Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 04:36 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Default Why no jam or improvisation?

Not that would ever expect Van Halen to become a "jam band" . . . but why, in the forum's opinion, has VH done so little to let the audience, the night, the "liveness" of an event influence the tunes? I have heard Sammy and DLR both say "you never know what's going to happen", but 99.5% of the time the tunes are the same live. Scripted.

The exceptions I remember are Unchained from this past tour, FWYS where they did a little outro jam, Amsterdam had a little outro jam at the end, etc. But for the most part, they never deviate from the script. Why is that?

I was reminded of how great live music can be (as opposed to playing a tune note-for-note to the record) while watching this clip --

To me, live music (at least rock, I realize it doesn't work in classical, etc.) is most amazing when there's an element of authenticity of playing "in the moment" and not simply regurgitating the same thing 80 times on tour.

What's your opinion on why the band is this way? Scared to walk out on the branch for fear it will break? Lack of musicianship? Don't care to make it unique each night?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Because the point of a Rock show is to entertain. Not bore people to death.

Also, a band like VH is on a tight schedule when they tour. Get in, give the fans a good show, and get out. How many songs would be left out, to a improvised extended jam?

Most fans don't want to hear Greatful Dead style jams from any band imo.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing VH take one of their songs and extend it with a little jam.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 473 Posts

During one song, and one song only, would be good.

If Chickenfoot subscribed that in '09 we could've gotten 5 more songs per set from them...
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I think it had to do with Ed being a control freak. He was afraid of providing a poor quality product. I get what he meant, but I think that with VH that would not be a problem.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Summer nights 5150 tour...solo is insane. Should have been the lead single.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

It's pretty simple. They're not a jam band. And the fans didn't fall in love with a jam band. The first 6 records hardly had any songs over 5 minutes long.
    Like most classic bands, they're their to play the hits. Turning RWTD into a ten minute jam is not what the people want.

Bands like this usually take one song during the show an improv it a bit. Just like how they did with SGMAD last tour.

Really, there's more improvisation than you think. Ed, never plays stuff note for note. Back in the day Ed played the solo's and outro's different. Sometimes better then the studio version.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:03 PM
    Liked 18,085 Times in 8,934 Posts

Critics and historians talk about how Led Zep would play 45 minute versions of "Whole Lotta Love" with great reverence.

That would bore me to tears, and I would be drunk and broke by the end of it based upon how many times I would have gone to the beer stand.

No thanks. Wanna hear extended improvisation pieces? - go see a jazz outfit, not Van Halen. At least in my humble opinion. Them adding "I'm So Glad" or other small snippets in the breakdown of a song is plenty.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 458 Times in 210 Posts

Why-o-why do people think the world revolves around their views? Why in the world do you assume that the best way to deliver a performance is with a 'jam'? Are you an expert for the rest of us as to what makes a winning rock show?

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Truthfully?

Ed doesn't seem to be consistently great at "jamming." I consider him the greatest rock guitarist of all time, but improvisation doesn't appear to be his strong suit.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

The variations of 5150 on the 5150 tour are superb, best captured on Live Without a Net.

The fake "the band is fucking around" during You Really Got Me, leading into Cabo Wabo is forced. I don't care for it.

I have a DVD of them playing in Cabo in like 1991....a lot of improvisational jamming going on...they were pretty hammered...I enjoyed it for 4 seconds, and then I was like, "play something else".

We had a block party a few years ago...the band we got turned every song into a 19-minute jam. Worst. Band. Ever.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.23.15 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Critics and historians talk about how Led Zep would play 45 minute versions of "Whole Lotta Love" with great reverence.

That would bore me to tears, and I would be drunk and broke by the end of it based upon how many times I would have gone to the beer stand.

No thanks. Wanna hear extended improvisation pieces? - go see a jazz outfit, not Van Halen. At least in my humble opinion. Them adding "I'm So Glad" or other small snippets in the breakdown of a song is plenty.
    when zep played WLL they mixed in some of their favorite songs by other artists so it wasnt all one song,kind of a medley, which is cool as they would mix it up a lot.having some fun...plus they were filling a 3 hour show with no opener...45 min versions of moby dick or no quarter is something else..

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I think there's a broad misconception regarding jams and improv in show business. It's really much more of a rarity than most people realize.

A great performance is generally repeated at every show... you are led to believe that night you received something special... Until the advent of the internet and increased mobility in travel... every audience member leaving thinking their experience was unique.

Even bands or performances that are allegedly jams or live improvisation are heavily scripted and practiced prior to hitting the road. They leave a little room in the schedule for "things" to happen.

Some of the more famous unique events more often were just accidents or an artist being heavily intoxicated and leaving the script...

Bottom line... Van Halen members aren't all that smart nor regimented to work without a script and safety nets. There's less to remember and no one gets lost.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.23.15 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    I think there's a broad misconception regarding jams and improv in show business. It's really much more of a rarity than most people realize.

A great performance is generally repeated at every show... you are led to believe that night you received something special... Until the advent of the internet and increased mobility in travel... every audience member leaving thinking their experience was unique.

Even bands or performances that are allegedly jams or live improvisation are heavily scripted and practiced prior to hitting the road. They leave a little room in the schedule for "things" to happen.

Some of the more famous unique events more often were just accidents or an artist being heavily intoxicated and leaving the script...

Bottom line... Van Halen members aren't all that smart nor regimented to work without a script and safety nets. There's less to remember and no one gets lost.
    thats when most of these bands were at their best. snortin whiskey and drinkin cocaine

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I loved the quick jam at the end of Without You that led into the verse from We Can Work It Out and too bad they didn't make that a bit longer.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.