Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Default If Mike had been booted for playing with Dave, would things be different?

It is well known that Eddie fired Mike for playing with Sammy in 02, and didn't want him to take part in the 04 reunion...with Sammy. Eddie's mind is a strange place indeed. Nevertheless, let's say Mike had played with Dave at those shows instead, and Eddie wanted him out because of it. Would Dave have agreed to a reunion without Mike under those circumstances? I only ask because it seems Dave has some fondness for Mike, based on his comments last year.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    It is well known that Eddie fired Mike for playing with Sammy in 02, and didn't want him to take part in the 04 reunion...with Sammy. Eddie's mind is a strange place indeed. Nevertheless, let's say Mike had played with Dave at those shows instead, and Eddie wanted him out because of it. Would Dave have agreed to a reunion without Mike under those circumstances? I only ask because it seems Dave has some fondness for Mike, based on his comments last year.
    I doubt anyone could ever answer this, including Dave himself. It would have all depended on where everyone's head was at during the specific time period. Since it never happened, who knows?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Based upon how he treated and talked about Mike for a long time("the bass player"), I don't think DLR has a real fondness for him outside of him being a part of something special overall, the classic lineup, and that the reunion of it would be something special.

I think he would treat Mike with a lot more kindness and respect than he did the first time around. But who the fuck knows, I'm just spit-balling.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

I think Sammy would be the current lead singer of Van Halen under these circumstances.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Well, Dave rejoined the group with a 16 year old kid on bass. I think that answers your question right there. I think Dave would have rejoined Van Halen if Valerie Bertinelli or Janie Lisewski were playing bass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Well, Dave rejoined the group with a 16 year old kid on bass. I think that answers your question right there. I think Dave would have rejoined Van Halen if Valerie Bertinelli or Janie Lisewski were playing bass.
    This. After VH Sammy established a pretty decent looking solo career again. Dave's just kinda fizzled out after some initial success. Without VH he's pretty much a state fair act unfortunately, I think he would have been there for a VH ''reunion'' no matter what. So basically the answer to this post is that Mike would've still been out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:47 PM
    Liked 396 Times in 177 Posts

Yeah, I think Dave understood his age and that it was now or never. Hell he probably would have joined if Ed said "ok, wanna come back? but you have to play bass"

"SURE THING! LET'S DO THIS! BOZEDY BOP!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:11 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This. It wouldn't have mattered to Dave and regardless Eddie was determined to have Wolfgang play in the band. The whole Mike playing with Sammy thing just made it easier to justify for Eddie. The funny thing is now Wolfgang is playing in two bands, so his arguement pretty much falls apart.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Well, Dave rejoined the group with a 16 year old kid on bass. I think that answers your question right there.
    To be fair, it wasn't just any 16-year-old kid on bass.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

VH fan who posted pictures of himself and brother with Eddie in their car around 2005 when they met him said Eddie was pissed off that after all the money Mike and Sam made on the 2004 tour they didn't even send him a Christmas card that year.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

It is well known that Eddie fired Mike for playing with Sammy in 02.
    You really think that's the main reason, or just the straw that broke the camel's back? EVH is on record going back to '80s that he resented all the publishing money MA was making while not "pulling his weight," i.e. writing anything. Fair or unfair-- and let's be real, none of us really knows what goes on between band members-- it really sounds like Mike's defiance in 2002 gave Eddie the excuse to do what he had wanted to do for a while. I admit this is speculation, but who really thinks things were cool between them and suddenly went bad when Mike played with "the enemy?"
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hamnerhead View Post
    You really think that's the main reason, or just the straw that broke the camel's back? EVH is on record going back to '80s that he resented all the publishing money MA was making while not "pulling his weight," i.e. writing anything. Fair or unfair-- and let's be real, none of us really knows what goes on between band members-- it really sounds like Mike's defiance in 2002 gave Eddie the excuse to do what he had wanted to do for a while. I admit this is speculation, but who really thinks things were cool between them and suddenly went bad when Mike played with "the enemy?"
    I realize that, and I thought it was just an excuse to get rid of Mike for a while, until that recent podcast where Mike confirms that Eddie told him not to play with Sammy. I think Eddie was genuinely pissed and hurt. Also, drunk or not, Eddie seemed really friendly with Mike in the early shows of 04, so I think there was some genuine affection there, and that Ed did feel betrayed.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Wolfgang has matured into a fine young man, but he was in over his head in 2007. I have no proof, except my ears, and I tell you that bass lines and background vocals were piped in on the 2007 tour. Also, it was terrible what Ed and Val let that kid do in Ed's condition.

Dave cared only about fronting VH again. Hell, they could have hired me to play bass and he would have packed for a multi-continental tour, and I can't play bass and I'm bald.
    Last edited by Redfoot; 09.30.14 at 04:37 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Dave didn't just sign on from the get go. He tried to get Mike back in the band but Eddie wouldn't have it. Wolf was going to be in the band no matter what.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 2,856 Times in 1,068 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wolfgang has matured into a fine young man, but he was in over his head in 2007. I have no proof, except my ears, and I tell you that bass lines and background vocals were piped in on the 2007 tour.
    Backing vox might've been piped in, but come on, the dude played bass on the 2007 tour. Seriously guys, VH tunes on bass aren't that hard, so let's give it a rest. And the 2012-2013 tour proved that he is an immensely capable musician.