Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default Downey:"No Iron Man 4 Without Gibson"/Does Gibson Deserve 2nd Chance?

ROBERT Downey Jr has said that he is open to doing another Iron Man movie but only if his friend Mel Gibson directs.

Oct. 4, 2014

The actor, who is a long-time friend of the disgraced Australian, told Deadline that if Gibson was allowed to helm the fourth instalment of the franchise, “that movie would be bananas.”

Gibson was black-listed in Hollywood after a foul-mouthed tirade against Jews when he was arrested for drunk driving in 2006. Downey, on the other hand, is riding high in the movie industry and is thought to be the world’s highest paid actor.

In the interview he said Gibson should be given a second chance and is a reformed character. “He has changed so much,” Downey, who recently turned 50, told Deadline. “Nobody should make a case for somebody who just wants forgiveness but hasn’t changed, but he’s a fundamentally different guy. I think it was just the very worst aspects of somebody’s psyche being treated as though they were the blanket statement about a person.”

The US actor also paid tribute to Gibson’s fathering skills.
    He said: “I always say too that if you want to judge a man or a woman then look at their kids. He has the healthiest, happiest, most productive kids you could ever meet or know.”

http://deadline.com/2014/10/robert-d...gibson-845359/

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1227080296179
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 10.05.14 at 10:31 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

If there's anyone who knows about doing a 180° turnaround, it's Robert Downey Jr...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

It's funny... Some people bash the shit out of Mel and say he shouldn't be making movies, but they have no problem watching Roman Polanski's movies.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Im fine without Iron Man 4. Thanks. Actually could have lived without IM3

Dont think ive ever seen a polanski film, another one who I can and have lived without. add woody allen to the list.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    If there's anyone who knows about doing a 180° turnaround, it's Robert Downey Jr...
    Yeah, and it was Gibson who saved his career.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Yeah, and it was Gibson who saved his career.
    I forgot about that tidbit... Thanks for bringing that up...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

The way I see it...Back in 2006 people were enraged with Gibson. And rightfully so, he said some terrible things.

But one thing that always threw me is people werent outraged about the fact that the guy got absolutely obliterated and got behind the wheel of his car. He could have killed somebody. Not only were people not outraged...they didnt even bring the arrest up. Had he not mentioned Jews to the cop, it would have been backpage news and it would have been forgotten.

He didn't hurt anybody. He didn't injure any innocent people. He made some disgusting remarks about Jewish people to a COP while blasted.

The guy deserves to be taken off the blackball list. He has some anger issues and probably some less than popular thoughts on things, but I take RDJ's word that he's changed. He's a troubled soul. Most actors with that "edge" are.

I like the Roman Polanski point. People bash Mel cause he dissed Jews(and if I was Jewis Id probably have been upset TO A POINT as well) yet they'll watch Woody Allen movies or they'll watch a sports league that supports domestic abusive pieces of shits.

Ive said hurtful things when Ive been drunk. Never bigoted things, but things where if I was sober, I would have never said or meant.

It happens. The guy has "hugged the cactus" long enough, to quote RDJ.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

excellent points............

so is Mel's exile about Hollywood being concerned that he is a damaged commodity that they don't want to gamble on? they've gambled on worse, as you point out

or is it less about concern over the public accepting Mel than it is about bad blood with the Hollywood decision makers themselves

.I think Hollywood being all about the image, is willing to forgive just about anything said or done behind closed doors, but when it is a public falling down like this, it's different

look at how badly a shop lifting charge derailed the career of Winnona Rider...she was absolutely at the peak of her career and took a huge dive,becoming nearly unemployable

and Downey would have been in the same boat except for Mel personally insuring him when no insurance company would give a completion bond on the guy

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    It's funny... Some people bash the shit out of Mel and say he shouldn't be making movies, but they have no problem watching Roman Polanski's movies.
    This has been a few years, but I remember Stuttering John doing his celebrity interviews for the Howard Stern show and he asked something along the lines of "would you ever work with convicted rapist". Of course all the answers were no and then a few questions later he asked "Would you ever work with Roman Polanski?" I remember the answers being "Yes".
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fletch5150 View Post
    This has been a few years, but I remember Stuttering John doing his celebrity interviews for the Howard Stern show and he asked something along the lines of "would you ever work with convicted rapist". Of course all the answers were no and then a few questions later he asked "Would you ever work with Roman Polanski?" I remember the answers being "Yes".
    Polanski isn't just a rapist. He's a child rapist. Disgusting creep.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I love Iron Man and I like Robert Downey Jr. too. But if that anti-Semite fuck face Gibson is involved in the next movie I will sadly not spend one dime to see it. I will never support that asshole again.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

This blacklist, is purely because Mel is a conservative Catholic. Liberals can forgive every transgression under the sun, including Jewish slurs, if one is a LIBERAL.

His history proves that he has the talent to make millions for a lot of people, either on screen or in the directors seat.

There is no legitimate reason for him to not be let back into the fold, considering the depravity in Hollywood.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 1,605 Times in 742 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    or listening to Michael Jackson....
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

What "blacklist"? He's done movies since his meltdown. He was in Expendables 3, what was a big money franchise and people didn't go see it. Was it because of Mel? Who knows, there's all kinds of excuses for that bomb but:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...xpendables.htm

Expendables Gross: $103,068,524
    E2 Gross: $85,028,192
    E3 gross: $39,014,875

He's so arrogant he thought he could just throw out the insincere fake apology and everyone is supposed to just forgive him and hand over their movie ticket dollar. nope Fuck off Mel All he had to do was be a little humble but no, he couldn't even do that.

He's responsible for the position he's in now, he can stop blaming Hollywood for this so called blacklist. People don't want to pay to see him, movie makers don't want to risk their project by putting a shitbag like Gibson in it regardless of his "talent"

I'd rather see an unknown talent get a shot than enable a drunk driving racist woman hater

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    What "blacklist"? He's done movies since his meltdown. He was in Expendables 3, what was a big money franchise and people didn't go see it. Was it because of Mel? Who knows, there's all kinds of excuses for that bomb but:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...xpendables.htm

Expendables Gross: $103,068,524
    E2 Gross: $85,028,192
    E3 gross: $39,014,875

He's so arrogant he thought he could just throw out the insincere fake apology and everyone is supposed to just forgive him and hand over their movie ticket dollar. nope Fuck off Mel All he had to do was be a little humble but no, he couldn't even do that.

He's responsible for the position he's in now, he can stop blaming Hollywood for this so called blacklist. People don't want to pay to see him, movie makers don't want to risk their project by putting a shitbag like Gibson in it regardless of his "talent"

I'd rather see an unknown talent get a shot than enable a drunk driving racist woman hater
    E3 was a great movie. It deserved better box office - however I subscribe to the notion that 2 things negatively impacted the results:
    1) Full movie was 'leaked' early on the web (in full HD) and had +2M downloads.
    2) Mel Gibson.

It is surprising to me that he's been on the blacklist for so long...there is a fairly long list of Hollywood stars that have said terrible things -and have survived (Charlie Sheen be a notable one recently - which was also fueled by addiction). Someone above said Hollywood hasn't forgiven him b/c he's not liberal (I thought he was?!) - so there is a lot supporting this idea.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.