Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Default Girl Gone Bad solo TAB by Allen

I've been working on "Girl Gone Bad" over the last couple of months and I thought I would share my transcription of just the solo which is a combination of the official Cherry Lane TAB book's transcription (which is about 60% correct-they didn't get the fast parts of the solo correct) and the corrected fast parts of the solo that I got with help from a friend of mine. He and I are essentially in agreement with the fingerings for the two long and fast phrases and I have a lot of my own ideas in the mix.

I included standard notation which I almost completely copied from the Cherry Lane book and I tried to make corrections in it to reflect a more accurate note choice. I'm very limited on theory and the standard notation will almost certainly have flaws, but I went ahead and put it in just for giggles. I wish there was a great program that could take TAB from ignorant asses like me and just turn it into perfectly written standard notation, but I realize that there is no way this will ever happen.

I'll make a clip of myself playing the whole song on my Gibson '58 reissue Flying V and possibly doing a complete lesson video on it (which I've never done) when I get an adapter to attach my studio XLR mics to my iPhone. I'm a total newbie at video and I've only done a few clips with me playing to my iPhone's built in mic which sucks.

Anyway, be sure to use your zoom function to get up close to all my tiny notations...I included right hand picking directions and specific fingering directions for the left hand. My handwriting is not so hot, so please let me know if any of you have any trouble reading any of it or if you have any questions about how to play this. Also, this is (as always) how I see it and I welcome anyone else's interpretations. I've learned a lot from others and I have completely changed the way I play things based on someone else bringing to my attention a demonstrably more correct way of playing things. I've been playing this song for over 20 years and I keep learning more from it. This is by no means gospel, this is just how I see it at this point.

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3955/0B96Oe.jpg (Page 1)

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/8443/cOlJUm.jpg (Page 2)
    Last edited by garbeaj; 10.30.14 at 02:51 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

One other thing I forgot to mention...

The guitar is tuned UP + 14.0 cents from standard tuning. You can use your ears to tune to the record, but if you want to be dead on, get a strobe tuner-preferably a Peterson, and adjust the cent reference to +14.0 and tune using the "Sweetened GTR" setting and you'll be perfectly in tune with the record (assuming your guitar is intonated properly).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Wow, this is awesome! I've never been able to figure out those damn fast runs. I've always stumbled my way through it and it's never once sounded good. Thanks for this!

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Thank you! This has been on my bucket list for a while. I have most of it, but need to finally spend the time to learn it right.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:04 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Great stuff as usual , Allen !!!
    Thanks for taking the time to break down the solo and tab it out . Much respect bro !

Looking very forward to your first video lesson . Always cool to see and learn from ya . Happy Halloween weekend . Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Allen -- can you make the images a little smaller so we can see them in the thread?

I'm going to give this a full go my man. Much appreciated!

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller and still be legible on the forum, but you can probably print this out on a printer. I did it on standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper...

The solo is actually fairly easy compared to the monster drum and guitar doubled riff. That took me MONTHS (well really YEARS) to get that right. That part is all about the picking pattern that Ed uses. You can see it in the videos of the ADKOT tour when he played the tune. I didn't get the pattern right until a friend pointed out the pattern which you can actually see in the live bootleg videos. I may post TAB of just that part with the picking directions because that caused me way more of a headache than the solo...

The whole song is one of Ed's best...I've seen one or two people do the song pretty well online, but most have been howlingly wrong! Happy practicing!

Last edited by garbeaj; 10.31.14 at 02:56 PM.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

Awesome!!!

Hey Allen... Anyway you can explain a bit about some of the techniques and methods that you used to figure it out...

Would love to hear about it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Awesome!!!

Hey Allen... Anyway you can explain a bit about some of the techniques and methods that you used to figure it out...

Would love to hear about it!
    I just used the Cherry Lane book to start off and then I used my ears and input from a friend to correct the mistakes in the book.

When I want to figure something out I usually look at any transcriptions that are available and use that as a starting point. I have a friend that uses slow down software and he can often catch things that escape me, so I'll run things by him. We go back and forth until we both agree on how something was played.

It's always good to look at all transcriptions and YouTube videos and even debate and exchange ideas with good players that care as much as you do about getting it right. There is absolutely no shame in NOT figuring out everything by yourself. The point is that you eventually learn how to play a piece correctly (or as correctly as you can) and it doesn't matter HOW you get there, as long as you get there. And then once you think you have it figured out, don't stop learning it...go back and re-examine what you are doing and keep your eyes peeled for another idea or opinion on how to play something. I've been working on the same pieces since I started playing at 8 years old and I'm 42 now. Trust me, I NEVER give up on learning something...I've made huge leaps in the last 6 or so years and I'm playing many things more accurately than ever. But it is a constant and never ending process. And I love it!

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

The guitar is the coolest instrument ever invented
    It is a lifelong endless discovery project!!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH II, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'Em High
    Last Online

02.17.15 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice! Thank you for this!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

This might be helpful...there is no completely isolated track out there, but this is as close as I could find. It helped me to get some of the very fine points of the verses and the fills, though I really got nearly all of the song by just listening to the basic track.

This really lets you hear how important the Harmonizer is to the sound.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 11.04.14 at 09:22 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is a quick one-take "warts and all" run through of the "Girl Gone Bad" solo fingerings I posted above. I used my '58 reissue Gibson Flying V straight into my mid 60s Sears Silvertone 1482 amp completely dry with no effects. My Rockstah Marshall is in the shop and sounds infinitely better for this tune...someday I'll try to make a proper clip with my Rockstah Marshall and an Eventide Harmonizer, but this pretty much gets the point across

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Outstanding job.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Thanks...someday I'll do an outstanding job, but I appreciate the compliment

I'm just starting to get familiar with making video clips using my iPhone and I'm nowhere near as good as Kevin at using Movie Maker. I'm going to get an adapter cable to connect my good XLR mics to the iPhone and hopefully I'll learn how to edit and do all kinds of fancy stuff like him