Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Eric Holder To Step Down As Attorney General

Eric Holder To Step Down As Attorney General

Eric Holder Jr., the nation's first black U.S. attorney general, is preparing to announce his resignation Thursday after a tumultuous tenure marked by civil rights advances, national security threats, reforms to the criminal justice system and five and a half years of fights with Republicans in Congress.

Two sources familiar with the decision tell NPR that Holder, 63, intends to leave the Justice Department as soon as his successor is confirmed, a process that could run through 2014 and even into next year. A former U.S. government official says Holder has been increasingly "adamant" about his desire to leave soon for fear he otherwise could be locked in to stay for much of the rest of President Obama's second term.

Holder already is one of the longest serving members of the Obama cabinet and ranks as the fourth longest tenured AG in history. Hundreds of employees waited in lines, stacked three rows deep, for his return in early February 2009 to the Justice Department, where he previously worked as a young corruption prosecutor and as deputy attorney general — the second in command — during the Clinton administration.

But some of that early glow faded in part due to the politicized nature of the job and in part because of Holder's own rhetoric, such as a 2009 Black History Month speech where he said the country was "a nation of cowards" when it comes to discussions about racial tension.

Five years later, violence erupted between police and protesters in Ferguson, Mo., after a white policeman killed an unarmed black 18 year old. And this time, the White House dispatched Holder to speak his piece, in effect jump starting that conversation, and helping to settle nerves in the frayed community.

Another huge controversy — over his decision to try the 9-11 plotters in a New York courthouse in the shadow of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center — prompted venomous reaction from lawmakers, New York City officials and some victim families.

Under pressure that threatened his job and his legacy, the attorney general reversed his decision and instead sent the cases to military court — where they continue to languish even as Osama Bin Laden's son-in-law and other terrorism defendants are serving life sentences in maximum security prisons on American soil.

Holder most wants to be remembered for his record on civil rights: refusing to defend a law that defined marriage as between one man and one woman; suing North Carolina and Texas over voting restrictions that disproportionately affect minorities and the elderly; launching 20 investigations of abuses by local police departments; and using his bully pulpit to lobby Congress to reduce prison sentences for non-violent drug crimes. Many of those sentences disproportionately hurt minority communities.

And then, there's his relationship with Congress. From the day Holder's nomination was announced, Republicans led by Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., signaled he would be a political lightning rod.

The attorney general's portfolio, which spans sensitive law enforcement cases and hot button social issues including marijuana and gay marriage, didn't help. But even longtime aides say Holder didn't do enough to help himself by shrugging off preparations and moot sessions before congressional appearances and speaking off the cuff — and obliquely.

Things hit a crisis point when the GOP-led House voted him in contempt for refusing to hand over documents about a gun trafficking scandal known as Fast and Furious. That represented the first time an attorney general had ever been rebuked that way but still Holder held onto his job.

In the end, the decision to leave was Holder's alone — the two sources tell NPR the White House would have been happy to have him stay a full eight years and to avoid what could be a contentious nomination fight for his successor. Holder and President Obama discussed his departure several times and finalized things in a long meeting over Labor Day weekend at the White House.

The attorney general told staff the news at DOJ this morning and has called civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., and Ethel Kennedy, the widow of former AG Robert F. Kennedy.

The sources say a leading candidate for that job is Solicitor General Don Verrilli, the administration's top representative to the Supreme Court and a lawyer whose judgment and discretion are prized in both DOJ and the White House.

Friends and former colleagues say Holder's made no decisions about his next professional perch, but they say it would be no surprise if he returned to the law firm Covington & Burling, where he spent years representing corporate clients.

The friends say Holder is also considering donating his papers to a university in D.C. or his native New York, where he could establish a civil rights center to work more on law enforcement interactions with communities of color and host public forums on those issues.

Even though the attorney general has his eyes on the door, the two sources say several more policy and enforcement initiatives are underway and could be announced soon.

For instance, Holder sent a memo to U.S. Attorneys Wednesday urging them not to use sentencing enhancements known as "851" tools to gain leverage in plea negotiations with defendants — in essence, threatening defendants into avoiding trial with huge amounts of prison time. The practice has been criticized by U.S. District Judge John Gleeson in Brooklyn, as well as other jurists.

Holder is also expected to notify federal prosecutors in coming days that the Justice Department will no longer require defendants who plead guilty to waive their rights to appeal based on ineffective lawyering. Many U.S. Attorneys now forgo that practice, but not all.

Long awaited racial profiling guidelines for federal agents will be released soon, too. Those guidelines will make clear sexual orientation, ethnicity and religion are not legitimate bases for law enforcement suspicion but controversial mapping of certain communities — including Muslim-American ones — would still be allowed for national security investigations, one of the sources said.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...torney-general
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Time to ca$h in on a book deal.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The AG for arguably one of (if not) the most corrupt administrations in history was previously a corruption prosecutor.

That strikes me as funny in a sad sorta way.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Wow, I would say that this is good news but I'm suspicious about this shitbag's motives.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

He's been pretty bad.

That being said, I have about zero confidence that the next person will be any better. I have gotten to that cynical point in my life that I think everyone is government is either on the take, an idiot, or both.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

He should be locked up for Fast & Furious...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Racists!!!
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Jet City Super Stealth

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I heard Al Sharpton is involved in talks with the White House about the replacement. I'm not saying he will be the choice, that he will have a hand in who the replacement is.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I heard Al Sharpton is involved in talks with the White House about the replacement. I'm not saying he will be the choice, that he will have a hand in who the replacement is.
    Fabulous. 'Cause that'll change things and not make them worse.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I love how a known tax cheat and fraud has a part in our national debate. But I can't say that, I'm sorry, that makes me racist to point out that a black guy is a cheat and tax fraud.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I love how a known tax cheat and fraud has a part in our national debate. But I can't say that, I'm sorry, that makes me racist to point out that a black guy is a cheat and tax fraud.
    DD, you are such a racist anymore

Remember, as Father Flanagan said: "There is no such thing as a bad boy" - It is their environment and upbringing that cause all, not their own choices
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If it makes you feel better Tim Geihtner was a fraud and a tax cheat and he's white.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Al fucking Sharpton being consulted??? What a sham...

Whoever it is, it'll probably be even worse than Holder... The corruption in this administration is beyond belief... Obama and his cronies/fellow criminals make Bush and co. look like Constitutional scholars...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 11,773 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Default Coincidence?

Critics Are Claiming This Could Be the Real Reason Behind Attorney General Eric Holder’s Resignation

Critics are drawing a connection between a federal judge’s recent decision to deny the Justice Department’s request to delay the release of a list of Fast and Furious documents and Attorney General Eric Holder’s impending resignation.

U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates ruled against the DOJ Thursday, denying a request to delay the release of a list of Fast and Furious documents known as a “Vaughn index.” The information has been withheld from Congress and the public under President Barack Obama’s assertion of executive privilege.

Later on Thursday, it was reported that Holder intends to step down as attorney general after his successor is selected.

Townhall’s Katie Pavlich, who wrote a book about the Fast and Furious gun-walking scandal, sarcastically called the two announcements a “coincidence” on Thursday.

The conservative blog Weasel Zippers also made the connection and asked in a headline: “The Reason for Eric Holder’s Resignation?”

Weasel Zippers

U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates ultimately ruled that the “government’s argument for even more time is unconvincing” and gave the Obama administration 21 more days to produce the Vaughn index to Judicial Watch.

Many users on Twitter seemed convinced the judge’s Fast and Furious ruling could be behind the resignation:

Judicial Watch has more details on the fight to obtain the Fast and Furious Vaughn index:

On July 18, [U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates] ordered the Department of Justice to produce the documents list by October 1. The ruling by U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates denied a motion by the Obama DOJ that it be given until over an extra month, until November 3, to produce the Vaughn index. Judge Bates noted that the Justice Department’s request showed the Justice Department was, “at best, it means the Department has been slow to react to this Court’s previous [July 18, 2014] Order. At worst, it means the Department has ignored that Order until now.”

In its FOIA lawsuit, Judicial Watch sought all of the documents the Obama White House was withholding from the House of Representatives under its June 20, 2012, executive privilege claims. The House had been separately litigating to obtain the documents but had gotten nowhere until after Judge Bates ruled that the DOJ finally had to disclose the document information to Judicial Watch. On September 9, U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson, citing Judicial Watch’s success, ordered the DOJ to begin producing information to Congress by November 3.

In denying the DOJ’s motion for an extension until the day before the November elections, Bates ruled, “The government’s argument for even more time is unconvincing,” and granted the government just 21 additional days to produce the Vaughn index to Judicial Watch.

Whether there is anything damning enough in the Fast and Furious Vaughn index to force a sitting U.S. attorney general to resign remains to be seen.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...s-resignation/

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-r...ch-october-22/
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 09.25.14 at 01:56 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen