Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default evh striped series will not stay in tune

Love this guitar but in spite of it being set up at guitar center twice, it will not stay in tune. Every time I hit the trem bar it goes out of tune.

Any thoughts on what I need to do? I see it only uses two springs on the trem as opposed to my wolfgang that use three. Could that be a cause?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lieu910 View Post
    Love this guitar but in spite of it being set up at guitar center twice, it will not stay in tune. Every time I hit the trem bar it goes out of tune.

Any thoughts on what I need to do? I see it only uses two springs on the trem as opposed to my wolfgang that use three. Could that be a cause?
    A buddy of mine had this problem when he bought a PV Wolfgang (US version) when they first came out years ago. He had pros look at it a few times and in the end, he had to return it to the shop he bought it from and they got him another one (which was fine).

Did you buy it new? If so, you might need them to get you another one.

I've got 2 of the striped series and they are amazing. No problems with tuning at all
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Any thoughts on what I need to do?

Not an all-inclusive list by any means, but here's a few things:
    -stretch the strings
    -bridge plate should make contact with the body (if not tighten the trem claw screws further into the body)
    -make sure all of the saddle mounting screws are tight (if not, they will move when the bar is depressed!)
    -make sure that the top nut clamp screws are tight (the strings should not move)
    -make sure that the rear mounting nut screws are tight (if not, the nut can move when the bar is depressed causing the strings to go out)
    Last edited by jimi11580; 09.19.14 at 03:19 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Not an all-inclusive list by any means, but here's a few things:
    -stretch the strings
    -bridge plate should make contact with the body (if not tighten the trem claw screws further into the body)
    -make sure all of the saddle mounting screws are tight (if not, they will move when the bar is depressed!)
    -make sure that the top nut clamp screws are tight (the strings should not move)
    -make sure that the rear mounting nut screws are tight (if not, the nut can move when the bar is depressed causing the strings to go out)
    This, and make sure they didn't tighten the saddle screws too much and actually broke the saddle blocks. My black and white had 2 broken saddle blocks and wouldn't stay in tune either. I replaced all the blocks and now it stays in tune.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default I had the same problem...

I got my RBW about a month ago and had exactly the same issue. Once I figured out the problem, it was an easy fix. If ours were from the same production run, yours could have the same fault. Here's the deal:

My guitar went out of tune every time I touched the trem, particularly the B and G strings. It was acting like the locking nut wasn't clamped down properly. I confirmed that by tuning the guitar, then pressing down the B and/or G behind the nut - if that puts the guitar out of tune, then you know the nut isn't clamping firmly enough.

Once I figured that out, I tried everything I could think of, including tightening the nut as far as it could possibly go. Still no luck. Then, when I had the clamps off - so just the nut base in place with the strings on top - I noticed that the bolts coming through from the back of the neck, the ones that fix the nut to the guitar, were sitting slightly proud of the surface of the nut. No more than half a millimetre, but more than the thickness of the unwound strings. Logically, then, they had to be stopping the clamps from gripping properly.

I went to the hardware store and bought a pack of M5 (3/16" in American money) washers. I removed the bolts from the back of the neck, slipped two washers onto each, and screwed them back in. The ends of the bolts no longer sit proud, and the tuning on my guitar is now rock solid.

So, in short, remove the clamps from your locking nut, and examine the ends of the bolts that come through from the back of the neck. It might be hard to spot by eye, but you should be able to feel with your fingertip if they're sitting higher than the strings. If they are, there's your problem.

It's a pretty stupid fault for a new guitar to ship with. I don't know if the bolts were too long, or the countersunk holes were drilled too deep. Either way, it was easier to go to the hardware store and spend a pound on a pack of washers than it was to send my guitar back to Thomann in Germany.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Charvel2; 09.19.14 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added a title
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Nearly every new guitar requires a set up by a professional guitar technician. If the tech determines that the tuning problem that you mentioned is the result of a manufacturer's defect, then you might want to give that information to the outlet that you purchased the guitar from and make arrangements to return it and exchange it or whatever solution you arrange with the retailer.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I got my RBW about a month ago and had exactly the same issue. Once I figured out the problem, it was an easy fix. If ours were from the same production run, yours could have the same fault. Here's the deal:

My guitar went out of tune every time I touched the trem, particularly the B and G strings. It was acting like the locking nut wasn't clamped down properly. I confirmed that by tuning the guitar, then pressing down the B and/or G behind the nut - if that puts the guitar out of tune, then you know the nut isn't clamping firmly enough.

Once I figured that out, I tried everything I could think of, including tightening the nut as far as it could possibly go. Still no luck. Then, when I had the clamps off - so just the nut base in place with the strings on top - I noticed that the bolts coming through from the back of the neck, the ones that fix the nut to the guitar, were sitting slightly proud of the surface of the nut. No more than half a millimetre, but more than the thickness of the unwound strings. Logically, then, they had to be stopping the clamps from gripping properly.

I went to the hardware store and bought a pack of M5 (3/16" in American money) washers. I removed the bolts from the back of the neck, slipped two washers onto each, and screwed them back in. The ends of the bolts no longer sit proud, and the tuning on my guitar is now rock solid.

So, in short, remove the clamps from your locking nut, and examine the ends of the bolts that come through from the back of the neck. It might be hard to spot by eye, but you should be able to feel with your fingertip if they're sitting higher than the strings. If they are, there's your problem.

It's a pretty stupid fault for a new guitar to ship with. I don't know if the bolts were too long, or the countersunk holes were drilled too deep. Either way, it was easier to go to the hardware store and spend a pound on a pack of washers than it was to send my guitar back to Thomann in Germany.

I hope that helps.
    I had the exact same problem on the USA Grey Stealth. I did the exact same thing except I didn't know the size of the washers cause I "found" them at work.
    Problem was solved
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

If this guitar has been set up twice and it still won't stay in tune, then you need to take it back to the tech at Guitar Center and have them fix it. If you paid for a setup (or even if they are doing it as a courtesy because you bought the instrument there) and the guitar is still going out of tune, then I would say that they have not completed the setup. It is their responsibility to fix the guitar or replace it with a working one if they can't solve the problem. You shouldn't even have to worry about how to solve the problem on your own.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

This works for any tremolo
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

GC is probably part of the problem. I wouldn't trust them to properly intonate a guitar. If that's your only option for repairs so be it. I'd find another local luthier.

Also check to be sure the neck bolts are tight. I had to tighten up a four bolt neck recently. Screws barely moved, but it was enough to make things snug and fixed my tuning problem. Probably not your issue though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

They have to fix whatever issues exist for free or give him a new properly working guitar.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I've never had this problem on a new guitar, but the wood does tend to shrink here in the desert due to the arid climate. About once or twice a year I need to make sure the nuts on all my Floyd guitars are screwed down tight to the neck wood. Doesn't take much wiggle to really throw things out of whack.

If EVH/Fender is letting these out of the factory with ill-fitting hardware, then that's pretty inexcusable quality control.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

I highlighted the problem.

GC techs tend not to be world class. Some are good, most are just guys who who can count how many frets a guitar has.

I used to work at GC and we had an in-house tech. I redid about 75% of his setups because you could still drive a truck under the strings.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    They have to fix whatever issues exist for free or give him a new properly working guitar.
    There's probably nothing wrong with it that can't be fixed by somebody doing a proper setup on it.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I highlighted the problem.

GC techs tend not to be world class. Some are good, most are just guys who who can count how many frets a guitar has.

I used to work at GC and we had an in-house tech. I redid about 75% of his setups because you could still drive a truck under the strings.
    Banjo Center (GC) never impressed me as being able to properly set up a guitar. Normally, the local luthier sets up any guitar I buy or put together.

I like buying from the ol' Banjo Center, but 9/10 guitars I have bought there needed a bit of work.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!