Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Default Actress Daniele Watts gets detained and complains about racism.

'Django' Actress Daniele Watts Goes on Offensive After Being Detained by LAPD for Heavy PDA

Actress Daniele Watts, whose Facebook post about being detained by the Los Angeles Police Department went viral over the weekend, continues to rail against her perceived mistreatment.

While being interviewed by CNN on Monday, Watts, who has appeared in Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained and TV shows Weeds and Partners, said that she refused to give an LAPD officer her identification when he asked for it because, "I believe in America and what it stands for."

Watts claims she was detained because officers thought she was a prostitute. The actress, who is African American, and her white boyfriend, celebrity chef Brian James Lucas, have accused police of racism for questioning them after they say they were just "making out" in public.

The incident happened outside of CBS Studio Center in Studio City on Thursday, and picked up attention over after Watts detailed her account on her Facebook page, stating, "officers accosted me and forced me into handcuffs."

"I gave him my ID knowing we did nothing wrong and when they asked D for hers, she refused to give it because they had no right to do so," wrote Lucas. "So they handcuffed her and threw her roughly into the back of the cop car until they could figure out who she was. In the process of handcuffing her, they cut her wrist, which was truly not cool!"
    https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...170420117.html
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

It looks like another racism complaint gets debunked:

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/15/django...#ixzz3DPC9kvye

Witnesses: ‘Django Unchained’ actress and boyfriend having sex in car before police arrived: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/blog/2014...olice-arrived/

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Default Actress Daniele Watts gets detained and complains about racism.

She's wrong on the ID front because they had probable cause that lewd acts or prostitution was occurring. They broke the law if they had sex in public and knew or should've known someone could see.

If the car door was open, seems pretty open and shut.

Now, it's possible that prostitution, especially of Black women, is common in that area. Then someone in the building might have thought she was a prostitute based on race.

Otherwise, she did do something wrong. And if you're going to say, "I know my rights," then know them.

Also, "Do you know who I am?" Is worse than the race card IMO.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.15.14 at 04:40 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

She's a moron.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Once again, resisting the police gets you NOWHERE.

Since she claims to have done nothing wrong, she could have cooperated and been on her way but nope, gotta resist and make it worse.

The cops were way to polite with her IMO. Cuffs would have come out a lot sooner if it were me.

Last Online

Premium Member

If they had no probable cause and were just stopping her on the sidewalk, she'd be well within her rights not to show ID or give her name.

Sadly, even the ACLU in Northern CA recommends you identify now. It's sad when an organization dedicated to civil rights gives up because they know police will just arrest you and make up probable cause because they're annoyed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

saw the video and I like how the cop said " I would have been out of here by now"

that chick was bugging out! here's a rule....don't use the "do you know who I am?" line if there is ANY possibility of the answer being " uh..NO"

Reese Witherspoon used it at her drunk in public arrest, but hey....people KNOW who Reese Witherspoon is......I have already forgotten who this actress is and I just saw the video!

oh but she is starting to make the rounds of the news media. ugh

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    saw the video and I like how the cop said " I would have been out of here by now"

that chick was bugging out! here's a rule....don't use the "do you know who I am?" line if there is ANY possibility of the answer being " uh..NO"

Reese Witherspoon used it at her drunk in public arrest, but hey....people KNOW who Reese Witherspoon is......I have already forgotten who this actress is and I just saw the video!

oh but she is starting to make the rounds of the news media. ugh
    She must not have been in the first 30 minutes of DJango (I had to turn it off it was so painfully boring and uninteresting).....cuz I have no clue who this is.

What purpose would it serve NOT to identify yourself to police if they ask?

Why make life harder than it already is?

Whatever, keep making it harder on yourself. Apparently the million examples of resisting and failing hasn't sunk in yet

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    She must not have been in the first 30 minutes of DJango (I had to turn it off it was so painfully boring and uninteresting).....cuz I have no clue who this is.

What purpose would it serve NOT to identify yourself to police if they ask?

Why make life harder than it already is?

Whatever, keep making it harder on yourself. Apparently the million examples of resisting and failing hasn't sunk in yet
    Did you make it into any scenes with Leo DiCaprio? If not, you didn't see her. And I am surprised you didn't like it. I thought it was his best since Pulp Fiction, and if you look at the audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, a lot of other people did to. Reservoir Dogs, PF, and DU, if I remember correctly, are his only 3 films with an audience rating above 90%. Of course, if you don't like his films, I could see where you would be bored. They are an acquired taste IMO.

As far as the police go, your fifth amendment rights might apply in certain situations. As SCOTUS wrote, "[A] case may arise where there is a substantial allegation that furnishing identity at the time of a stop would have given the police a link in the chain of evidence needed to convict the individual of a separate offense. In that case, the court can then consider whether the privilege applies, and, if the Fifth Amendment has been violated, what remedy must follow. We need not resolve those questions here ..."

The reality is that, in CA, if you don't want to be treated like a criminal, ID yourself. I happen to think that is BS, and we can do better than that, but it is what it is.

If you haven't been detained or arrested, the reality is that you should be able to refuse your name to a cop--just like anyone else--without fear of being arrested and probably cause made up later. But, as it stands now, do that and you'll find your night ruined.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Did you make it into any scenes with Leo DiCaprio? If not, you didn't see her. And I am surprised you didn't like it. I thought it was his best since Pulp Fiction, and if you look at the audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, a lot of other people did to. Reservoir Dogs, PF, and DU, if I remember correctly, are his only 3 films with an audience rating above 90%. Of course, if you don't like his films, I could see where you would be bored. They are an acquired taste IMO.

As far as the police go, your fifth amendment rights might apply in certain situations. As SCOTUS wrote, "[A] case may arise where there is a substantial allegation that furnishing identity at the time of a stop would have given the police a link in the chain of evidence needed to convict the individual of a separate offense. In that case, the court can then consider whether the privilege applies, and, if the Fifth Amendment has been violated, what remedy must follow. We need not resolve those questions here ..."

The reality is that, in CA, if you don't want to be treated like a criminal, ID yourself. I happen to think that is BS, and we can do better than that, but it is what it is.

If you haven't been detained or arrested, the reality is that you should be able to refuse your name to a cop--just like anyone else--without fear of being arrested and probably cause made up later. But, as it stands now, do that and you'll find your night ruined.
    30 minutes may have been an exaggeration, I didn't make it to the halfway point (I think? Isn't it like almost 3 hours long?) I did see Leo, I think his terrible over the top acting in that movie was the last straw if I remember correctly. And I'm a fan of most of Leo's movies, he's a great actor, but he was ridiculous from the little I saw.

And Jaime Fox alone is enough to shut a movie off. IMO of course.

Pulp Fiction is the only QT movie that I've seen that I'd say is great, that one is a classic for sure. But he's a one hit wonder for me. I know a lot of people love his stuff, but I don't put much stock into public opinion. I haven't seen ALL of his movies, so I won't make disparaging comments on movies I haven't seen.

Again, what good can come from refusing to provide your ID? Unless you are hiding something, then that makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 09.15.14 at 08:03 PM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    30 minutes may have been an exaggeration, I didn't make it to the halfway point (I think? Isn't it like almost 3 hours long?) I did see Leo, I think his terrible over the top acting in that movie was the last straw if I remember correctly. And I'm a fan of most of Leo's movies, he's a great actor, but he was ridiculous from the little I saw.

And Jaime Fox alone is enough to shut a movie off. IMO of course.

Pulp Fiction is the only QT movie that I've seen that I'd say is great, that one is a classic for sure. But he's a one hit wonder for me. I know a lot of people love his stuff, but I don't put much stock into public opinion. I haven't seen ALL of his movies, so I won't make disparaging comments on movies I haven't seen.

Again, what good can come from refusing to provide your ID? Unless you are hiding something, then that makes perfect sense.
    Well then I would venture to say you wouldn't classify yourself as a fan of his lol. Leo's portrayal of the character early on actually sets you up for a dark, dark turn his character makes during the climax, so I understand that decision. Anyway, she was dressed in a maid's outfit when Waltz and Fox meet up with DiCaprio for the first time. She's in the room.

Anyway, what I would say about the police is this. If you don't want to be treated like a criminal and arrested and have your night ruined for no reason, don't refuse to ID yourself to police for any reason. That said, I wish that weren't the reality. Police shouldn't be able to just stop someone for any or no reason and use force against them if they don't ID themselves. That's the hallmark of a police state.

As I was typing this recalled a scenario in my past where it might have made sense not to ID myself to police (and maybe still does, I will have to look into it). My buddy was pulled over once with two passengers, me and another friend. The cop asked for all of our IDs. I complied (I wasn't an annoying libertarian then haha). The cop took some time, and then singled me out when he came back. He told me that a guy with my first name, last name, and middle initial, similar description, and same date of birth--but one year earlier--had outstanding warrants. He told me that I should be careful, as a lot of cops might assume it was a clerical error and arrest me.

That is a scenario where I might choose not to ID myself, without being detained, to avoid the possibility of being arrested for some other douchebag's problems. What a mess to have to figure out that I am not that guy. How long would that take? And I just have to sit in jail? No thanks.

My "punishment" for refusal shouldn't be an arrest or use of force.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.15.14 at 09:50 PM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

I made it to the Jonah Hill cameo appearance.

I was shocked at how uninteresting it all ways up to that point.

Jackie Brown is still QT's best movie to me. It's about the only one where the characters are worth looking at past the surface.

Before this movie, Pam Grier was known for showing her tits in 1970's movies and not much else. But she gave a really good performance in that movie. Forrester's character is awesome also. De Niro gave a quirky performance too. I think its the kind of movie that gets better on repeated viewings.

Sure PF has cooler characters, but that's about the biggest strength of his early movies.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 09.16.14 at 12:04 AM.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

LOL, I think Jackie Brown is QT's worst movie. Yes, I'd rather watch "Death Proof" than JB. Rocknblues, do you really think Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction?

Django was a bit of a disappointment for me, but I must be one of the few who thought Leo nailed it. I was unsure of him in this role, but I've come away with him being the only good thing about the film, aside from Waltz.

What's up? No love for Inglourious Basterds? I thought that was one of his best films.

Looking forward to QT's "The Hateful Eight" next year! (another western)
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    LOL, I think Jackie Brown is QT's worst movie. Yes, I'd rather watch "Death Proof" than JB. Rocknblues, do you really think Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction?

Django was a bit of a disappointment for me, but I must be one of the few who thought Leo nailed it. I was unsure of him in this role, but I've come away with him being the only good thing about the film, aside from Waltz.

What's up? No love for Inglourious Basterds? I thought that was one of his best films.

Looking forward to QT's "The Hateful Eight" next year! (another western)
    The characters in Pulp Fiction are shallow, the boxer story sucks... The chick in that story can't act her way out of a paper bag, and Bruce Willis adds nothing to the movie. The watch scene was terrible. The stuff with Travolta and Jackson is good, but there is nothing past the surface there. Really, it's not good when Bruce Willis is surrounded by lots of really good actors because his questionable talent stands out.

Pulp Fiction is just QT wallowing in his fetishes basically. That's what most of his movies are.

Honestly, JB is probably his best film because the material is not really his.

I look at most of his movies and he rarely gets great performances or any performance with any kind of heart. Most of the time the actors in his movies do just what they have done for most of their careers. I few actors actually gave some of the best performances of their careers in Jackie Brown. I guess it helps when you get material that does more than wallow in the director's personal fetishes.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 09.16.14 at 05:25 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

To each their own I guess. But I couldn't disagree more with all of the above.

Can't say I'm surprised by any of that because you tend to go against the grain to get a reaction, so I'll pass because I'm not interested in debating the merits of a 20 year old classic