Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Did WB Really Consider Sam Prior to the first Van Halen record?

I was rewatching Van Halen Unleashed the other day and was thinking about the story Alex tells about WB considering Sammy to be in the band prior to the first record.

They told the story pretty consistantly the entire time Sammy was in the band and I think Mike still mentions it in interviews (I think he said it in the Eddie Trunk interview a few weeks back but I could be wrong).

so, the question is did this really happen or were they just embelishing things back then?

please don't turn this into a Sam vs Dave debate, just answer the question if you think it actually happened or not.

I don't really know what to think. It's possible IMHO. WB knew Sam from the Montrose days as did Ted and Donn Landee but I wouldn't be shocked if there is no truth to the tale at all.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Who knows? I'm sure it'll be covered in the new VH Rising book due out next year. My only thought is why would WB wanna replace Dave? His voice back then was pretty good. Certainly fit the music. And even back then people will tell you he had great stage presence.
    Only reason I could see WB wanting to force Hagar into this new band would be if they had him under contract and felt it'd be a good way to put the contract to use. But we know he wasn't under contract to WB. So again.... Who knows?
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

Well before VH was famous, they were unknown, it goes without saying. Sammy Hagar was the former singer of Montrose, so in 1977 was a lot more famous than a then-unknown David Roth (as he is credited on the back of VHI). WB was just thinking about the best way to sell more records - best way to make money. In the end they wisely decided to keep D(L)R and not mess with a winning formula.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I wonder if Ted Templeman has ever been asked about this.

Ted worked with Sam on the first 2 montrose records and from what I understand he liked Sam and what he brought to the table.

he might have been thinking that Montrose could have been alot bigger had they lasted a bit longer and maybe he thought Sam was a better fit. I'm totally guessing on that.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 10,856 Times in 5,712 Posts

Premium Member

If this was considered it would have been a dumb move IMO. I do not think that a young EVH would have meshed with Sam. I think that the music that Ed was writing at the time was much more suited for DLR than it would have been for Sam. I also remember Sam's comment about Ronnie not letting him play guitar and that's why he bailed. You really think a 22 year old up and coming EVH would have allowed Sam to touch a guitar? It would've ended the same way as Montrose IMO a couple of albums and "poof!"

Sam came along at the right time where Ed was maturing as a musician and needed a more diverse voice than what Dave was able to offer. It wouldn't have worked the other way around.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    If this was considered it would have been a dumb move IMO. I do not think that a young EVH would have meshed with Sam. I think that the music that Ed was writing at the time was much more suited for DLR than it would have been for Sam. I also remember Sam's comment about Ronnie not letting him play guitar and that's why he bailed. You really think a 22 year old up and coming EVH would have allowed Sam to touch a guitar? It would've ended the same way as Montrose IMO a couple of albums and "poof!"

Sam came along at the right time where Ed was maturing as a musician and needed a more diverse voice than what Dave was able to offer. It wouldn't have worked the other way around.
    Not to mention that the band may have gone in a much heavier direction without Dave and his pop/R&B influence. Would there ever have been a Dance the Night Away for instance? The band may have gone back to what Eddie and Alex were doing prior to Dave.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

I always thought it was something blown out of proportion. Maybe it was mentioned in passing by TT one day, but never all that serious. I can't believe anyone at WB would believe you can just 'install' Sammy. VH got signed because of 4 guys... not in spite of DLR.

It makes for a cool story to tell during an interview though.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 80 Posts

I'm relatively certain this is an absolute truth from WB perspective. Hell, even Templeman admits that his draw to VH was Ed. He didn't become a Dave convert until Dave began singing on the albums. So absolutely I believe it.

Also, and I'm just guessing here, this may have been the genesis of Daves ill will toward Sam (although it would be unfair from Sams perspective at the time)

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I always thought it was a lie. Something about the way Alex says it. Like he's a little uncomfortable with the lie. And we know he's not uncomfortable because he's trashing Dave. He struck me as a bit more angry about Roth leaving and trashed him every chance he got. Even in '88 talking about the Monsters Of Rock tour he gets a dig in at Dave. So I never bought it.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Would not be at all surprised if some suit at WB mentioned it. It would have made sense for somebody to say, "Hey, Sammy was in a band with a monster guitar player and he's looking for work. Why don't we stick him in this new band with a monster guitar player."

I don't think the band probably gave it any consideration though. Would have been a huge mistake. The thing that made Van Halen the show to see when they started was the balance between the over-the-top frontman and the insanely good guitar player. Changing out the frontman with someone else would have alienated the fan base that they had, and probably would have made the band a one and done.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that David Lee Roth wrote the book on being a frontman, but his combination of a hyperactive Jim Dandy cutout, mixed with the gymnastics and charisma re-wrote the book for the majority of the hair metal bands in the 80s to follow.

Van Halen was known for their live performances and antics as much as Eddies musicianship. Without Dave there in the beginning, I don't know if it would have been as big a hit.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I do know that some of the execs did take issue with Dave. I'm glad as hell he wasn't replaced. VH would simply not be what it was without his voice and persona. As another poster said, Sam's timing in joining VH was pretty much perfect. I couldn't see it working in the beginning either. Sam was the right fit at the time he came in in regards to the direction the music was going. It worked.

As far as Sam being suggested early on, as the band has stated.....Dunno....I've never really bought that for some reason. Just never seemed to jive. I always thought it was the a kind of PR inspired "it was fate" type of deal that they spun to the press.
    Could be totally wrong though.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I think it's true. I think VH could have been successful with Sammy early on, but I agree that his entrance came at a more ideal time. I wish Ronnie Montrose would have listened to Sammy about the direction of Montrose, though.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Would not be at all surprised if some suit at WB mentioned it.
    Yeah neither would I. It reminds me of this old quote from Mo Ostin around the time Steve Stevens and Vince Neil worked together.

" To help record the song, Vince put together a solo band, bringing Stevens in to handle shredding duties. The following year, a $4 million deal was closed for Neil at Warner Bros.(at which Warner Bros. CEO Mo Ostin said, "We should take Vince and that other rock kid we've got...David Lee Roth and put them in a band together." His son Michael replied, "But Dad, they're both singers.")"
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah neither would I. It reminds me of this old quote from Mo Ostin around the time Steve Stevens and Vince Neil worked together.

" To help record the song, Vince put together a solo band, bringing Stevens in to handle shredding duties. The following year, a $4 million deal was closed for Neil at Warner Bros.(at which Warner Bros. CEO Mo Ostin said, "We should take Vince and that other rock kid we've got...David Lee Roth and put them in a band together." His son Michael replied, "But Dad, they're both singers.")"
    ha, hilarious.

I worked with those guys at a record label they ran after they left Warner Bros in the late 90's. So I saw Mo Ostin, Lenny Warnoker and Michael Ostin every day for a few years... but never thought to ask them about this Sammy story. Too bad!

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    ha, hilarious.

I worked with those guys at a record label they ran after they left Warner Bros in the late 90's. So I saw Mo Ostin, Lenny Warnoker and Michael Ostin every day for a few years... but never thought to ask them about this Sammy story. Too bad!
    Yeah just goes to show how they think. Whoever they have under contract is just merely a commodity at any given time like athletes on professional sports teams.

As previously stated hopefully this subject is included and put to rest in the Van Halen Rising book.

I think this first came up in '86 from on of Alex's interview comments I don't recall hearing anything about it before then. Of course it then gets retold all over the place. Even mentioned as a fact in David Konow's " Bang Your Head " book although I'm not so sure it is true or not most likely not but who knows for sure. That book also told conflicting stories and quotes from Billy Sheehan about the circumstances surrounding the breakup. Good book but not sure if it's all 100% accurate.

So many unanswered questions.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11.04.14 at 06:29 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011