (with Dave of course).

I emailed the PHS about this and also sent a message to their facebook page. If I dont hear anything soon I will contact them by phone and letter if need be. If anyone else wants to do the same, please have at it. The more VH fans contact them about this, the more likely it could happen.
    81' Rules

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Received some good news from Pasadena Museum of History, its a start.

Pasadena Museum of History

Thank you for your message. I am sending your comments to Pasadena Heritage, which is the preservation and advocacy organization most likely to address this issue. It does seem appropriate - and very worthwhile for tourism - to have a commemorative plaque.

I've contacted Pasadena Heritage , still waiting to hear from them.
    81' Rules

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Awesome....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Maybe stripe the house...LOL
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:49 AM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TORA! View Post
    I think a more realistic scenario is contacting the Pasadena Historical Society, they might be interested in putting up a plaque on the property or better yet landmark status. I dont think that's too much to ask considering Ed and Al have to be the most famous people to come out of Pasadena ever (with Dave of course).

I emailed the PHS about this and also sent a message to their facebook page. If I dont hear anything soon I will contact them by phone and letter if need be. If anyone else wants to do the same, please have at it. The more VH fans contact them about this, the more likely it could happen.
    I think the plaque would be stolen within hours.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:46 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I'm a little doubtful that it would, but you never know... After all, at what point do you draw the line as to what is preserved and what isn't?

I do hope this gets some teeth and turns into something positive though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Yup, I agree: why don't they release those excellent Oakland live shows from 1881, the band was at its PEAK!!!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Default -1881-

I just don't think it's a big deal to most people. Is every home of every famous person a historical dwelling now? Yeah we care that Ed did his guitars there but most people could give a shit. I don't imagine this house will get the historical preservation you guys are hoping for but guess we'll see. I don't even think Ed or Al even care.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:01 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Yup, I agree: why don't they release those excellent Oakland live shows from 1881, the band was at its PEAK!!!
    This question comes up a lot. And I wish it so as well. Sometimes what happens is you tender/contract for a production company to deliver a product, in this case it may be that VH only contracted for the production co to deliver 3 videos while filming the entire show. Depending on the wording of the contract it may be that the bulk of the footage taken that night legally does not belong to VH. Believe it or not it really happens.

Or it may be that what we see from Oakland is for the most part the best stuff and that there were other unforeseen circumstances that resulted in either filming difficulties or audio problems, thus releasing the rest of the footage is impossible.

Just guessing, but we can;t just assume that the band is sitting on this spotless ideal ready-for-consumption footage and purposely not releasing it.
    Last edited by NoBrownM&M's; 11.11.14 at 10:02 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I just don't think it's a big deal to most people. Is every home of every famous person a historical dwelling now? Yeah we care that Ed did his guitars there but most people could give a shit. I don't imagine this house will get the historical preservation you guys are hoping for but guess we'll see. I don't even think Ed or Al even care.
    Can you imagine how much graffitti that neighborhood has endured over the years? Kids spray painting the VH logo all over the place and quotes on walls like "Have you seen juniors grades?" , "Turned from hunted into hunter, gone to hunt somebody down" or "I don't feel tardy!". I bet that shit has been painted all over that neighborhood.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Can you imagine how much graffitti that neighborhood has endured over the years? Kids spray painting the VH logo all over the place and quotes on walls like "Have you seen juniors grades?" , "Turned from hunted into hunter, gone to hunt somebody down" or "I don't feel tardy!". I bet that shit has been painted all over that neighborhood.
    LOL

On a serious note, the average person has no relative clue how important this band is to American music in general. Some argue that Edward is in the top 5 all-time greatest US musicians ever.

Because they were basically regarded as a metal band to the general public, they are completely/critically disregarded and disqualified from any serious discussion, and that is just the reality. The fact is ED is a musician of astronomical talent that goes beyond explanation. He's another Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Prince, Hendrix... BUT, he'll never be seen that way.

ED wrote probably 50% of the 6 pack at that house... he lived there even while in VH up till around 81 I believe.... so I think that house should be recognized by (musical) historians in some way... OR it should not be allowed to be demolished.