Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I posted this article completely in the other forum for Sammy and Dave's tour, but there's a comment (in bold) Sammy makes that I thought might garner discussion in here:

Hagar, Roth Ready To Spar 'Song For Song'

For more than 15 years, the prevailing sentiment was that the only way former Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar would share a stage would be at a ceremony when receiving a major industry accolade for the band. But despite their publicized acrimony, the two frontmen shocked fans with the announcement of their co-headlining Song for Song: The Heavyweight Champs of Rock'N'Roll tour, which kicks off Wednesday (May 29) in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

"Every time I did an interview last year, the rumor was [Van Halen] couldn't work with Dave anymore and now they were going to call me again," Hagar tells Billboard.com. "Some of their camp had called me and [Van Halen bassist] Michael Anthony had been working with me a little bit on a side project. Mikey would be saying, 'I don't know, Ed and Al (Van Halen) keep asking where is Sam's head at?' And I'm going, 'My head is the same place it's always been!'"

"The only way I would be interested is if we [both Roth and Hagar] do it all together because that would really be great for the fans and they're the ones who have been getting screwed all of these years," he continues. "So Dave called and said, 'They can't get it together. I can't get it together. Let's you and I do it,' and I said, 'right on.'"

The tour will find Hagar and Roth alternating opening and closing duties, with each playing a 90-minute set. Roth will fill his stage time entirely with Van Halen material, while Hagar plans on spanning his whole career, which essentially is no different than a normal solo show with his backing band, the Waboritas. "I usually play two-and-a-half hours, so I've taken an hour out of my set and I didn't take any Van Halen out," he says. In a unique twist, Anthony is expected to join Hagar's band for various shows, including the tour opener.

There's no disguising the rivalry that exists between Roth and Hagar, who will finally have a venue in which to exhibit their talents head-to-head. However, there's a certain degree of instability associated with Roth and his career. Diamond Dave's last major amphitheater tour came over 10 years ago in support of his 1991 release "A Little Ain't Enough." Considering Hagar must have heard stories while in Van Halen about their erstwhile singer, does he have any concerns about Roth's behavior?

"Of course, the few times I've been around him, he's definitely on the edge of going one way or another," Hagar admits. "I don't think he's quite as stable and consistent a human being or a performer as I am and I think he could easily do something. I'm worried about it because it's not going to change my life but I think it would really hurt the fans and the credibility of this tour if he pulled out for some reason."

"I'm telling you right now, if he does that to me ... first of all, I will go on anyway and I'll play for two-and-a-half hours," Hagar adds. "I'll play every old Van Halen song I know. I would call up Michael Anthony. I would call up Eddie Van Halen and say, 'Eddie, here's a million dollars, get your ass out here and play a couple of nights with me because Dave pulled out.' I would go that far with it if he pulled out. I will ruin him if he does that to the fans. It would be a horrible thing."

Depending on ticket sales (which are quite healthy so far) and how well Roth and Hagar get along, the tour may expand to a second leg. Asked what fans can expect when the tour opens next week, Hagar proclaims, "things could get ugly right out of the gate."
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,468 Times in 899 Posts

Very interesting quote from Sammy. Does he really think that Dave is that unstable that he would pull out of a tour? Personally, I think the opposite would happen. I think Sammy would leave before Dave would.

Would Eddie join Sammy for a million bucks?
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Raldo:

Would Eddie join Sammy for a million bucks?
    Maybe it's true that money talks and bullshit walks!
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave's wacky, but I'm pretty sure he has never, ever pulled out of a show voluntarily in his entire career. Kind of insulting (not in a joking kind of way) for Sam to say that.

Sounds to me like fat boy doesn't know what he's in for. Sounds kind of nervous with that type of criticism.
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't see an olive branch anywhere in these quotes.

I also don't think Dave would pull out of this tour. It's selling well. There will be lots of fans. This is what Dave is all about. If anything Sam will be the one to get out and I don't see that happening either.

Sammy better get used to Dave because he's in it for the long haul.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Thanks EffAyych! This tour is going to be very interesting. I hope it lasts to Bass Ackwards!

[ May 28, 2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: dirtymovies ]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

With all the publicity this tour is garnering and all Dave has done to promote it like going to the radio stations and playing I can't see Dave pulling out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I personally don't see anything "out of the ordinary" in Sammy's quotes. Both the press and the singers know that it will be a huge clash of two egos (one -- namely, Dave's -- is very large and strangely-motivated), and Sam's just reflecting on that. Just MHO. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Marion Barry:
    Kind of insulting (not in a joking kind of way) for Sam to say that.

Sounds to me like fat boy doesn't know what he's in for. Sounds kind of nervous with that type of criticism.
    Let me say this again. Sammy is a manipulator and he is or will be trying to snake his way back into VH. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Interesting to say the least...

Could be a simple continuation of the implied competative friction between Sam & Dave all rolled up in the PR stance for this tour.

Or...

Sam is eluding to problems in Dave's camp that could bring this thing to shambles.

I would expect if both performers bring their "A" game to tomorrow nite's opener it'll be real interesting and a good show. Looking forward to the 1st hand reports from the opener...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

LOL, that's the first time I've heard Sam actually elude to the fact that he's no different from Dave in the fact that he wants back with Van Halen. Everybody Wants Some!

As far as Ed is concerned, I think he's already proven that he's not into getting together with anyone for money. If that was the case, Dave and Van Halen would be in the studio right now putting the finishing touches on the next CD.
    Could this be magic?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by dirtymovies:
    Thanks EffAyych! This tour is going to be very interesting. I hope it lasts to Bass Ackwards!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No way in Hell would Dave pull out, but this sounds to me like good ol DLR and Sam are pulling a fast one on the fans, guys this is SHOWBIZ!!!!!!!!!! Dave and Sam are talking shit to make you listen, they are tlaking shit like boxers do, or the guys in the WWF do, this is kinda like the WWF to me. All I have to say is that you lucky bastards that get to see a kick ass show tomorrow and all of the NON-Believers will know the power of a DLRAass Kicking show!!!! ENJOY!!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.17.05 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    "Every time I did an interview last year, the rumor was [Van Halen] couldn't work with Dave anymore and now they were going to call me again," Hagar tells Billboard.com. "Some of their camp had called me and [Van Halen bassist] Michael Anthony had been working with me a little bit on a side project. Mikey would be saying, 'I don't know, Ed and Al (Van Halen) keep asking where is Sam's head at?' And I'm going, 'My head is the same place it's always been!'"
    that... my friends, is what some would call a bombshell.

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems to me that a big point of this whole tour is "We want back in Van Halen". I mean, you'd think they would get over it by now, especially Sammy. I mean, life does go on and they're both living in the past celebrating their career highlights in the band they both used to be in. They would both rejoin in a heartbeat, given favorable circumstances. It would just be a matter of someone swallowing their pride.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)