Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 281 Times in 135 Posts

Default New Hagar interview with Rolling Stone

Aaaaand away we go!!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-fans-20141030

Get yer popcorn ready. Let's see how derailed this thread gets!
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

Great interview!
    Thanks for posting...

Even anti Sam fans can't find fault in this one...

What a killer tour that would be, both Sam & Dave doing a set.. Unfortunately, I agree with Sam.. The band isn't doing anything..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

You know the interview just hammered home to me that this is never going to happen...mike will not be brought back...a tour with Dave & Sammy will never happen...time is running out for these guys I mean Sammy just said his body/voice can't handle that the longer time goes by the more remote this is...

I think the best we can ever hope for is a one time only show with both of them on stage with the brothers and mikey...and even that is highly highly unlikely.

a pessimistically realistic interview in my opinion
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

Thanks for posting the interview.

Dang, gotta get that beer cold somehow.

But, as the Nine said, there isn't anything too harsh in there that we haven't heard before. This will probably still turn into a mid-size slugfest.

Nice things about Mikey, some sad things concerning CF (although I doubt his cost estimate for making a new album), some nice things concerning the Circle (if you dig live albums of stuff we've heard tons of times already), some comments concerning Dave and the usual questions on VH.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icecream-man View Post

a pessimistically realistic interview in my opinion
    That's a good statement to sum up what Sam's saying. We'd all like to hear something else, but he's not passing out promises and creating high hopes.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

This is the same interview every time. It's just a whole series of contradictions. I love these guys...but the love isn't here right now.....and they have shitty work ethic. I'm sorry about the bad blood...but they are dysfunctional....and they aren't fan friendly.

If Sammy really wants to perform again with VH, he's doing it wrong. For starters, he could respond to the inevitable VH questions without rehashing the past....again. The 2004 tour was miserable for you. Eddie was in terrible shape. We get it. You wrote a whole book about it. He should have left it at "that was a lovefest of creativity." But alas he can't help himself. Every interview is an opportunity to put some polish on brand Hagar.

If he loves EVH the way he suggests, he would have at least once in all these years acknowledged that Eddie was battling a disease and show some sign of empathy. Instead, every word he says is an effort to cast himself in the best possible light - "I went out and did my job probably better than anyone else in that band."

Sammy Hagar is in the Sammy Hagar business. Always has been, always will be. And bully for him...it earned him "fuck you" money.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Great interview. Up until VH was mentioned.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    This is the same interview every time. It's just a whole series of contradictions. I love these guys...but the love isn't here right now.....and they have shitty work ethic. I'm sorry about the bad blood...but they are dysfunctional....and they aren't fan friendly.

If Sammy really wants to perform again with VH, he's doing it wrong. For starters, he could respond to the inevitable VH questions without rehashing the past....again. The 2004 tour was miserable for you. Eddie was in terrible shape. We get it. You wrote a whole book about it. He should have left it at "that was a lovefest of creativity." But alas he can't help himself. Every interview is an opportunity to put some polish on brand Hagar.

If he loves EVH the way he suggests, he would have at least once in all these years acknowledged that Eddie was battling a disease and show some sign of empathy. Instead, every word he says is an effort to cast himself in the best possible light - "I went out and did my job probably better than anyone else in that band."

Sammy Hagar is in the Sammy Hagar business. Always has been, always will be. And bully for him...it earned him "fuck you" money.
    Pahleez..

"wrote a whole book about it"..

He wrote ONE chapter about how fucked up Ed was. It is debatable whether to put out the dirty laundry about Ed, but it was a small part of a book that also explained the good times that band had...

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:58 PM
    Liked 1,887 Times in 1,104 Posts

people that don't like Sam or can't stand the fact that Van halen was successful when sam was in the band will rag him for this interview.

people who dig sam and like what he did in VH will say it was cool.

that's how things go.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 4,814 Times in 2,457 Posts

Premium Member

The only exception I had was the comment he said about degrading himself as an artist. I have seen a lot of statements where he kind of stretched the truth.

Don't have an issue with what he said about VH however I will say this. I am quite aware the brothers can do this. He states how he misses Al. Well you know what? Call him up. It sounds like there is no beef with Al and him. Just the fact they are brothers so Al has to pick a side. Well maybe Al can't call you but call Al. He can hang up or whatever but you should try to salvage that.

I can see how reaching out to Eddie would be very difficult but Al seems a bit more normal. Doesn't have to do with anything about the band. Just become friends again.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I see nothing wrong with anything he said at all.

What's more discouraging to me is the whole view of the recording business. I guess most of my favorite older bands are near the end anyway but I hate that it's almost just not even worth making a new record any more.

I don't see any reason to make a new record. Going through the whole experience with a record label, and then going out and doing 150 interviews, a big tour and waking up at 4:00 a.m. to go on Howard Stern all to sell 35,000 CDs…It starts to feel like, "Hmmmm. Is this pay for play?"

I want my favorite bands to make as much music as they can while they can, but the reality is that they all have catalogs big enough to tour on forever so why bother? I hate that it's come to this.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:02 PM
    Liked 2,295 Times in 1,176 Posts

I think Sam is pining for those big Arena shows again...
    He keeps playing up this "reunion narrative" in all his recent interviews

The shows he plays now are all much smaller venues I guess

----
    Also:
    I thought it was funny that he cut up the financial strategy/validity of VH's 2012 tour...

Doesn't he release that the 2012 tour was the 4th biggest money making tour in the entire music industry that year, and that is was also the number ONE hard rock tour that year... he may want to check his facts on that specific topic

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theNine5150 View Post
    Pahleez..

"wrote a whole book about it"..

He wrote ONE chapter about how fucked up Ed was. It is debatable whether to put out the dirty laundry about Ed, but it was a small part of a book that also explained the good times that band had...
    Fair enough. One chapter, but it happens to be the chapter that moved copies. My point stands. If Sammy wants to reunite with VH again, rehashing the 2004 tour (and the past dysfunction in general) isn't helping. Move on.

And for the record, I'd go to a Sammy VH reunion show in a hot minute. That's one of the reasons it's frustrating that he extends an olive branch and lights the bridge on fire in the same sentence.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:02 PM
    Liked 2,295 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    What's more discouraging to me is the whole view of the recording business. I guess most of my favorite older bands are near the end anyway but I hate that it's almost just not even worth making a new record any more.

I don't see any reason to make a new record. Going through the whole experience with a record label, and then going out and doing 150 interviews, a big tour and waking up at 4:00 a.m. to go on Howard Stern all to sell 35,000 CDs…It starts to feel like, "Hmmmm. Is this pay for play?"

I want my favorite bands to make as much music as they can while they can, but the reality is that they all have catalogs big enough to tour on forever so why bother? I hate that it's come to this.
    Yeah, but 97% of the crowd doesn't want to hear ANY of that new music.... there are only so many song slots in a 2 hour show, and there's often 5 hours of great music that everyone already knows and wants to hear...

It's totally different for new bands... they NEED to make records to build a set list of well known/great tracks

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    I think Sam is pining for those big Arena shows again...
    He keeps playing up this "reunion narrative" in all his recent interviews

The shows he plays now are all much smaller venues I guess

----
    Also:
    I thought it was funny that he cut up the financial strategy/validity of VH's 2012 tour...

Doesn't he release that the 2012 tour was the 4th biggest money making tour in the entire music industry that year, and that is was also the number ONE hard rock tour that year... he may want to check his facts on that specific topic
    He was asked this:

Do you see any scenario where you'd play with them again?

And he's asked something similar almost every time. How should he answer that without saying he'd be up for a reunion under the right circumstances? Would it be better if he just answered "No, fuck them"? Then people would say he's pouting because he's jealous Dave's back. He can't win. What he said was perfectly rational.

Also, we don't know what they made, gross is not net. If they made a ton but they're spending a lot more on pay and logistics for all the non-show days that makes a huge difference.