Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts

Default Do any of you fellow VH fans know any film producers by chance?

I apologize if this is over-stepping boundaries, but I figured it was worth a shot since this is the only type of social media I have ever been involved with (plus there are probably a decent amount of Californians on here).

I've written several comedy feature-length screenplays that I am marketing which all incorporate Van Halen to some extent. Obviously all of my soundtrack wish lists (yeah, I know it's jumping the gun and far-fetched) contain Van Halen, Chickenfoot, Dave solo, Sammy solo, Extreme, etc., but also some of the story elements as well. For example, in my action/comedy, the hero's quirk is that he is an avid Halen fan (think Fletch with the Lakers), and the inciting incident of the story that propels it forward is when he takes a bullet tailgating at one of their concerts, rendering him comatose. In case it matters, I thought I'd bring this up since it is a Van Halen site.

The comedy style is--well, I'm a big fan of the Chevy Chase smart-ass-style: Fletch, Caddyshack, Vacation...Bill Murray in Stripes comes to mind as well. RDJ in Iron Man in the more contemporary sense. That, mixed with the more contemporary gross-out movies like The Hangover and Van Wilder.

Had some luck before optioning a script and am currently working some other producers, but if anyone knows anyone I could network with (producers, agents, managers--anybody really), I would be beyond grateful and try to make it worth your while.

Thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 10.15.14 at 07:53 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Unfortunately, the film industry here died with the provincial tax credit.

Produce it yourself...good luck getting the VH tunes...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I know this guy Dirty Randy.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Dirty Randy sounds a lot like the first producer I encountered and almost worked with...
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I know this guy Dirty Randy.

that made me LOL..........my mind immediately went to Judah Friedlander looking guy with an ill fitting stained t-shirt and trucker hat sitting in a basement room full of old vhs editing equipment bought from a college surplus sale

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    that made me LOL..........my mind immediately went to Judah Friedlander looking guy with an ill fitting stained t-shirt and trucker hat sitting in a basement room full of old vhs editing equipment bought from a college surplus sale
    Oh, you mean Ron Jeremy!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 18,172 Times in 8,981 Posts

I'll be producing a movie on my webcam this evening with my beautiful wife...does that count?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Honestly, I'd just start sending in scripts. A lot of people get started just sending in spec scripts for current shows or film franchises.

Ivan Reitman was recently on Adam Carolla's show, and he said the script he received for Draft Day was just sent in. The guys who wrote it got their start sending in spec scripts, writing plays, and sending them to people.

I say just start doing it.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    I apologize if this is over-stepping boundaries, but I figured it was worth a shot since this is the only type of social media I have ever been involved with (plus there are probably a decent amount of Californians on here).

I've written several comedy feature-length screenplays that I am marketing which all incorporate Van Halen to some extent. Obviously all of my soundtrack wish lists (yeah, I know it's jumping the gun and far-fetched) contain Van Halen, Chickenfoot, Dave solo, Sammy solo, Extreme, etc., but also some of the story elements as well. For example, in my action/comedy, the hero's quirk is that he is an avid Halen fan (think Fletch with the Lakers), and the inciting incident of the story that propels it forward is when he takes a bullet tailgating at one of their concerts, rendering him comatose. In case it matters, I thought I'd bring this up since it is a Van Halen site.

The comedy style is--well, I'm a big fan of the Chevy Chase smart-ass-style: Fletch, Caddyshack, Vacation...Bill Murray in Stripes comes to mind as well. RDJ in Iron Man in the more contemporary sense. That, mixed with the more contemporary gross-out movies like The Hangover and Van Wilder.

Had some luck before optioning a script and am currently working some other producers, but if anyone knows anyone I could network with (producers, agents, managers--anybody really), I would be beyond grateful and try to make it worth your while.

Thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks in advance.
    First things first: do you have an agent? If not, that's where your efforts should be concentrated. Getting an agent is tough, but it's the key step in this process. Your agent is the one who'll make the introductions to the producers and execs who are hiring writers.

It's worth bearing in mind that selling a spec script, let alone getting one into production, is very, very rare. It does actually happen, but in much the same way that people do actually win the lottery or get struck by lightning. Almost all paid screenwriting is work for hire; a producer will have an existing property, or a broad idea they want to explore, and will invite writers in to pitch for it. In most cases, there will be multiple drafts by multiple writers, who may or may not get credit, depending on how much they contributed or what terms they agreed. This is especially true for comedy. That's why it's still so important for working screenwriters to be located in LA, so that they can be there in person to pitch to producers.

Spec scripts are useful for getting attention - an agent will call them "sample scripts" - so they are by no means a waste of time. You could try joining the Blacklist website - www.blcklst.com - as I believe real producers seeking talent do browse there.

Another very useful resource is the Scriptnotes podcast by John August and Craig Mazin. They're both working screenwriters, and they discuss a lot of real world practical business stuff, as well as the creative side. Although screenwriting is a sideline for me, there has been more than one occasion where what they've discussed has really helped me work through a problem.

Also, read William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade, and the follow up, Which Lie Did I Tell?

Here's a harsh reality: I know several novelists who moved into publishing from the screen trade. In all cases, they had been working for years - more than a decade in one case - in Hollywood and never had a single project make it into production. Ultimately, despite making good livings, they found it so soul-crushing that they had to leave.

My own experience? I'm in entirely the wrong location to make my living screenwriting, and my experience of the business has been so discouraging that I have no desire to delve into it further. Having said that, I've had two shorts made, worked on several in-development projects, and I'm currently deep into developing one of my novels for TV.

A final note: BEWARE OF BULLSHITTERS! The film business is rife with them, and I've had countless hours wasted by producers or directors who were full of promises that came to nothing. My hard and fast rule now is that I don't write a single word without a contract and payment.

Let me emphasise that: Not. One. Word.

There are hundreds of wannabe producers who will ask you to write a treatment because they know a guy who knows a guy who has money and connections and blah-blah-blah. Con artists and bullshitters, all of them. Don't write a word for anyone unless you're getting paid.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy reply, I hope it's of some use.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wrote a script once. They asked me to re-write it. I said F that, I'll just make a copy!-Mitch Hedburg.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Honestly, I'd just start sending in scripts. A lot of people get started just sending in spec scripts for current shows or film franchises.

Ivan Reitman was recently on Adam Carolla's show, and he said the script he received for Draft Day was just sent in. The guys who wrote it got their start sending in spec scripts, writing plays, and sending them to people.

I say just start doing it.
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Cold-calling though.

Will keep at it.

The Reitman story definitely keeps hope alive--thanks!
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    First things first: do you have an agent? If not, that's where your efforts should be concentrated. Getting an agent is tough, but it's the key step in this process. Your agent is the one who'll make the introductions to the producers and execs who are hiring writers.

It's worth bearing in mind that selling a spec script, let alone getting one into production, is very, very rare. It does actually happen, but in much the same way that people do actually win the lottery or get struck by lightning. Almost all paid screenwriting is work for hire; a producer will have an existing property, or a broad idea they want to explore, and will invite writers in to pitch for it. In most cases, there will be multiple drafts by multiple writers, who may or may not get credit, depending on how much they contributed or what terms they agreed. This is especially true for comedy. That's why it's still so important for working screenwriters to be located in LA, so that they can be there in person to pitch to producers.

Spec scripts are useful for getting attention - an agent will call them "sample scripts" - so they are by no means a waste of time. You could try joining the Blacklist website - www.blcklst.com - as I believe real producers seeking talent do browse there.

Another very useful resource is the Scriptnotes podcast by John August and Craig Mazin. They're both working screenwriters, and they discuss a lot of real world practical business stuff, as well as the creative side. Although screenwriting is a sideline for me, there has been more than one occasion where what they've discussed has really helped me work through a problem.

Also, read William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade, and the follow up, Which Lie Did I Tell?

Here's a harsh reality: I know several novelists who moved into publishing from the screen trade. In all cases, they had been working for years - more than a decade in one case - in Hollywood and never had a single project make it into production. Ultimately, despite making good livings, they found it so soul-crushing that they had to leave.

My own experience? I'm in entirely the wrong location to make my living screenwriting, and my experience of the business has been so discouraging that I have no desire to delve into it further. Having said that, I've had two shorts made, worked on several in-development projects, and I'm currently deep into developing one of my novels for TV.

A final note: BEWARE OF BULLSHITTERS! The film business is rife with them, and I've had countless hours wasted by producers or directors who were full of promises that came to nothing. My hard and fast rule now is that I don't write a single word without a contract and payment.

Let me emphasise that: Not. One. Word.

There are hundreds of wannabe producers who will ask you to write a treatment because they know a guy who knows a guy who has money and connections and blah-blah-blah. Con artists and bullshitters, all of them. Don't write a word for anyone unless you're getting paid.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy reply, I hope it's of some use.
    Thank you very much for taking the time, man. I appreciate it.

I was actually planning on taking a break from reaching out to producers and start hitting up agents and managers. It's easier in a sense that you can just contact "any" agent from a list or lists, as opposed to producers where you gotta research to find ones who made movies similar to what you're pitching (for the most part).

I've been writing and hustling for about 5 years and always kinda figured it's like trying to make it to the NFL, but will keep on trying my best. I'm in Pittsburgh so it's definitely tough. We're a burgeoning city when it comes to film and all, but the people to hit up are mostly of course in Hollywood.

Will definitely check out the Scriptnotes podscast and Goldman's books, thanks. And will definitely heed your warnings. Were you talking about shady wannabe producers wasting your time/getting your hopes up, or saying they were gonna pay you but ultimately didn't, or stealing your work/parts of your work?

And best of luck with the TV show!
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 10.18.14 at 09:33 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Were you talking about shady wannabe producers wasting your time/getting your hopes up, or saying they were gonna pay you but ultimately didn't, or stealing your work/parts of your work?

And best of luck with the TV show!
    Primarily people with "contacts" who - as my agent put it - blow sunshine up your ass, are full of big promises, but they can't back it up in reality. These are the guys who'll ask you to write treatments for free because they have an in with a studio exec. They're the guys to give a wide berth. Again, don't write a word without contract and payment.

As for stealing ideas? That's not something to worry about. Remember, you can't copyright an idea, only the execution of an idea. There's nothing in the world to stop me writing a novel about a boy who discovers he's a wizard and goes off to wizard school to learn the craft. But if I call the boy Larry Topper, and the school Warthog's, then I might be in trouble. Or think of an original premise, like an alien comes to earth and takes up residence in an ordinary home - am I talking about ET, Starman or Mork & Mindy? So don't worry about ideas; the world is full of ideas, but well-executed ideas are much rarer, and that's what they need writers for.

And thanks re the TV show; we've progressed well so far. We've got funding from a broadcaster and the local film board, with a commission for the first two episodes. We'll see how it goes from here.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Charvel very interesting take on the soul crushing nature of the screenwriting trade

there is a novelist I love (Sue Grafton) who writes a hugely successful series of mystery novels featuring a female private eye

the books are terrific summer reading popcorn type things and I always wondered why they were not optioned as films or a tv series. There are quiet a few actresses who would fit wonderfully as the main character

then I found out that there is a lot of interest in optioning the books but the author REFUSES to let her books be optioned. Reason? She started out as a novelist and had one of her novels turned into a terrible movie (awesome cast tho). After 15 year stint as a screenwriter in Hollywood the hellish process of it all drove her away from Hollywood to be a novelist again...all of which explains why her novels are such fast reads and would lend themselves so well to screen treatments.

she just doesn't want to have anything to do with Hollywood and has even made her children agree to never sell the rights to her books!

I understand that every year the producers vote on the best screenplays of the year that didn't get made..the black list you referred to....which is crazy when you consider the raft of crap that did get made

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    Primarily people with "contacts" who - as my agent put it - blow sunshine up your ass, are full of big promises, but they can't back it up in reality. These are the guys who'll ask you to write treatments for free because they have an in with a studio exec. They're the guys to give a wide berth. Again, don't write a word without contract and payment.

As for stealing ideas? That's not something to worry about. Remember, you can't copyright an idea, only the execution of an idea. There's nothing in the world to stop me writing a novel about a boy who discovers he's a wizard and goes off to wizard school to learn the craft. But if I call the boy Larry Topper, and the school Warthog's, then I might be in trouble. Or think of an original premise, like an alien comes to earth and takes up residence in an ordinary home - am I talking about ET, Starman or Mork & Mindy? So don't worry about ideas; the world is full of ideas, but well-executed ideas are much rarer, and that's what they need writers for.

And thanks re the TV show; we've progressed well so far. We've got funding from a broadcaster and the local film board, with a commission for the first two episodes. We'll see how it goes from here.
    Yeah I'm aware of the stealing of ideas vs. it's how it's executed reality. Even if it were as big of an issue as some fear, the only way to make it happen is to send it out there to strangers anyways!

That's awesome with the TV show situation. If you don't mind my asking, is it comedy?
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats: