Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Default Out of circulation...Please help.

Guys, I have been out of the loop playing guitar for a while. I am talking 20+ years. Back in the day I remember getting Musicians Friend catalogs, I see they have a Internet site now. I see sweetwater is out there now. Who is the better place to shop with now days or is there someone that is a better online retailer than those two?

I want to buy a guitar and amp. I see these Wolfgang Standards that are around 500-600 bucks. Whats the word on the street with these guitars? I know they are and should not be the best but are they a good bang for the buck? I dont need something that is amazing as I will just be playing at my house just for me. I would like to get something decent for around 500-600 dollars.

Also I would like to get a small practice amp, is there something out there for around a couple hundred dollars, that is a bang for the buck kind of thing? I was looking at this little guy is this something that anyone would recommend? Seems kind of cool with some effects built right in. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp

At the end of the day I would like to spend around $800.00 on some decent bang for the buck gear. Is this even possible? I got the itch to start playing again, used to have a band back in the day. Something is calling me to start playing again. Dont mean to be clueless here as I am sure amps and such has changed quite a bit in 20+ years.

Thanks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like sweetwater a lot. Free shipping and two years to pay on credit is cool. I don't know anything about the new wolfs. But someone here can help I'm sure.
    Good luck on getting back into it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 2,853 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Welcome back to the world of guitar!

Musician's Friend is owned by the same company as Guitar Center, Music 123, etc. I haven't had any issues with them. That said, Sweetwater is still privately owned, and their customer service is top notch.

I haven't played a new Wolfgang standard, but there's a guy on Instagram (@liquidcharlie) who got one. He plays it well and it sounds pretty killer.

I use a Pod XT into my audio interface for low-volume practicing, so I'll let others chime in on practice amps.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

+1 on any pod product

I think fender squire is best bang for buck guitar
    But might be to entry level for you
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I snagged a great Roland Cube 30 on Craigslist for $100. I almost like it as much as the GK 250ML I bought for $325 in 1988, which I still have.

Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Talk to Tyler at Sweetwater, he gives money off of everything. Just e mail him and ask him for his best price and he will send you a quote.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I am excited to jump back into this. Are these Wolf Standards released yet? I see Musicians Friend and Sweetwater has them for preorder. Either way I am going to grab something within the next 2 weeks. Decisions decisions. ...

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

If it were me, and I had 600$ to spend on a Wolfgang, I'd go with a used US Peavey Special.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

The Orange Micro Terror would be a better choice. Sterling by Music Man makes an affordable line called the Sub, which is pretty good quality considering the price.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    If it were me, and I had 600$ to spend on a Wolfgang, I'd go with a used US Peavey Special.
    Those US Peavy Specials are very underrated guitars. Occasionally, you can find one in the $400 range at Banjo Center.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Not sure exactly where you are, but I seriously recommend going to pawn shops first for a while if that's an option for you. Fortunately for me, there are about 30 pawn shops or so in the Austin area, and there is a surprise or two in every single place, although some places tend to concentrate on specific things, so there are about 3-4 that go deep into amps and guitars.

This will give you an absolute sense of the secondary market, especially for amps. My preference is for a specific type of Crate practice amp, but you never really know what little amp is going to sound great and what will sound like an AM radio until you play through it.

The secondary market is excellent for Squires and Epiphones -- far less expensive -- and Fenders and Gibsons which are almost always about half of their retail price and are always subject to negotiation, especially with cash. I have found a few absolutely amazing and astounding guitars at Pawn Shops that upon walking out I felt like I stole them.

Anyway, that's my recommendation if you're testing out the waters. Also, it's just fun to go around to pawn shops and check out used gear. My son and I do it almost as a hobby sometimes. The things we haven't bought...an absolutely beautiful Gibson Explorer for $400. Went back 3 days later to get it and it was gone. SUCKED!

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

If you're looking for a new amp, I've heard some really good things about VHT... This one looks pretty cool and it's cheap...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

I've never played one, but there was a thread on here a number of years ago where guys loved this guitar for the price.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9...3308-st-series

I do have an older version of this amp.

https://fuse.fender.com/gdec3/

These are pretty cool because you can record a drum loop with a rhythm track that you lay down over it. Then can you solo away, it's a great learning tool for soloing. It also comes with lots of pre-loaded drum tracks you can use along with lots of pre-loaded guitar sounds.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    I've never played one, but there was a thread on here a number of years ago where guys loved this guitar for the price.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9...3308-st-series

I do have an older version of this amp.

https://fuse.fender.com/gdec3/

These are pretty cool because you can record a drum loop with a rhythm track that you lay down over it. Then can you solo away, it's a great learning tool for soloing. It also comes with lots of pre-loaded drum tracks you can use along with lots of pre-loaded guitar sounds.
    My buddy has the relic'd version of that axe. It is a fine, fine instrument. ESP has, over the years, benchmarked SEVERAL iconic axes over the years, and it shows in their offerings.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I've had a lot of luck and fun with some of Roland's Cube amps . They are small and very versatile . They come pretty cheap , and are jam packed with COSM amp modelers and built in effects . You can get a great range of tones out of them .

The same goes for the Peavey Vypyr line of amps . Great bang for the buck IMO .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora