Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,563
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default American Sniper (2014) trailer

    Everyone wants to love Clint Eastwood's movies. But after winning Best Director and Best Picture for 2004's "Million Dollar Baby," the actor-turned-director's self-seriousness has left his recent output feeling a little… dry. Sounding great on paper, "Flags of Our Fathers" "Invictus," "J. Edgar" didn't have the cinematic brawn to muscle Eastwood into the award season (though, it should be noted, that his riveting, un-Hollywood war movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" nabbed a Best Picture nomination). Will "American Sniper" be the one voters and critical voices finally get behind?

    Star Bradley Cooper hopes so. A passion project for the actor, Cooper dedicated himself to obtaining and developing the life story of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle's story, one of the deadliest snipers in modern history. Originally set up as directing vehicle for Steven Spielberg, Eastwood boarded the project in Aug. 2013. Now we have the first look at the film and it's an immediate change of pace from Eastwood's recent lethargy. Juxtaposing a sniping operation with Kyle's life back home, the first look may require antiarrhythmic meds, for those with easily manipulated heart rates.

    Jason Dean Hall (2013's "Paranoia") adapted "American Sniper" from Kyle's autobiography of the same name. In the book, the sailor details his time in the service, including 4 tours as a Navy SEAL in the latest Iraq war. His record shows 160 confirmed (out of 255 claimed) kills during his time as a sniper.

    Also Read: Best Picture Oscar Contenders 2015

    Cooper told USA Today that he only had one opportunity to speak to Kyle, a brief phone conversation where the actor promised to do everything he could to tell this story faithfully, before the Navy SEAL was murdered by a troubled Marine veteran while practicing at a Texas shooting range. The shocking turn of events added pressurized the already delicate adaptation. "I had to do right by him and his family, there was really no choice," Cooper told the paper. "You're sitting across the dining-room table talking to this person's father and mother. And his children and wife are there. And he's passed away. Knowing that they are putting all of their stories in your hands and the responsibly of that, it's actually unique."

    As evidenced in the trailer, Cooper's doing his part to realistically portray the fallen soldier. According to the same interview, the actor put on 40 pounds and trained with the same Navy SEALs who worked with Kyle, including Kevin "Dauber" Lacz, Kyle's sniper partner during his last two tours (he also served as a technical adviser and portrays himself in the movie).

    https://tv.yahoo.com/news/clint-east...235700951.html


    The writer of the article does not seem to be a big Clint fan.

    I said it before... I didn't like Cooper at first, but he is coming into his own now.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 10.02.14 at 09:28 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    I'm in.

    I think I would have preferred Spielberg directing this, however.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,563
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I'm in.

    I think I would have preferred Spielberg directing this, however.
    It would have been really sappy if he had done it...

    Then again, Clint lost his balls as a movie maker years ago also.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    It would have been really sappy if he had done it...

    Then again, Clint lost his balls as a movie maker years ago also.
    Man, you really are pessimistic.

    Anyway, I disagree (surprise, surprise) that this film would be "really sappy" if Spielberg directed it. Saving Private Ryan wasn't sappy. Munich wasn't sappy. Schindler's List wasn't sappy.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,660
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Looks good to me.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,563
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Man, you really are pessimistic.

    Anyway, I disagree (surprise, surprise) that this film would be "really sappy" if Spielberg directed it. Saving Private Ryan wasn't sappy. Munich wasn't sappy. Schindler's List wasn't sappy.
    Two of those three movies were basically made 20+ years ago. Even then... Saving Private Ryan starts out great, but the rest of the film is less impressive and it is a bit Schmaltzy also.

    Spielberg has nothing left to offer as a storyteller. War Horse is the perfect example.

    Clint went from making Unforgiven, Dirty Harry and High Plains Drifter to making The Jersey Boys, Trouble with the Curve, J. Edgar and A Star Is Born.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 10.03.14 at 12:13 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,563
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Don't get me wrong, SS rarely makes a really bad movie... But I think he has become very erratic, and you can't really expect anything original, gritty or edgy out of him now.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Two of those three movies were basically made 20+ years ago. Even then... Saving Private Ryan starts out great, but the rest of the film is less impressive and it is a bit Schmaltzy also.
    It doesn't matter when those movies were made. I was just pointing out that not all of his films are fluff pieces like E.T.
    So you're saying that most of Saving Private Ryan is "schmaltzy"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Spielberg has nothing left to offer as a storyteller. War Horse is the perfect example.
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. He rarely writes, so his storytelling is basically which scripts he chooses to direct. War Horse was a children's book, so naturally it was light on the violence and war themes. I thought it was excellent filmmaking, or , dare I say, excellent storytelling--given the material he chose to direct.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,563
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    It doesn't matter when those movies were made. I was just pointing out that not all of his films are fluff pieces like E.T.
    So you're saying that most of Saving Private Ryan is "schmaltzy"?
    Yes, it does matter because he is past his prime. SPR is somewhat schmaltzy and fluffy. It's his style.



    That's a ridiculous thing to say. He rarely writes, so his storytelling is basically which scripts he chooses to direct. War Horse was a children's book, so naturally it was light on the violence and war themes. I thought it was excellent filmmaking, or , dare I say, excellent storytelling--given the material he chose to direct.
    I understand your points, and I'm not making myself clear.

    I don't think is film choices and style are very interesting today. The most I expect from a Spielberg movie these days is a decent movie. We have seen it from him before.

    It's hard to have faith in guys like Steven and Clint at this point because it's been a decade since either has made something memorable. Something like War Horse is just what you would expect from Steven Spielberg. It's not really fresh or interesting now.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  10. #10
    Super Duper Frontman track 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.00
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    7,887
    Last Online

    12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    1,311
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts


    Premium Member
    Quin-a-se-i-co

    You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

    "You stupid fuck!" Seen

    "Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    12,982
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Likes
    2,608
    Liked 4,809 Times in 2,455 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I have a friend who is a Marine sniper did a tour, etc. I remember when he was training they asked him point blank "can you kill women and children?" So this trailer made me remember.

    Regarding Speilberg, yes he can do amazing things with his movies. Even in his most graphic movies, there is this element of a Hollywood ending. Good triumphs which may not be the case here. Clint does a better job IMO juggling the demons of people anyway.

    Regardless looks good. It's kind of weird how actors end up where they are at. Bradley Cooper was in comedies and now is nailing dramatic parts.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,563
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I'm hearing that Steven declined to do the movie because of budget issues.

    Clint Eastwood typically works with small budgets... The chances of Steven doing that are slim. Both Duel and Jaws are really good movies that didn't need big budgets.... But I guess Spielberg just has to have a big budget now.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Clint Eastwood typically works with small budgets... The chances of Steven doing that are slim. Both Duel and Jaws are really good movies that didn't need big budgets.... But I guess Spielberg just has to have a big budget now.
    Duel and Jaws didn't have big budgets because the director (Spielberg) was an unknown at the time.
    Spielberg gets big budgets now because he's Steven friggin' Spielberg! In case you weren't aware, he's the most successful director of all time.


    He's actually currently filming a spy movie starring Tom Hanks, written by the Coen Bros. I hope it's not too schmaltzy.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Yes, it does matter because he is past his prime. SPR is somewhat schmaltzy and fluffy. It's his style.
    SPR is schmaltzy and fluffy?? Yeah, I remember leaving the theater with my heart all a flutter as I blushed with emotion.

    Past his prime? That's not fair cuz his prime lasted about 30 years!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    SPR is schmaltzy and fluffy?? Yeah, I remember leaving the theater with my heart all a flutter as I blushed with emotion.

    Past his prime? That's not fair cuz his prime lasted about 30 years!
    Ya I know what you mean....


    That scene when the soldier had the knife slowly put into his heart had my Shmaltz meter going off the charts.


    I had to reach for a tub of of Haagen-Daz and Kneenex after that.

    And dont even mention the shot where the guy's intestines were in his lap....Total fluff.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Inherent Vice (2014) trailer
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.30.14, 05:28 AM
  2. Dr. Ruth served as a sniper in Israel...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03.23.07, 07:08 PM
  3. Video: Mercenary Sniper in Iraq
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.26.05, 08:55 PM
  4. Looks like they got the DC sniper.
    By Dimoncutr in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10.23.02, 03:46 PM
  5. Son of Sam writes to the DC sniper
    By Red-Diamond in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10.23.02, 03:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •