Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

Default woman receives 100 catcalls just walking around one day

I guess she ain't no hollaback girl cause she wants you to donate to a network that seeks to put an end to.....................well I guess she wants to put an end to guys finding her attractive and commenting on it

I have a solution! turn 45! gain a few peri-menopausal pounds.... you'd be surprised how these things take care of themselves LOL

aside from that one creepster who walked alongside of her for several minutes I don't see a real problem here. at least not something that needs a freaking network and a website.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

That's NYC, right? What does she expect? Reminds me of a King of Queens episode where Kerry was feeling down so Doug paid off some construction workers to give her the business. Really helped her self esteem and Doug got a steak for dinner.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Geese, most people payed her compliments, saying, hey what's up beautiful or have a nice day. Is that code for I wanna fuck you and make you my bitch. As for the creeper walking beside her for 5 minutes, notice nobody said a thing to her during that time period. If anything he helped her to not get "harassed"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

In NYC you pay the price for good looks.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

"Hi Beautiful. Have a nice day." = Verbal Harrassment. ???
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I bet if she walked down a street in Omaha, Nebraska she would just get some "Hello ma'ams."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Pretty soon it's going to be illegal to be a man in the traditional sense.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I think the point of the campaign is pretty valid, actually...It's not so much the one-off, polite greetings that are of concern - but the cumulative effect of comment, after comment, after comment - the vast majority of which are NOT altogether pleasant, warranted, or initiated by the women - or GIRLS - in question.

The point of the video was to raise awareness of how it is seen as culturally acceptable (as evidenced by the posts here) for females to be bombarded by remarks (for which they haven't asked, and which they may find intimidating) at any time of day or night, in any situation or location, and often irrespective of their age or appearance.

Daisy mentions that once a woman reaches 45, she won't be subjected to this sort of harassment (and it IS harassment if it isn't wanted) and maybe that's true - to a certain extent - but it doesn't change the fact that many young women and girls are having to grow up in a world where it's seen as OK for strange men to pass comment on their figure and face, make sexual innuendos or remarks of a more explicit nature, and generally make walking down the street a bit of an ordeal - especially when it may be a relatively empty street, in the evening, and the woman is on her own.

It's simply not good enough to say, "Oh well, men will be men - that's what they're like; toughen up; get used to it". These sorts of social norms need to change so that women and young girls don't feel like they're constantly being 'appraised' and that men, irrespective of context, have the God-given right to verbalise their views about those women - whether they're "beautiful" or not, if they have a "good pair" or not, or whether they look like they're "up for it" or not. Similarly, behaviours need to change - on no level is it acceptable for women to feel uncomfortable, ill-at-ease, or even endangered on their own streets / public transport, whatever. And currently, a great many do feel that way, and far too often.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I actually agree. That's just a bombardment of largely unwelcomed attention. What's surprising to me is that it's so widespread. I mean, has that EVER gotten one of those hundred guys laid? Ever in their life? What is the point? Especially if it is not welcomed.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Great video! If only it were that simple in real life...Put it this way, I'm a fairly outspoken person, but even I was rendered speechless - and not a little shocked - by a not-so-long-ago night out in the pub with two of my girlfriends. We were chatting away together, completely minding our own business, when a bloke (a complete stranger, I hasten to add) rushed up, dropped to his knees in front of me, and LICKED MY LEG!!! I mean, WTF???!!!??? I tried to laugh it off, and I suppose because I was with my friends, I didn't feel overly intimidated - but it was still completely out of order, and had I been on my own I am sure I would have been pretty anxious about it...And this is coming from a woman over 40, so that shows how age isn't a barrier to being harassed, unfortunately...

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

I think we also have to make some distinctions.

First, I don't understand why guys call out compliments to strange women. As alluded to above, has it ever worked? Maybe it has. Maybe it works on some women. Who knows? But I could never do that.

But saying, "I like your dress," or "You look beautiful," in passing is distinctly different than continuing to talk to someone, uninvited, bothering them. Someone complimenting another in a bar is completely different than not leaving another person alone or, as Dibs pointed out, licking someone without invitation or some other physical contact.

Yet somehow we are all okay with celebrities being stalked and people with cameras hanging out at the airport and following celebrities until they get into their cars. I mean, if I were a terrorist, I'd pose as a paparazzi at LAX. I guess celebrities "ask for it," but women don't?

I don't know how to stop this other than parents teaching their kids what is and what is not respectful to other people, not just women.

On the flip side, when it comes to college campus rapes, we're passing laws that make zero sense on data that makes zero sense. The White House says 1 in 5 women in college will be raped, but only 12% get reported. But when you apply those numbers to what colleges report, one or the other can be true, but not both.

In other words, legislation won't change this. Bringing this to light, well, maybe that will work. But it starts at home.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

I'm sure I'll be called a racist by the usual people but I think what the original video proved was as a woman, walk through a minority neighborhood and this is how you will be treated. Like someone else said, walk down the streets of Omaha Nebraska I bet the result would be different.
    There is a reason why women stay away from the Puerto Rican Day parade in NYC.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

We can't ever act like the sexes are the same and can be treated the same way, and it's not just about anatomy.

If a man walks into a room of 500 women and says "I will have sex with anyone in this room!" you know how many people he's sleeping with that night? Zero.

If a woman walks into a room of 500 men and says "I will have sex with anyone in this room!" you know many people she's sleeping with that night? It ain't zero...
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

"There is a reason why women stay away from the Puerto Rican Day parade in NYC".

But they shouldn't have to stay away, surely?

I agree with bsbll4 - a change in attitude is essential, and that starts at home. What we have as of right now is a situation where one person's freedom (to say what he likes to a passing female stranger) is negatively impacting on another's (ie a woman's freedom to go where she wants, at whatever time of day, and feel relatively at-ease).
    Last edited by dibblekins; 11.04.14 at 11:54 AM.

Thatcher, 1980