The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Default Jack Bruce R.I.P.

Legendary CREAM Bassist JACK BRUCE Dies

October 25, 2014

Legendary CREAM bassist/singer Jack Bruce died today of liver disease. He was 71 years old.

His family said in a statement: "It is with great sadness that we, Jack's family, announce the passing of our beloved Jack: husband, father, granddad, and all round legend. The world of music will be a poorer place without him but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts."

Bruce's death was confirmed by his publicist Claire Singers.

She said: "He died today at his home in Suffolk surrounded by his family."

CREAM was formed in 1966, and consisted of Bruce, drummer Ginger Baker, and guitarist/singer Eric Clapton. Their sound was characterized by a hybrid of blues rock, hard rock and burgeoning psychedelic rock, combining imaginative lyrics, often written by poet Pete Brown, Eric Clapton's innovative blues guitar playing, Jack Bruce's operatic voice and fluid bass playing, and Ginger Baker's jazz-influenced drumming.

The group soon evolved further creating a trademark approach built around each musician's virtuoso playing. Their live performances soon became renowned for lengthy improvisational pieces based on traditional blues structures such as "Crossroads" and "Spoonful", modern blues such as "Born Under A Bad Sign", and their own songs such as "White Room" and Ginger Baker's powerhouse showcase "Toad".

Following their first pop hit single "I Feel Free" in January 1967, CREAM's debut, "Fresh Cream", set the tone for group's inventive mix of blues standards and more eccentric original material and reached No. 6 in the UK album charts. It offered a unique blend of blues — Robert Johnson's "Four Until Late" and Skip James' "I'm So Glad" — inventive originals such as "Dreaming" and the showcase, near-instrumental "Cat's Squirrel".

Before the end of the year, CREAM released the follow-up "Disraeli Gears", its distinctive Day-Glo psychedelic cover designed by underground illustrator Martin Sharp. Recorded in May in New York during their first American tour, it includes landmark songs such as "Strange Brew", the melodic but heavy-riffing "Sunshine Of Your Love" and more surrealistic, wah-wah drenched "Tales Of Brave Ulysses"; in all a brilliant, textured, multi-dubbed sound that went beyond blues.

Non-stop touring soon saw CREAM break through in America where "Wheels Of Fire", released in August 1968, topped the U.S. charts for a month and was the world's first platinum-selling double album. It comprised one album "in the studio" — including the Jack Bruce- and Pete Brown-penned classics "White Room" and "Politician" — while the other side was recorded at the Fillmore West in San Francisco, highlighted by expansive readings of "Crossroads" and "Spoonful".

Last edited by bklynboy68; 10.25.14 at 03:09 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Uh oh! Very sad news.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

R.I.P.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Wow...

Rest in peace, Mr. Bruce

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Here are some Tributes to Jack Bruce recently posted around the Net....

Tony Iommi: Very sad to hear of the passing of Jack Bruce, a major influence in music and an amazing bass player and singer. He was a hero to so many other players.

Geezer Butler: So sad. My biggest influence and favourite bass player. Thank you, Jack. RIP.

Geddy Lee: “One of the greatest rock bassists to ever live and a true and profound inspiration to countless musicians. He was one of my first bass heroes and was a major influence on my playing and my music. My heartfelt condolences to his family and fans.”

Glenn Hughes: RIP my beautiful friend – thanks for your amazing art, and being such an inspiration when I started playing bass.

Flea: Oh man. Jack Bruce. Too much. Wow. Holy holy. I love that guy. One of a kind greatness. End of an era.

John Wetton: Especially sad to hear that Jack Bruce has passed away. Top man, still an inspiration.

Billy Sheehan: By far one of my biggest influences and important heroes of my life has passed away. God bless you, Jack.

Ringo Starr: We lost Jack Bruce today – an incredible musician, writer and a good friend. Peace and love to all his family.

Brian May: So sad to hear this great pioneering rock musician is gone. Inspiring to us all. I'll be listening to Badge tonight.

Pete Way: Another sad loss to the the rock world. RIP Jack.

Kim Simmonds: I grew up listening and watching Jack. I listened to him in Blues Incorporated and saw him with Graham Bond. Later, I was the opening act for Cream's first London gig. Then I saw him live during his solo career. I never knew him or spoke to him, but he has been a part of my psyche since day one of my career. As with all of us music lovers, I think something of me has departed along with his passing.

Steve Lukather: I am honoured to have known him. The world lost another legend.

David Ellefson: This is such a tremendous loss. I got to do a rock’n’roll fantasy camp with him in Las Vegas a few years back. What an amazing bassist and legacy.

Dave Mustaine: Truly in the sunshine of your life now. Rest In Peace.

Leslie West: I had the honour of playing with him in West Bruce and Laing. I was hoping somehow that we might have gotten together one last time. Rest in Peace my friend.

Mike Portnoy: I had the honour of jamming with him a few years ago – a memory I will always cherish! One of the legends.

Living Colour: Every guitarist should pick up their guitar and play the opening riff to Sunshine Of Your Love before the sun goes down today.

Bruce Kulick: Jack was a tremendous talent. I jammed with him and met him.

Bernie Torme: For me the best bass player ever, an unbelievably great singer, a great writer, and an all round 100% genius musician. Cream with Jack gave me my ongoing love of the three-piece band format, before I had ever heard of Jimi Hendrix. Jack inspired me through all his changes. The last time I saw him was at a jazz festival in surrey, where he once again blew me away with his playing, singing, and total channelling of the music and the moment. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends. What a loss for us all.

Saxon: RIP to the Legendary Jack Bruce. Our love and thoughts are with his family, friends and fans around the world. You will be greatly missed.

Motorhead: RIP to Jack Bruce. You will be missed.

Wolfgang Van Halen: Very very sad to hear of Jack Bruce’s passing. Amazing musician and inspiration.

Abbey Road Studios: Jack will be fondly remembered by everyone at the studios for his kindness, his wicked sense of humour and his legendary impromptu performance of Sunshine Of Your Love at the Abbey Road staff Christmas party. Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I always thought of him as a jazz style player doing rock and blues much like the OX. I really liked his play. RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

So sad, what a great musician, at least Cream had a chance to get back together a few years back.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

After hearing the news yesterday of Mr. Bruce's passing, my band V-TWIN threw out an amped up version of "Sunshine" at a benefit show today.

...rest well, Jack Bruce. As always, untimely as it is, you've earned it.

Thank you.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

If anyone has the time and has not seen it, there is a good documentary out about Ginger Baker, his time in Cream, etc. It gives a good perspective to the relationship between Bruce and Baker and why those two were so good together

RIP Jack

It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Although he was widely known for his bass play, I was a fan of his just as much for his powerful voice. A couple of my faves:

"We decided to do everything you'd expect, but make it high speed, low drag."
    -- DLR (8-13-07)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

"We decided to do everything you'd expect, but make it high speed, low drag."
    -- DLR (8-13-07)