Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Default UN Health Group Plotting Massive Global Tax on Tobacco, Without U.S. Input

Oct. 1, 2014

The World Health Organization will meet behind closed doors in Russia later this month to vote on a proposal that would encourage most of world’s countries to impose a huge tax on tobacco, one that would double or even triple the price of cigarettes and threaten real injury to U.S. tobacco growers in Kentucky and North Carolina.

The move will be made without any U.S. government observers, as they are expected to boycott the meeting in protest of Russia’s annexation of Crimea, according close observers of the process. And the proposal is expected to pass without any public record of how each country voted.

While the vote will take place in secrecy, the resulting tax hike will likely lead to noticeable damage to U.S. tobacco companies and tobacco growers. The U.S. is one of the world’s largest tobacco producers, and companies from around the world source tobacco from the United States.

Without any U.S. input, the livelihoods of U.S. workers will be threatened by a global tax that at least one prominent economist says will shut down sales of U.S. cigarettes and likely lead to underground, illegal trade in these products.

The WHO, which is the arm of the United Nations that deals with health issues, will meet in Moscow the week of October 13 for the sixth meeting of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. The meeting will consider the adoption of a new article to that convention, which deals with “tobacco control.”

The group counts 179 countries as members, and an agreement to impose the new tax would mean higher excise taxes on cigarettes in most of the world’s countries. However, the U.S. is among the group of countries that has not ratified the convention, along with others such as Argentina and Switzerland.

According to a draft of the article, the group sees a tax hike on tobacco as a change that would create a disincentive to smoke, and raise revenue for governments at the same time.

“Effective taxes on tobacco products that lead to higher real consumer prices (inflation-adjusted) are desirable because they lower consumption and prevalence, and thereby in turn reduce mortality and morbidity and improve the health of the population,” according to the draft.

“Effective tobacco taxes contribute significantly to state budgets,” it reads. “Increasing tobacco taxes generally further increases government revenues, as the increase in tax normally outweighs the decline in consumption of tobacco products.”

But while the group proudly makes these claims, it buries the actual recommended tax level in a footnote to a paragraph dealing with what tax rates should apply.

That paragraph says sovereign countries have the right to determine their own tax levels, and that there is “no single optimal level of tobacco taxes” that applies to all. Only in the footnote to that paragraph on page 12 does the group make clear its recommendation by citing a WHO technical manual:

“(Recommends that tobacco excise taxes account for at least 70 percent of the retail prices for tobacco products,)” it reads.

According to a new book by economist Arthur Laffer, making sure that excise taxes account for 70 percent of the retail price of a pack of cigarettes would dramatically raise prices around the world. In India, for example, prices would rise from $2.42 to $9.88 a pack, a 309 percent increase.

Other countries that would see price hikes above 100 percent include Indonesia, Ukraine, China, Peru and Colombia. Laffer says these tax hikes would not automatically increase government revenues, and instead would shut down trade in legitimate products.

“By simulating the impact of a global minimum excise incidence of 70 percent, it becomes even more clear that this WHO recommendation is far from best practice,” Laffer wrote in his book, Handbook of Tobacco Taxation: Theory and Practice. [I]“t would lead to draconian and arbitrary tax increases in almost every country, and at the same time more than triple tax and price differences between countries, providing further incentives for illicit trade.”

Laffer stressed in his book that he is “hostile” toward cigarettes, but said his disapproval of the product doesn’t mean countries should pursue irrational tax policies that drive people to illegal trade.

“In other words, you don’t want to tax cigarettes to the point that consumers are no longer purchasing cigarettes from tobacco companies and instead are smuggling, dealing in illicit trade, etc,” he wrote.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:34 PM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

sounds like this just impacts countries that the US doesn't have free trade deals with. Sounds more like a recommendation that can be negotiated away with countries individually as is normally done with international trade.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Business, tariffs, taxes, jobs etc. aside, I am all for ending the world's dependence tobacco as much as I am for oil... the stuff just sucks.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,088 Times in 8,937 Posts

The UN is an absolute toothless tiger without US support.

If we don't back it, won't happen. Don't really care either way, more important things to worry about.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

If the UN passes something the US doesn't like, we can simply say "make me."

That will be the end of the conversation.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Yeah...That's what I love about the United Nations - they're just so...United...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Business, tariffs, taxes, jobs etc. aside, I am all for ending the world's dependence tobacco as much as I am for oil... the stuff just sucks.
    They'll never ban it - it's too lucrative.

I don't give a sh*t what some people say about tobacco costing the health service tons of cash - the fact is that taxes paid on the production, manufacture, and retailing of cigarettes is waaay beyond the (admittedly costly) treatments provided for smoking-related healthcare.

First of all, you've got the business / corporation taxes paid by tobacco companies, then you've got the income taxes paid by their employees. In terms of smokers themselves - in the UK, the average pack of 20 now costs approximately £10 ($18), the bulk of that being tax, and smokers die younger, requiring less by way of benefits and pensions for the elderly.

Tobacco isn't going ANYWHERE - more's the pity...Of course, government will pay lip-service to its being a detestable habit - putting a relatively small amount into services designed to help us quit, putting hideous pictures and warnings on the packets, hiding them behind screens in the shops, putting the price up year-on-year - but the truth is that they don't WANT to ban them for the reasons listed above.

The hypocrisy is astounding, and makes me want to spit - not least because I know that banning them would force me to stop - and I WANT TO STOP!!! I enjoy my pitiful three fags a day - but I wouldn't break the law to obtain them - not least because I'm a lazy old bag, and it would require a lot more effort than just nipping to the corner shop.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Everyone should just smoke weed....especially the government....then everyone will be too high to care......
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    They'll never ban it - it's too lucrative.

I don't give a sh*t what some people say about tobacco costing the health service tons of cash - the fact is that taxes paid on the production, manufacture, and retailing of cigarettes is waaay beyond the (admittedly costly) treatments provided for smoking-related healthcare.

First of all, you've got the business / corporation taxes paid by tobacco companies, then you've got the income taxes paid by their employees. In terms of smokers themselves - in the UK, the average pack of 20 now costs approximately £10 ($18), the bulk of that being tax, and smokers die younger, requiring less by way of benefits and pensions for the elderly.

Tobacco isn't going ANYWHERE - more's the pity...Of course, government will pay lip-service to its being a detestable habit - putting a relatively small amount into services designed to help us quit, putting hideous pictures and warnings on the packets, hiding them behind screens in the shops, putting the price up year-on-year - but the truth is that they don't WANT to ban them for the reasons listed above.

The hypocrisy is astounding, and makes me want to spit - not least because I know that banning them would force me to stop - and I WANT TO STOP!!! I enjoy my pitiful three fags a day - but I wouldn't break the law to obtain them - not least because I'm a lazy old bag, and it would require a lot more effort than just nipping to the corner shop.
    Never said anything about banning it, just meant to educate the world about the devil that tobacco is so that people of the future choose not to use it. My God, I would not want to be in the same country with you when you decide to quit
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Fuck the UN and any of it's related organizations...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Fuck the UN and any of it's related organizations...
    That's not very patriotic, now is it? (After all, one could argue that the USA is a "related organisation"... )

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

The US is a government, not an organization.
    Jet City Super Stealth

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    The US is a government, not an organization.

Well, it's not very organised, I'll give you that...

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

At least we don't have a Royal family that is involved with incest and pedophilia...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Far from being insulted by your outrageous slur on her lineage, I'm willing to bet Queenie would find your mis-spelling of 'paedophilia' far more offensive!

Thatcher, 1980