Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default effects into the amp or via effects loop?

I just bought a phase 90, super puss, reverb, flanger, and wah to use with my 5150 oil.

Should I run these straight into the amp, or run them through the effects loop?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

Not sure what a super puss is. But the phase, flange, and wah should be out front. Put the reverb in the effects loop.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Not sure what a super puss is. But the phase, flange, and wah should be out front. Put the reverb in the effects loop.

Thanks Brett!

Super puss is a delay.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

There is really no wrong answer to this question, except you don't want to put a distortion or booster in the loop.

I think Boss recommends putting all time based effects in the loop, and level impacting pedals out front. For example, a phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb or delay should go into the effects loop. An overdrive, wah, compressor, eq, or distortion should go out front.

There are tricks that can be employed where this isn't always true. For instance, in a single channel amp, you may put an eq in the effects loop with the level set higher in order to boost your leads.

Some people prefer the delay, chorus, flanger and phaser out front, and some in the loop. I've always preferred my time based stuff in the loop, but like I said, there's no wrong answer. Experiment and see what you like.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

Default effects into the amp or via effects loop?

Quote Originally Posted by lieu910 View Post
    Thanks Brett!

Super puss is a delay.

I'd put that in the effects loop too.

But that's just my personal opinions. There is no wrong answer.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I'd put that in the effects loop too.

But that's just my personal opinions. There is no wrong answer.
    he is right

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

My $0.02 USD:

For a 5150 or any other type of high-gain amp where the majority of the distortion is coming from the preamp, definitely put time based effects like delay & reverb in the effects loop or else the delay is garbled and too "in your face". Think of it as if you were playing through an extremely clean amp (like a Twin Reverb) and running your guitar into a delay, into a distortion pedal, and then into the input of the amp; the sound would be terrible, right? That's basically the same sound as running a delay into the front of the 5150.

I used to never even consider buying an amp unless it had an effects loop, but then I realized that for most purposes the loop is only necessary for high-gain amps where the preamp does most of the tone shaping. If you're relying on dirt pedals for the higher gain sounds, amps without effects loops work just fine as long as you place the delay/reverbs at the end of the effects chain.

YMMV.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember when my buddy who had manufactured amps (it was a Plexi on steroids) was trying to be convinced by his amp designer/builder to include an effects loop. He still stands by his insistence to not have one; I think that was one of the huge reasons why his amp didn't sell. So many guys who had bought one were what he called "knob twiddlers and pedal weenies" couldn't get the sound they liked from the amp. But my buddy basically had this attitude towards his design: "if you can't get good tone out of this amp, you suck!!!"

But if you heard my buddy play through his amp, you would have "the buys" in the worst way. I still think it needed an effects loop, myself. His amp was one of those high gain in the pre-amp type, and delays sounded like booty...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hey, Sorry to hijack the tread..but I can't new post yet. Please help me out guys, If you go to you tube and type van halen tone..I believe its second one down..This guy gets a killer EVH tone using a clean channel on the amp with a sparkle drive, mxr phase 90, super puss, mxr analog chorus, and hall of fame reverb...I REALLY want this tone, and I figure the whole thing would be around $600 or so with a cheap clean amp. My question is..Can the fairly expensive super puss delay be switched out to a dd-3 or something cheaper? And what do you guys think..for the money should I buy this set-up or would I be foolish to not go get a pod 500 HD or something like it for the money? Keep in mind I really only try to play early VH and I think that tone is sooo close. Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 717 View Post
    Hey, Sorry to hijack the tread..but I can't new post yet. Please help me out guys, If you go to you tube and type van halen tone..I believe its second one down..This guy gets a killer EVH tone using a clean channel on the amp with a sparkle drive, mxr phase 90, super puss, mxr analog chorus, and hall of fame reverb...I REALLY want this tone, and I figure the whole thing would be around $600 or so with a cheap clean amp. My question is..Can the fairly expensive super puss delay be switched out to a dd-3 or something cheaper? And what do you guys think..for the money should I buy this set-up or would I be foolish to not go get a pod 500 HD or something like it for the money? Keep in mind I really only try to play early VH and I think that tone is sooo close. Thanks.
    I've seen that vid you're talking about and that guy does have a great tone. Here's my opinion regarding your question: I 'think' the Supa Puss only adds the tap tempo. You should be able to get the same tones using the Way Huge Aqua Puss as well. It's much cheaper too. I use an MXR Carbon Copy delay, and that would likely work fine for you as well. It's an outstanding analog delay. I also use the Hall of Fame reverb and really like it a lot.

As for your costs vs. pedals vs. POD question: I had used FX processors for a very long time. About two years ago I switched back to all pedals and would NEVER in a million years ever go back to a processor. I love the ability to just swap out a different pedal... Buy-Try-Possibly Sell-Repeat. All just my opinion of course.

Hope this helps!