Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Which Songs On ADKOT Are Completely New?

We all know that old songs were giving new life on ADKOT, but which songs were completely new both musically and lyrically.

When I say completely new, I mean Eddie and Dave wrote the music and lyrics in 2011/2012. So this wouldn't include past music from Van Halen, Van Hagar or the 10 albums that Eddie supposedly has recorded already - but music and lyrics completely written from scratch during the songwriting sessions for ADKOT.

Thanks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Well, I mean, there evidently really were no dedicated writing sessions. About 8 of the songs are wholly or partially recognizable from the really old days and most of the "new" stuff at least had origins from a while back. People have referred to hearing some of the other songs around 2000 or so and you can hear Eddie playing the As Is riff around 2003.

And here's Dave in 2013:

I would certainly look forward to working with Ed on some new material, but we have yet to do that. Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album. And I would certainly look forward to writing a whole list of songs with Ed, but we haven't found the time to do that [laughs]. You hear the tone. I'm not sure what's in Ed's mind at this point. I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads. But truth be told, Edward and I haven't written a new song in 20 years.

So, basically none.

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Well, I mean, there evidently really were no dedicated writing sessions. About 8 of the songs are wholly or partially recognizable from the really old days and most of the "new" stuff at least had origins from a while back. People have referred to hearing some of the other songs around 2000 or so and you can hear Eddie playing the As Is riff around 2003.

And here's Dave in 2013:

I would certainly look forward to working with Ed on some new material, but we have yet to do that. Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album. And I would certainly look forward to writing a whole list of songs with Ed, but we haven't found the time to do that [laughs]. You hear the tone. I'm not sure what's in Ed's mind at this point. I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads. But truth be told, Edward and I haven't written a new song in 20 years.

So, basically none.
    Thanks for the info about As Is. Someone on another forum thought that As Is and Honeybabysweetiedoll were brand new music written for ADKOT.

I would be curious to see a list of the songs on ADKOT where music came from early Van Halen, Van Hagar or even from VH3. Has anyone made such a list to your knowledge?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 448 Posts

Donor

And here's Dave in 2013:

So, basically none.
    Dave had no business saying "Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album." That was not true at all. He was totally exaggerating, and maybe doesn't even know exactly when some of those songs were written. Basically, he is just complaining that they did not write the album altogether, in one room, at the time that they were putting ADKOT together.

Here's the songs that there is NO evidence of earlier recordings or demos.

You and Your Blues
    China Town
    Honeybabysweetiedoll
    The Trouble With Never
    Stay Frosty

And "As Is" was new-ish. Ed had been developing the riff from that song over the last several years.

And some people call "Tattoo" an old song because of "Down iN Flames," but I disagree. There's a couple similarities to "Down iN Flames," but I would say that tattoo is a new song, overall.

So I would say that it is about 6 1/2 new songs. Half the album.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Thanks for the info about As Is. Someone on another forum thought that As Is and Honeybabysweetiedoll were brand new music written for ADKOT.

I would be curious to see a list of the songs on ADKOT where music came from early Van Halen, Van Hagar or even from VH3. Has anyone made such a list to your knowledge?
    Give me a sec and I'll get you a list.

By the way, I forgot that Dave did correct himself on that quote above, but it's still only one song and he wrote it without Eddie:

"Almost everything on that record [A Different Kind of Truth] is from before we recorded the first album or out or about somewhere in that time frame. Wait, what am I saying? "Stay Frosty" is brand new, and I wrote that whole song myself. I wrote the chord structure, played the guitar, the vocals, etc."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0130212?page=2

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Dave had no business saying "Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album." That was not true at all. He was totally exaggerating, and maybe doesn't even know exactly when some of those songs were written. Basically, he is just complaining that they did not write the album altogether, in one room, at the time that they were putting ADKOT together.

You and Your Blues
    China Town
    Honeybabysweetiedoll
    The Trouble With Never
    Stay Frosty

And "As Is" was new-ish. Ed had been developing the riff from that song over the last several years.

And some people call "Tattoo" an old song because of "Down iN Flames," but I disagree. There's a couple similarities to "Down iN Flames," but I would say that tattoo is a new song, overall.

Jeez Jeff, I respect the hell out of you and I don't want to argue, but I think Dave would know. I'll have to go pull quotes but there are other people to have claimed to have heard some of those songs like China Town around 2000 and the As Is riff was at least 10 years old.

And if you're gonna count Tattoo as a new song then you're being very lenient. Of course it was redone but the orogin of the music IS Down in Flames.

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post

You and Your Blues
    China Town
    Honeybabysweetiedoll
    The Trouble With Never
    Stay Frosty

I have read numerous times that You And Your Blues is Van Hagar music. Don't know if it's true though. It does sound very Balance/Humans Being era-ish.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Here's 9 of them at least that Brett himself listed a while back:

Tattoo - Down In Flames
    She's The Woman - She's The Woman
    Blood & Fire - Ripley (also the outro of the Wild Life movie)
    Bullethead - Bullethead
    As Is - Voodoo Queen (Chorus)
    Honeybabysweetiedoll - part of Act Like It Hurts (from WACF sessions)
    Outta Space - Let's Get Rockin'
    Big River - Big Trouble
    Beats Workin' - Put Out The Lights

Banned!
    Last Online

By the way, I forgot that Dave did correct himself on that quote above, but it's still only one song and he wrote it without Eddie:

"Almost everything on that record [A Different Kind of Truth] is from before we recorded the first album or out or about somewhere in that time frame. Wait, what am I saying? "Stay Frosty" is brand new, and I wrote that whole song myself. I wrote the chord structure, played the guitar, the vocals, etc."

Thanks - a song by song list and where the music came from would be great.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

As much as I'm in Dave's corner when it comes to VH, his perspective might be a little skewed here. He can't point to "Stay Frosty" as an example of the only "brand new" song on the album when it's-- admittedly, by him!-- a virtual remake of "Ice Cream Man." I mean, I love the song, but... c'mon.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Down In Flames sounds pretty identical musically to Tattoo. Vocally melody might be a bit different but it is pretty much the same song.

Stay Frosty is a fun tune but it's just the 2012 version of Ice Cream Man.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

There's an old thread somewhere I wrote a couple years back that had what demos the ADKOT songs are from. I take it you aren't familiar with the VH 1 demos?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Found that thread.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=54151
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 448 Posts

Donor

Jeez Jeff, I respect the hell out of you and I don't want to argue, but I think Dave would know. I'll have to go pull quotes but there are other people to have claimed to have heard some of those songs like China Town around 2000 and the As Is riff was at least 10 years old.

And if you're gonna count Tattoo as a new song then you're being very lenient. Of course it was redone but the orogin of the music IS Down in Flames.
    Okay, we won't argue then. I'll just stand by what I said earlier. Dave was totally exaggerating to make a point. I'm saying that half of the album that I named was definitely not recorded before their first album. (BTW, I'm not saying that ANY of the songs (besides "Stay Frosty") were definitely written in 2009 or later. I'm just saying I would be very surprised if one or more of those 6 newer songs actually dated back to before the first album).

Dave knows that several of the songs were definitely written before the first album came out, and he feels they might as well all have been, because what's the difference if Eddie wrote them in 1985 or 2011, as long as Dave wasn't involved in anything but the vocals?

And yes, at least parts of "As Is" were around 10 years old, or maybe even older. It might be the same case with "China Town." But I see no evidence that any of that song dates back to before the first album.

Dave was just venting that they didn't record the stuff in the present time, all together. (Except that he later admitted they did that with Stay Frosty.)

And as for Tattoo... Yes, elements of Tattoo were from Down in Flames. I'm just saying that overall, IMO, they sound like two different songs. If someone said "Van Halen has recorded Down in Flames for their new album!", and then you listened to "Tattoo," you'd go "huh"? You would say that as a diehard fan, you noticed a couple similarities, but you would not say that it's simply a recording of "Down in Flames," which is what some people are trying to dismiss it as. It's more than a recording of "Down in Flames."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I like the discussion about this, because I find it interesting, but in the grand scheme of things, it never bothered me that they reworked old demos.

...you know, because they are all THEIR OLD DEMOS. It's their music. Who cares how, when, where they wrote it?

ADKOT is all Van Halen music. You can't even say that for Van Halen, Van Halen II, or Diver Down. I'll take all originals any day. ADKOT kicks all kinds of major ass.

They were fresh recordings with fresh playing and fresh vocals that were written by the band (Ed and Dave).

I'm as guilty as anyone, but it feels like we pick apart this band more than any other band on the planet...I know we are fans...

I can't wait for another album with original Van Halen work. I don't care if it was written in 1974, 2004, or 2014...why would that make a difference to anyone? A good song is a good song.

Peace.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon