Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:26 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default NFL reveals true colors in Pinktober

I thought I had read somewhere last month that the Komen Foundation was pulling out of its partnership with the National Football League. But I noticed that the pink is out during tonight's game. So in my search to find out why I thought the partnership was kaput, I ran across this column from the Orlando Sentinel. The writer makes several good points: the league's hypocrisy with regard to domestic violence, the paltry percentage from the sale of pink NFL merch that goes to cancer research, and the punishment of players who choose to use their positions to give awareness to other worthwhile causes, just not sanctioned by the NFL.

And I feel like a hypocrite because here I sit watching the damn game.

NFL reveals true colors in Pinktober

October will not be a good month for Roger Goodell, the emperor with no clothes.

He may want to borrow something pink to wear, since the NFL is smitten with "Pinktober" and raising breast-cancer awareness. And that's a great thing. Draping the NFL in pink for October — in everything from jerseys to receiver gloves to mouth guards — is the league's way of joining forces with the Susan G. Komen Foundation in fighting this insidious disease.

Certainly breast-cancer awareness is important, and a lot of good has been done, but more women are affected by rape than cancer. We have a long way to go.
    - Carol Wick, CEO of Harbor House of Central Florida, a domestic-violence shelter
    But yet another color will come into play this month, as NFL teams peddle official merchandise, including breast-cancer-awareness women's hoodies ($64.95) and baseball caps ($29.95).

Meet Purple.

The color associated with Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Oh, sweet irony, isn't it, Roger?

A league that has been tone-deaf when it comes to domestic violence — and has the poster boys to prove it — has 30 more days to step gingerly across its fields of hypocrisy.

"Certainly breast-cancer awareness is important, and a lot of good has been done, but more women are affected by rape than cancer," said Carol Wick, CEO of Harbor House of Central Florida, a domestic-violence shelter. "We have a long way to go."

The game remains extremely popular despite a Confederacy of Dunces who are in charge. As TV ratings soar, so does the outrage that the league has been reactionary — always a step behind — in its handling of domestic-violence cases such as those involving Ray Rice, or the child-abuse charges levied against Adrian Peterson.

One misstep has followed another, including the botched decision to penalize Kansas City Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah for kneeling in prayer after a touchdown last Monday night.

What's next for Goodell and his Goonies? Coming down hard on puppies and babies with unauthorized field access?

The good news — to put a positive spin on this — is that the NFL's buffoonery is giving us daily talking points about important things. Domestic violence. Child abuse. Respecting the religious beliefs of others.

And that's wonderful news for Wick, who has seen donations spike in direct correlation with media coverage.

"I don't begrudge the pink warriors at all," Wick said. "… but if we could do the same thing, could you imagine?"

Mark your calendars for Oct. 21-23, when Central Florida will "paint the town purple" to raise awareness for domestic violence. The tower outside the Amway Center will be purple. So will Florida Hospital. People will be asked to wear purple.

And while we're draped in purple, please don't forget an Alzheimer's disease fundraising and awareness walk at Lake Eola on Oct. 18, when a lot purple warriors — including me — will take a stand against a disease that affects over 5 million Americans and took my mom's life in 2009.

The NFL has gotten a free pass for years on its sweet pink marketing marriage that is etched in green, even though the cut isn't so great for the folks fighting cancer. Business Insider reported last year that only 8.01 percent of the money spent on pink NFL merchandise is directed toward cancer research.

But even if you are good with that, it's difficult to reconcile the fact that the NFL is dismissive of other diseases that are just as insidious as breast cancer.

The league fined Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall $10,500 for wearing green shoes — honoring Mental Health Awareness Week — during a "Thursday Night Football" game last season. Marshall, a former UCF football star who was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in 2011, was simply trying to use the game as his platform.

And in 2012, Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne violated the league's uniform policy because he wore orange gloves and an orange mouthpiece — the color that signifies awareness for leukemia — in support of his coach, Chuck Pagano.

You'd hope that a business that prints money on a daily basis would ease up on its anal-retentive ways when it comes to deciding whether to support — or disrespect — worthwhile causes.

Domestic abuse certainly isn't just an NFL problem — that's a societal conundrum — but the league seems to be inadvertently raising awareness for another serious condition:

The heartbreak of becoming colorblind.

gdiaz@tribune.com Read George Diaz's blog at OrlandoSentinel.com/enfuego

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...01-column.html

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Like I have said many times for years. I love the sport of football but hate the NFL. Surprises me not in the least that the proceeds from Pink NFL merchandise go mostly to the NFL not breast cancer research. Plus the league is tax exempt! That in itself needs to change today to 100% to cancer research.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

This'll be the pinkest one yet!!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Like I have said many times for years. I love the sport of football but hate the NFL. Surprises me not in the least that the proceeds from Pink NFL merchandise go mostly to the NFL not breast cancer research. Plus the league is tax exempt! That in itself needs to change today to 100% to cancer research.
    That's not really accurate, and is a common miss-conception about the NFL and trade associations and non-profits as a whole.

There are a plethora of entities that comprise the NFL. The trade association portion of it is tax exempt, but the licensing and entertainment companies that comprise the NFL are not.

Also, most people make the assumption that tax exempt means tax free. That is incorrect. Tax exempt means that revenue generated from your core non-profit mission is exempt, but everything else is not.

Therefore, the various dues paid by the teams to the NFL for the running of the league is tax exempt, but licensing, clothing and equipment sales, TV rights, radio rights, etc. are taxed just like everybody else.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Why don't they wear a color for head trauma, which the NFL seems to have ignored for decades? Or maybe they could wear a color for heart disease, which kills far more women than breast cancer?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.