Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH Wolfgang WG Standard

I recently saw that EVH has released the "Wolfgang Standard" series, which I'm very excited about. However, I have a few questions that I'm hoping somebody here can help me out with...

My favorite guitar in my collection is my Tobacco Sunburst Peavey Wolfgang Special. Everything about it is perfect to me. Stop Tailpiece, single volume knob, great tuning stability, etc. This new Wolfgang WG-T Standard looks like the closest thing to getting a new version of that guitar. However, does anybody know where this guitar is made? (I'm assuming not the USA like my old Peavey Special). If it is made in Korea or China, I would be very hesitant to purchase it. My first Wolfgang was one of the old EXP models, and it was great for a while, until the cheap Korean hardware failed on me. Are the USA Wolfgang pickups still in this guitar?

Last Online

08.14.16 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 174 Times in 83 Posts

Default EVH Wolfgang WG Standard

The new EVH Standards are made in Indonesia. Look in the recent pages of the EVH Gear thread where a few of us were discussing the pickups across the different EVH models.

Last Online

10.24.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 379 Times in 187 Posts

Hi Cam.

The guitar is made in Indonesia. It seems that there is some evidence that the pickups in the new Specials and Standards are not the USA made Wolfgang Pickups. I was always under the impression that the Flat-top Specials pickups were the USA ones, but now I question it. I just don't want to take the time to remove my pickups just to find out. It really doesn't matter that much to me, since I like the tone I'm getting out of my Special.

I haven't had my hands on a Standard yet, so I can't give you an educated assessment of whether or not they are worth getting.

Based on your question, I'll bring you up to speed on some of the information we have discussed on other threads.

What we know for sure is that the new Specials and Standards do not come with a case.
    -They do not have the Stainless Steel frets, but they are jumbo frets, and not the vintage size that is on the previous Specials and USA models.
    -The Specials are Made in Mexico, and the Standards are made in Indonesia.
    -The new Special comes with the EVH Floyd Rose, which is actually a Floyd Rose 1000. It is an Asian Floyd Rose made to the same specifications as an Original Floyd Rose.
    -The new Standard comes with a Floyd Rose Special, which is an Asian copy of an Floyd Rose, and uses Zinc Alloy saddles and sustain block.
    -The Standard is a straight maple neck and fretboard, while the new Special is a quartersawn maple neck with a birdseye maple fretboard.

Now, here is what we have speculated based on some pretty good evidence:
    -The "Thin Skin" paint job that the USA and previous Specials were finished in is suspected to be gone, as well as the unpainted cavities to let the wood "breathe" on the new Standards and Specials.
    -The Wolfgang Pickups are believed to be Chinese copies of the original Wolfgang humbuckers.

All that being said, I would say that if you get your hands on one, and you like the way it plays, sounds and feels, I wouldn't let any of the above facts stop me from getting it. As long as you know what you are getting, no biggie. Once you are informed of all of the facts, you may decide that you would rather spend $550 on a used Peavey Wolfgang Special, or even a 1st Gen EVH Wolfgang Special. I know places are blowing them out cheap now, and you could get a used one at a good price.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.