Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 96 Posts

Default Fender Mustang Floor Multi-Effects Effect Pro

just picked up a Fender Mustang Floor Multi-Effects Effect Pro, seems pretty cool so far, but I don't really like any of the pre loaded effects. Anyone got tips on how to get a good brown sound out of one of these?
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:27 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

Did you buy it new?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Yes - bought it new from GC online. Just arrived yesterday.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

If you have the capability of downloading the Fender Mustang patches from Fender Fuse online, I have written some patches on my small Fender Mustang amp that I uploaded to the database. They are labeled "Tom's Van Halen". I think I may have more than one. Anyway, at one point it was the most highly rated patch for Van Halen in the community. May have been the most downloaded too.

If you can't, what I can tell you is that the combinations to achieve a good Van Halen patch aren't where you would expect to find them. For instance, mixing a Plexi with a cab with 4 greenbacks and throwing an overdrive in front doesn't get it done. You have to use an SLO with the gain backed off, and a tubescreamer in front.

I'm not familiar with the unit you got, but I'm assuming it's Fender's version of a Floor Pod. Just a pedal version of a mustang amp?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    If you have the capability of downloading the Fender Mustang patches from Fender Fuse online, I have written some patches on my small Fender Mustang amp that I uploaded to the database. They are labeled "Tom's Van Halen". I think I may have more than one. Anyway, at one point it was the most highly rated patch for Van Halen in the community. May have been the most downloaded too.

If you can't, what I can tell you is that the combinations to achieve a good Van Halen patch aren't where you would expect to find them. For instance, mixing a Plexi with a cab with 4 greenbacks and throwing an overdrive in front doesn't get it done. You have to use an SLO with the gain backed off, and a tubescreamer in front.

I'm not familiar with the unit you got, but I'm assuming it's Fender's version of a Floor Pod. Just a pedal version of a mustang amp?
    I'll check it out. I just got into the Fuse, I am still trying to figure it all out. This effects pedal has a ton of options. It seems the pedal emulates the amp and the functions are similar. Hopefully I'll be on the road to tonezilla before too long.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

I found "Tom's Van Halen", still ranked #1. Took me a minute to unlock the unit, but now I got all kinds of cool shit loaded on it now. Not bad for under $200.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

The amp versions of these were out for a few years before the music store I worked at went out of business. I thought they sounded great, and not just for the price.

When I took the Fender Factory tour for the first time as a "civilian" (read: not attending a training at the facility)--I posted some pics on here when I did--I noticed they had made a floor unit out the Mustang amp series.

We sold the amps like mad, and several guitar teachers ditched their gear and bought one. Perfect amp for cover band gigs.

At one point we couldn't get any more and had a huge hole in inventory because the amps were so popular. Guessing the floor units sound as good.

Last Online

I wrote a few different patches. All start with "tom's" check them out and see what you like.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

I wrote a few different patches. All start with "tom's" check them out and see what you like.
    Thanks Brotha! Will do!

Last Online

Scotty, please keep in mind that I did the best I could on the Van Halen patch given the software limitations. I know it's not a true representation of a Van Halen tone. I like to call it a caricature of a Van Halen tone. All of the elements of the basic tone are there, but may be heavy on the effects and gain in order to make the patch more dramatically Van Halenish. For the casual player, this patch will probably be just fine. For people that are real Van Halen fans with a more refined ear, they will probably want to tweak the tone a bit to get closer to a true VH tone.

I wrote the patch originally using some Bose in-ear headphones, so the cab and the speaker would not color the tone, which should be good for the floor unit. I wrote the patch to represent an overall Van Halen tone, with a more heavy emphasis on his tone between Fair Warning and 5150. I chose that approach as opposed to trying to write a patch for every era. I guess I must have done ok, because it seems to be pretty popular.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Scotty, please keep in mind that I did the best I could on the Van Halen patch given the software limitations. I know it's not a true representation of a Van Halen tone. I like to call it a caricature of a Van Halen tone. All of the elements of the basic tone are there, but may be heavy on the effects and gain in order to make the patch more dramatically Van Halenish. For the casual player, this patch will probably be just fine. For people that are real Van Halen fans with a more refined ear, they will probably want to tweak the tone a bit to get closer to a true VH tone.

I wrote the patch originally using some Bose in-ear headphones, so the cab and the speaker would not color the tone, which should be good for the floor unit. I wrote the patch to represent an overall Van Halen tone, with a more heavy emphasis on his tone between Fair Warning and 5150. I chose that approach as opposed to trying to write a patch for every era. I guess I must have done ok, because it seems to be pretty popular.
    Gotcha! There is some pretty cool stuff out there. I deleted about half of the 1st dozen or so patches I down loaded, because they were pretty rough.

Any other cool Tom's patches you wrote that you recommend I download?

Thanks!

Last Online

I like:

Tom's Journey
    Tom's 80's
    Tom's Fender Hot
    Tom's Blues Crunch
    Tom's Fly By Night
    Tom's Hotter Vox
    Tom's Clean 1
    Tom's Marshall
    Tom's 1
    Tom's 2

Make sure you get the ones that are written by "nobozos". Other people have changed my original settings and redownloaded them as the same title.

Tom's 1 and Tom's 2 were written to sound good through the speaker in my Mustang amp, so I don't know how well that will translate to the Floor unit. The others were attempts at some other artists. Hotter Vox was sort of a nod to Brian May, but not and effort to replicate his tone exactly. Fly By Night is, well a Rush tribute. Tom's 80's is kind of the standard 80's guitar tone. Marshall was an attempt at a more 70s sounding classic rock tone. Tom's Blues Crunch was kind of a medium gain sort of heavy blues lead tone experiment. Tom's Journey was an attempt at some earlier Journey tones, like in the song "Lights", sort of that era. People seem to like that one and Tom's Blues Crunch. Tom's Clean 1 is sort of a chorus-y clean tone for single coils.

The rest are kind of just ok.

My personal favorites are Journey, Fender Hot, and Blues Crunch.