Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Which cabinet load simulator?

Have any of you used one? I am thinking of using one in my next band situation for live use for a few reasons, one is mainly reduce on stage volume (I am using a head phone distributor for in ears), but it also would reduce clutter on stage and stuff to haul.

If any of you have experience with this, what did you like and dislike? Brand recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I use a Behringer Ultra G- it's not a load simulator but you can put it between your amp head and speakers and use it to tap a line level sound off to run into a desk or effects etc.
    So you still get your onstage speaker sound but the line level has the power tube stage included in the sound so can be run anywhere you want. The only thing missing from the line level is the cab sound.
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

I'm using a Jet City Jettenuator between my Bugera 1960 Infinium and my Peavey 412MS. At its lowest settings I can talk over it with every single control on the amp dimed. I wouldn't rest your hand on it while doing so but it doesn't get extremely hot. I don't pull any tubes so it's running at full 100W RMS (obviously more distorted) with a quad of JJ 6CA7s.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Well....Not sure about a "load simulator", I assume you mean an attenuator that has a reactive variable load as a real speaker does under normal conditions.
    In that case, I'd say the Weber stuff is great.
    A lot of guys were using the Hot Plate stuff. I was gonna pull the trigger years ago, but apparently they had issues with blowing up, and taking many an amp with them, so retailers pulled selling them. I don't know if there were any suits involved, as the manufacturer claimed that many of the problems were the result of consumers buying the wrong model for their amp.
    Weber had a few go too, but mainly in the amps rated 120 Watts RMS and up.
    You gotta be careful regardless, but I had good luck with the Weber gear in a couple studios. They don't bleed of the highs much either.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I'm using a Jet City Jettenuator between my Bugera 1960 Infinium and my Peavey 412MS. At its lowest settings I can talk over it with every single control on the amp dimed. I wouldn't rest your hand on it while doing so but it doesn't get extremely hot. I don't pull any tubes so it's running at full 100W RMS (obviously more distorted) with a quad of JJ 6CA7s.

I don't mean to derail this thread, and if so, this comment can just be deleted, but how are you liking your Bugera? I've been looking at those 1960 Infiniums for awhile as an inexpensive alternative to a real Marshall. Can it capture that early EVH sound? And does that master volume in the back work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I don't mean to derail this thread, and if so, this comment can just be deleted, but how are you liking your Bugera? I've been looking at those 1960 Infiniums for awhile as an inexpensive alternative to a real Marshall. Can it capture that early EVH sound? And does that master volume in the back work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been loving it, especially after swapping tubes a bit. Honestly, I don't use any of the features they added from the original Infinium except the Infinium itself. I use the left top input (both channels jumpered in parallel, not cascaded) with the PPIMV and effects loop bypassed. I dime the SOB and let the Jettenuator handle the volume.

I think my biggest roadblock to EVH tone is that my Peavey 412MS came stock with Sheffield 1290 speakers, which are closer to G12-75s than Greenbacks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!