Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default Red

Good Evening. I know this is a new / old thread per say, but I just purchased RED. I had a layover in the airport yesterday and decided to take the plunge.. Note, I've always been a Classic VH fan and a very mild Van Hagar Fan. Hence, I might be jaded. Truth be told, I flipped right to the sections about VH, starting with 5150. This was a fun, easy read for awhile. Then, as van hagar progressed, it was clear that things got UGLY quicker than any fan knew, until this book came out. Ed & Al had some serious challenges with sobriety and mental stability etc. Betsy Hagar had her challenges as well. Very scary stuff on a personal level.. Sammy is clearly an accomplished business man & rocker etc. He is clearly able to sustain himself over the long haul. All that said, I can't help but walk away thinking…. something is off with this book. I'll admit, I have not read the whole thing, but I feel the whole thing is just too much of a self serving dish. I guess that is the nature of auto-biographies and celebrity. Somehow, I feel disappointed by the whole thing. I want to like Sammy for all his efforts and success, but then I just "don't" like him all that much. The ragging on Roth was gratuitous and a total low self-esteem self serving shit show. Roth might be difficult & nutty, but he has never really known Hagar or vice/versa. They did a summer tour etc and they didn't like each other. Big deal. In truth, Sammy thinks of Roth as a washed up loser that HE "pulled from the gutter" for the Sam & Dave Tour. He referred to his ex-wife Betsy as an "Invalid Child". Kudos to Roth for negotiating a 50-50 split (whether he deserved it or not.) Sammy seems to forget that Roth was HUGELY successful with VH prior to Sammy's arrival & VH was the BIGGEST Band in the World prior to his arrival. I guess it's all part of the human ego / experience. Dave Roth is a talented guy. "He can't sing, he has no range etc"….. I'm so sick of that horse shit. Dave is a huge part of why vh is in the RRHOF. He is an original member. That shit needs to end. Dave is always gonna be Dave, end of story. Don't get me wrong, it's Sammy's book and his platform. He has the right to voice his own opinions etc. But at what point does he look in the mirror and take a piece of the accountability? He rags the shit of Eddie ( rightfully so) , YET, keeps talking about a reunion and recapturing the magic…… I don't know….. great read so far, but hey Sam, if the VH's & Roth's of the World are so flipping crazy, why do you appear to be so obsessed with them??? BTW, I love VH . The whole ' we sold more albums while I was in vh than Dave" reeks of low self esteem and second wife syndrome. again, from a guy who is worth over 100 million dollars. I don't hate Sammy, I just want him to get over vh / dave or just be a bit more honest about his true feelings. He's hurt & jealous on some level. How fucking hard is it to say??? Life goes on SAmmy And You have a great life with or without vh. Ok, carry on
    Last edited by cav; 10.22.14 at 05:20 PM.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Sammy never struck me as a low self-esteem guy. Then again, he didn't come from the easier side of the tracks, as did Dave. He's had to work harder and smarter for his success than the average bear. If you skipped over the early chapters then you missed the best part of his story. You're also reading the VH years out of the context of Sammy's whole life.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Sammy never struck me as a low self-esteem guy. Then again, he didn't come from the easier side of the tracks, as did Dave. He's had to work harder and smarter for his success than the average bear. If you skipped over the early chapters then you missed the best part of his story. You're also reading the VH years out of the context of Sammy's whole life.
    I'm not so sure Dave's early years were the easier side of the tracks. You may want to read his bio. I don't begrudge Sammy his hard work and success. We all have a cross to bear in life. It simply feels to me that Sammy is NOT over it (VH / Roth.) His own stated hatred of Dave is misplaced in my opinion. When you put another person down in almost every interview you do, it says something to me. Anyways, it's just a book. Have a nice day.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

DLR's mansion that he lives in? He bought it from his dad. VH practiced in that basement when they were coming up through the bar bands.

Yeah, I know, he lived on a farm in Indiana for a little while. But c'mon, his dad seemed to be a great guy, and was on lifestyles of the rich and famous, I don't DLR had it too hard.

He seemed to have a stable family, was middle class in his early life, then his dad's career took off and he was uber upper class from there on out. Sam had it much tougher growing up.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Dave's "earlier times" were middle class instead of rich.

But Sam grew up extremely poor in Fontana, maybe the worst city in all of California. His family had to pick fruits on trees to eat, that's how poor they were. His dad wasn't a med student like Roth's, his dad was a drunk homeless guy sleeping on benches!

I do not think Sam's book is self serving - quite the opposite: staying true to his aim of "telling it like it is," Sam paints a brutally honest picture of himself. People always say "warts and all," but Sammy didn't just say it, he meant it. This book does NOT paint a great picture of Sam. It tells about great accomplishments, but also pretty bad stuff. Sam didn't hide huge flaws. In comparison, DLR's book is much more self-serving as Dave didn't really admit to any personal failures. Sam admitted tons. That's why you walk out of the book admiring him, but in no way thinking he's a saint. He's done tons of bad stuff.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Dave's "earlier times" were middle class instead of rich.

But Sam grew up extremely poor in Fontana, maybe the worst city in all of California. His family had to pick fruits on trees to eat, that's how poor they were. His dad wasn't a med student like Roth's, his dad was a drunk homeless guy sleeping on benches!

I do not think Sam's book is self serving - quite the opposite: staying true to his aim of "telling it like it is," Sam paints a brutally honest picture of himself. People always say "warts and all," but Sammy didn't just say it, he meant it. This book does NOT paint a great picture of Sam. It tells about great accomplishments, but also pretty bad stuff. Sam didn't hide huge flaws. In comparison, DLR's book is much more self-serving as Dave didn't really admit to any personal failures. Sam admitted tons. That's why you walk out of the book admiring him, but in no way thinking he's a saint. He's done tons of bad stuff.
    I respect Sam's accomplishments. I think it's amazing what he has accomplished. Good for him. I also don't think Dave had such an easy go. His parents were not loaded in the early days. They were struggling for something better and they went out and educated themselves and earned it. That's just as legit as Sammy's efforts. Dave certainly didn't rest on his parents achievements, he went out and broke all the rules and went to the top of the mountain in a rock n roll band. I just don't like his (Sammys)(in my opinion) self righteous take on most of his relationships. He views the Van Halen Bros as poison, yet he continues to go back for more. He knew 2004 was a disaster from day one and yet he signed on anyways. Then throws everyone under the bus in his book. Just not my style. I was raised to keep family business in house. I'll bet you a box of donuts that Sammy would be interested if Ed & Dave called him tomorrow. That's my take. No big deal. It was a good read. I wish I had a ferrari etc
    Last edited by cav; 10.23.14 at 04:44 PM.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    DLR's mansion that he lives in? He bought it from his dad. VH practiced in that basement when they were coming up through the bar bands.

Yeah, I know, he lived on a farm in Indiana for a little while. But c'mon, his dad seemed to be a great guy, and was on lifestyles of the rich and famous, I don't DLR had it too hard.

He seemed to have a stable family, was middle class in his early life, then his dad's career took off and he was uber upper class from there on out. Sam had it much tougher growing up.
    Hi Dave - My only thing with Dave's family is that the Roth Family were NOT rich to start. They went out and earned it. Dave reflects on those days with great reverence. He's a smart , talented cat and he should not be diminished for that. He's no trust fund kid. DLR went out and made Rock n Roll history. No amount of $$ in the world can make that happen. i respect Sammy's talent, work ethic and his kick ass voice. I don't' respect his "Hate" of DLR. It's lame. This is not a Dave vs. Sammy thing. It' s simply one aspect of Sammy that really turned me off. There are things about all the VH members that seem to be head scratchers. Except for Mike

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

My head scratcher is why is this even a thread instead of in the Sam book sticky at the top of the page?
    His music career faded faster than an eight ball in front of Lindsay Lohan. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I think you cannot compare Dave and Sam's childhoods. I know people who had to struggle a bit to get through college. But I've never heard anybody with a childhood like Sammy's. Sam should NOT have made it. Most people growing up in the same circumstances as Sammy end up in bad places. The cards were stacked against him in a big way.

Dave didn't follow in his parents' footsteps directly. But his uncle was in show biz, his dad's house was big enough to house the rehearsals of VH. Van Halen did benefit from the Roth family's wealth in the early seventies. So it DID play a part in Dave and the band's success.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I think you cannot compare Dave and Sam's childhoods. I know people who had to struggle a bit to get through college. But I've never heard anybody with a childhood like Sammy's. Sam should NOT have made it. Most people growing up in the same circumstances as Sammy end up in bad places. The cards were stacked against him in a big way.

Dave didn't follow in his parents' footsteps directly. But his uncle was in show biz, his dad's house was big enough to house the rehearsals of VH. Van Halen did benefit from the Roth family's wealth in the early seventies. So it DID play a part in Dave and the band's success.
    I truly don't get what their childhoods have to do with any of this.
    Sam & Dave's accomplishments as men are just that. All this other stuff is just white noise.

Sam & Dave are Rock Stars. That's what makes them cool. For folks who doubted Dave's return to the top ……… oh well

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I guess if your predisposed to not like Sammy or if you have never heard him talk then you might walk away from the book thinking he's a dick. I can see that but if you're familiar with him and have an idea of who he is and what his general outlook on life is you would come off with a different perspective.

I don't like everything in the book, I wish some of the stuff he would have kept under his hat but it is what it is. he takes his shots at people and he takes shots at himself. he's brutally honest in most regards and tends to be hard on himself in most circumstances. he knows Betsy had problems, he delt with them for years and finally enough was enough and he mentally checked out with her. was it right? probably not but he says he was a dick and he acted shitty towards her in alot of ways. What more do you want? Either you write a book and tell the stories or you don't. You can't whtie wash everything.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Of all the things with Sam, there is one thing that has always bothered me, and I know it is minor, and some will think it's ridiculous.

But the fact that he wouldn't give Betsy back her mother's silver always struck me as a real dick move. Hopefully somewhere along the line he realized it and gave it back to her.

There is only one reason to do that, and it's spite, and he has too much going right in his life to be like that.

I know, I haven't walked in his shoes, and maybe it is justified, but it has always just screamed to me "wow, that is really dickish."

Now, when is The Circle going to cut a new album? Because I really don't care that he might be a dick, because the fucker can wail on the mic!

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:57 PM
    Liked 7,875 Times in 4,602 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Now, when is The Circle going to cut a new album? Because I really don't care that he might be a dick, because the fucker can wail on the mic!
    I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Legendary rocker Sammy Hagar says that he is having such a great time performing with THE CIRCLE, a combo consisting of Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham and Vic Johnson, that he doesn't "even see a reason to make a record" with the group.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I honestly just don't think he has any interest in heading into a recording studio and having to write new songs. I just don't gather that he gets any enjoyment from it.

He owns his own studio (and is a gazillionaire to boot), so cost or availability are obviously not a problem for him.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I'm not saying this to rag on sam so don't take it that way but he changes his mind on this stuff about a million times over the corse of a few months. I wouldn't be shocked if they recorded something tomorrow and I wouldn't be shocked if they never did.

with this (as apposed to CF) it would be Sam writing songs uless Jason writes songs, there's nothing new and exciting for sam if he's doing all the heavy lifting.