Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Sinner's Swing! ED-A-HOLIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,936
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

    The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

    12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Likes
    378
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

    Default HOT FOR TEACHER VOTED BEST DRUM INTRO EVER

    Here's the link

    http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...oted-best-ever

    Alex Van Halen drum intro is voted best ever
    Hot For Teacher kick-off leads top 10 ahead of tracks by Rush, GnR, Led Zep and QOTSA
    03/11/2014 ~ by Martin Kielty
    The drum intro to Van Halen classic Hot For Teacher has been voted the best of all time – ahead of work by Rush, Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeppelin and Queens Of The Stone Age.

    The poll was compiled from readers of Rhythm magazine, who gave Dave Grohl three positions in the top 10, and two to John Bonham.

    Rhythm say of Alex Van Halen’s start to 1983 track Hot For Teacher: “It’s arguably one of the most iconic intros in rock, and playing it is a holy grail for a lot of drummers. Alex Van Halen steps out of his guitarist brother Eddie’s shadow to shine with a blistering solo before kicking into a furious double-bass shuffle in a flurry of notes.”

    The rest of the chart includes Judas Priest, Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Iron Maiden.

    Rhythm’s top 10 drum intros
    Van Halen: Hot For Teacher

    Rush: The Spirit Of Radio

    Guns N’ Roses: You Could Be Mine

    Led Zeppelin: Rock And Roll

    Queens Of The Stone Age: A Song For The Dead

    Led Zeppelin: When The Levee Breaks

    Judas Priest: Painkiller

    Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

    Foo Fighters: My Hero

    Iron Maiden: Where Eagles Dare
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

    "Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

    WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,036
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:34 AM
    Likes
    16,671
    Liked 10,832 Times in 5,695 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    Here's the link

    http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...oted-best-ever

    Alex Van Halen drum intro is voted best ever
    Hot For Teacher kick-off leads top 10 ahead of tracks by Rush, GnR, Led Zep and QOTSA
    03/11/2014 ~ by Martin Kielty
    The drum intro to Van Halen classic Hot For Teacher has been voted the best of all time – ahead of work by Rush, Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeppelin and Queens Of The Stone Age.

    The poll was compiled from readers of Rhythm magazine, who gave Dave Grohl three positions in the top 10, and two to John Bonham.

    Rhythm say of Alex Van Halen’s start to 1983 track Hot For Teacher: “It’s arguably one of the most iconic intros in rock, and playing it is a holy grail for a lot of drummers. Alex Van Halen steps out of his guitarist brother Eddie’s shadow to shine with a blistering solo before kicking into a furious double-bass shuffle in a flurry of notes.”

    The rest of the chart includes Judas Priest, Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Iron Maiden.

    Rhythm’s top 10 drum intros
    Van Halen: Hot For Teacher

    Rush: The Spirit Of Radio

    Guns N’ Roses: You Could Be Mine

    Led Zeppelin: Rock And Roll

    Queens Of The Stone Age: A Song For The Dead

    Led Zeppelin: When The Levee Breaks

    Judas Priest: Painkiller

    Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

    Foo Fighters: My Hero

    Iron Maiden: Where Eagles Dare
    Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really?

    I'd take We're Not Gonna Take It over that...

    And no Keith Moon? What kind of bullshit poll is this?

    If Smells Like A Pile of Shit counts as a drum intro, then surely Won't Get Fooled Again would count too.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 11.03.14 at 09:38 AM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  3. #3
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    07.03.14
    Posts
    17
    Last Online

    12.23.15 @ 02:32 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really?

    I'd take We're Not Gonna Take It over that...

    And no Keith Moon? What kind of bullshit poll is this?

    If Smells Like A Pile of Shit counts as a drum intro, then surely Won't Get Fooled Again would count too.
    somebody forgot Les Binks' intro on "Exciter" from Stained Class or did I miss that?..the whole song smokes the others IMO.
    S8S

  4. #4
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    06.02.09
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,749
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Respect my Wind
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Likes
    143
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

    Default

    Eruption not even mentioned?
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

  5. #5
    Banned!
    Join Date
    09.21.13
    Age
    47
    Location
    Space Station 5
    Posts
    1,380
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

    05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Likes
    370
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

    Default

    HFT is my favorite drum intro of all time.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really?

    I'd take We're Not Gonna Take It over that...

    And no Keith Moon? What kind of bullshit poll is this?

    If Smells Like A Pile of Shit counts as a drum intro, then surely Won't Get Fooled Again would count too.
    The creators of these list / polls just fall all over themselves and use any justification to add Nirvana to every fucking list.

    It's laughable.

  7. #7
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,286
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Likes
    10,119
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    Rhythm’s top 10 drum intros
    Van Halen: Hot For Teacher

    Rush: The Spirit Of Radio

    Guns N’ Roses: You Could Be Mine

    Led Zeppelin: Rock And Roll

    Queens Of The Stone Age: A Song For The Dead

    Led Zeppelin: When The Levee Breaks

    Judas Priest: Painkiller

    Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

    Foo Fighters: My Hero

    Iron Maiden: Where Eagles Dare
    I didn't realize it was considered an "intro" when the guitar comes in first. I really like Dave Grohl and all...but Teen Spirit seems like a reach. Great song ....but never even thought about the "drum intro".

    In the spirit of When the Levee Breaks, there are some other simple ones that popped into my head.

    The Stroke-Billy Squier
    My Sharona-The Knack
    We Will Rock You-Queen (yeah...not really "drums")


    And how about Walk This Way, Take the Money and Run, Come Together, Brick House and....Wipeout?

  8. #8
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    03.11.11
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    222
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl gone bad!
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Likes
    128
    Liked 151 Times in 66 Posts

    Default

    Whether the intro with HFT or the outro with GGB Al is the Man! Nirvana has no business on this list! Ticks and Leeches by Tool is very good also. I have always loved Stargazer by Rainbow.. Great song! the sound of how they got that awesome sound on Bonham's drums with the Levee breaks makes the song even better.. I've also liked the stories that go with the recording process

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,036
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:34 AM
    Likes
    16,671
    Liked 10,832 Times in 5,695 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I didn't realize it was considered an "intro" when the guitar comes in first. I really like Dave Grohl and all...but Teen Spirit seems like a reach. Great song ....but never even thought about the "drum intro".

    In the spirit of When the Levee Breaks, there are some other simple ones that popped into my head.

    The Stroke-Billy Squier
    My Sharona-The Knack
    We Will Rock You-Queen (yeah...not really "drums")


    And how about Walk This Way, Take the Money and Run, Come Together, Brick House and....Wipeout?
    That's what I thought - hence if you're going to count songs that have some other instrumentation come in first there's a lot that I think would be better choices than that.

    My Sharona - we used to play that back in the day. I actually think it's a pretty cool tune and the full version guitar solo is fantastic.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,108
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    AFU isn't Al's best work but it sure does get stuck in my head more easily then HFT does.
    It also makes Smells sound like a whistle.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    Most of those aren't even drum intros, as mentioned. The drums have to play first.

    HFT is great but not my fav.

    Some others I like better...

    Honky Tonk Women - Stones
    Rock n Roll - Zepp
    Dreamin' - Blondie
    Ramblin' Gamblin' Man - Seger

  12. #12
    Eruption HippieLettuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.17.01
    Age
    49
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,414
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    11
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    "Dirty Movies" would be my favorite Al intro..
    Ni h-eibhneas gam Chlainn Domhnaill

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,182
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Likes
    1,823
    Liked 1,468 Times in 899 Posts

    Default

    Gotta love HFT!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  14. #14
    5150 theNine5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Age
    55
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    562
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Likes
    164
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Most of those aren't even drum intros, as mentioned. The drums have to play first.

    HFT is great but not my fav.

    Some others I like better...

    Honky Tonk Women - Stones
    Rock n Roll - Zepp
    Dreamin' - Blondie
    Ramblin' Gamblin' Man - Seger
    Great choices!
    Few know Blondie can rock

    Props to our man Rev Al!
    ...but Even a diehard like me would have a hard time pulling HFT lever over Rock & Roll...

  15. #15
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,904
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Likes
    2,480
    Liked 2,646 Times in 1,327 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by single-8 View Post
    somebody forgot Les Binks' intro on "Exciter" from Stained Class or did I miss that?..the whole song smokes the others IMO.
    S8S
    Definitely. Love the one on Starbreaker as well. Judas Priest has many good candidates, which is funny since they've had such a revolving door at drummer for so long. Crap, what about Riding on the Wind? Seriously, listen to that.


    Rush: The Spirit Of Radio

    And as the biggest Rush fan on this forum I just have to say..... uh, what?

    It's an absolute signature guitar intro and it's listed here? Ok.......

    No complaints about their first choice, though.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Dude plays Hot For Teacher drum intro
    By gageroo in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12.20.08, 12:44 PM
  2. Hot For Teacher drum intro
    By gageroo in forum Musicians' Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12.10.08, 02:02 AM
  3. Of Course, The Next Step: Hot For Teacher *DRUM TRACK*
    By chefcraig in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12.08.08, 11:52 AM
  4. The intro in Josephina sounds like the intro in...
    By atomic_punk in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03.21.05, 03:31 AM
  5. best drum intro
    By topik killer in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04.17.01, 09:46 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •