Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.20.16 @ 05:54 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Default EVH Wolf Standard review

Got my first trans black wolf standard today, came in the EVH box that all the previous wolves arrived in. Top is very nice looking, lots of pretty figured maple, much more than most of the USA tops Ive seen over the years. Frets and neck are way different than any of the other wolfs I own which include two Peavey USA models, EVH Japan special and EVH USA stealth. This neck feels way more like my first EBMM EVH Model I had years ago and fits my small fingers very well. The "girl gone bad-eruption-LWAN" diminished pattern on the B/E strings is much easier on this guitar for some reason. The pickups are NOT the same wolfgang pickups in previous wolfs, they are import versions that sound good, but not as good as the real deals as I A/B-ed this guitar with my special and Stealth for awhile today. These have a little less gain/output and not quite as much bite to them. They actually again remind me of the pickups in the EBMM guitars and are nothing like the ultra-hot molten Peavey wolfgang pickups. This guitar was made in Indonesia and like many others made there from other companies has a really nice finish and overall feel of quality for what it is, which is essentially a cheap(er) great looking and playing guitar with some cool features and a great overall vibe. I'm curious as to how the new specials made in Mexico will feel/sound and will know as soon as the rest of my store's EVH order starts to arrive. Bottom line is this guitar is absolutely worth $500 to $600. If you ever played/owned and liked the Sterling AXIS, which I thought was overpriced for what it was, then you will love this one because its worth every penny Anyone else have one yet? thoughts?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:27 AM
    Liked 2,865 Times in 1,074 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks for the review!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Pics?

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I got to fondle one at the local GC yesterday. Felt like a great bang for the buck. I didn't have time to plug in and play, but I'll probably snag one when they hit the used market.

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.12.15 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I got to fondle one at the local GC yesterday. Felt like a great bang for the buck. I didn't have time to plug in and play, but I'll probably snag one when they hit the used market.
    I tried 2 at the local GC. The Trans Red was set up terribly. The bridge on the high e side was about 1/2 inch higher! It's hard to believe it was shipped that way. The Trans Black looked great but the neck just didn't feel right.

I still love my Pat Pending Peavy Special.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I hate floating bridges with a passion. I just don't get why any EVH guitar shipped with a floating bridge. Ed doesn't use a floating bridge and it's a real PITA to play one if you're used to playing that style with a fixed bridge.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 6,986 Times in 5,019 Posts

Premium Member

I hate floating bridges with a passion. I just don't get why any EVH guitar shipped with a floating bridge. Ed doesn't use a floating bridge and it's a real PITA to play one if you're used to playing that style with a fixed bridge.
    Totally agree !
    A 'dive only' bridge is Ed's go to set up . I'm so used to those kinds of guitars , that a floating trem feels alien to me ... Haha
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Got to try three out at my local GC yesterday, a trans black, trans red, and a solid black.

I'd say that these are incredible bang for the buck. I hate Fender strings (I'm a D'Addario devotee), but outside of that they played extremely well. The necks are a bit thinner than my Peavey Wolfie Special but not uncomfortably so.

I'd say that the solid black one is a great striping candidate.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

I guarantee its a quality control issue. Or possibly misinformed staff at the store. They don't look like a guitar made to have a floating trem. Poor set up factory plus a guy at the store who tunes it to e when it's set up for e flat makes the trem appear it was made to float. Plus you knw Ed wants you to buy a d-tuna to add later. So it would need to be a non floating trem for that. We all know floating trems ain't Ed's thing. Steinbergers don't count.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Remember guys, we're talking about GC here. As a former employee from 2001-2002 BEFORE the Bain Capital days where they burned through all the good employees, even then setups weren't a priority.

I live in NJ. These guitars are shipped from California. They're set up for a warmer climate from the factory. Then you get somebody at GC that knows jack-all about guitars fiddling with things and you find Wolfgangs with trems that are floating all over the place with half a set of 9s and half a set of 10s and an acoustic string in the mix.

Incidentally, the three I played (GC in Totowa, NJ, on route 46) were set up pretty decently. No float to the trems at all. Just one of the trem bars seems like somebody gave it a good yank while not completely screwed in so I couldn't get the bar to tighten up right, but I didn't spend more than 2.8 seconds looking at that particular facet. I'd buy one of these guitars.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I didn't notice these didn't have D-Tunas on them. The reason I like used guitars is 1) the previous owner eats the depreciation, 2) they deal with breaking it in and 3) if they're like me, they give it a serious setup as soon as they get it home from the store. That's how I like my guitars. New out of the box just screams out that I'm gonna spend hours and hours making it right before I get to enjoy it.... except for EBMMs. They always just work perfectly out of the box.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: