Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

Default found some 2012 soundboard

I haven't scoured the tube since the tour ended. Surprised I never saw this as it was posted in July 2012, soundboard clip of three songs that I had not heard before, quite rare.

As usual Dave sounds great on YRGM where he stays in his range, meh on tattoo as he always has, and pretty good on ATBL again when he stays in his range. It's like someone needs to set him up with a remote electric shock device, any time he gets too excited he gets zapped as a reminder to reign it in.

Anyway, this clip tells me they could easily release an album of live cuts. Even if they picked and chose the best version of each song throughout the tour.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Nice find!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

I've always hated soundboard recordings.

I am going to describe this poorly, but the band reacts and sounds different because of the crowd and what they are doing, especially the vocalist, and when you take them out of it nothing sounds right.

I am sure that is just me, but I have never liked them, by anybody.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:20 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

I am going to describe this poorly, but the band reacts and sounds different because of the crowd and what they are doing, especially the vocalist, and when you take them out of it nothing sounds right.

I agree. Most people who know nothing about sound or even what "Soundboard recordings" truly are think that it's been mixed for scenarios such as a listener on youtube or at home etc. The intent of a board mix is to mix for the audience at the venue. You caputure the board mix to a recorder so that the band can review and evaluate. In some rare instances bands will also get raw channel feed and remix later for home listeners, but then it stops being a "board mix recording".

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

they sound so lazy
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    I haven't scoured the tube since the tour ended. Surprised I never saw this as it was posted in July 2012, soundboard clip of three songs that I had not heard before, quite rare.

As usual Dave sounds great on YRGM where he stays in his range, meh on tattoo as he always has, and pretty good on ATBL again when he stays in his range. It's like someone needs to set him up with a remote electric shock device, any time he gets too excited he gets zapped as a reminder to reign it in.

Anyway, this clip tells me they could easily release an album of live cuts. Even if they picked and chose the best version of each song throughout the tour.

I enjoyed it. I understand there's the element of the audience missing, but I can appreciate it for what it is and I enjoyed the interaction between Ed and Dave.

A lot of bands use these to make self evaluations of their performance.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
    mrC
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I know what you mean and I know other people that feel that way. I generally prefer soundboards but they can be more sterile. But not always. Maybe it depends on the band or the specific methods used but I own a lot that sound as good or better than many official live albums.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART View Post
    they sound so lazy

haha... well, aren't they "the laziest band ever?"

Cheers,
    mrC
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

No, I understand what you are saying. We don't have the context, etc. Personally, I do still prefer them over audience recordings though.

Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

I have to be honest. I can't even listen to Dave's voice any more. HE SUCKS! He used to be so good and now he has just lost it. Ed sounds good. Dave brings down the band when he cant even sing in the range of his own melodies. He has lost his high note scream which used to take him a long way. Dave is just pathetic now!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN FAN2 View Post
    I have to be honest. I can't even listen to Dave's voice any more. HE SUCKS! He used to be so good and now he has just lost it. Ed sounds good. Dave brings down the band when he cant even sing in the range of his own melodies. He has lost his high note scream which used to take him a long way. Dave is just pathetic now!
    I'm a huge Dave fan, and am glad he is back, but I wish someone would point me to some old shows where he "used to be so good" because I haven't heard one ever. He's never been able to sing a lick. But he's still awesome. And who couldn't get a laugh out of 6:12-6:18!? I mean c'mon.. No one sounds like that!

Holy crap, I just listened to that 6 seconds several times in a row. My eyes are watering from laughing. I'm going to make that my ringtone, lol!

But I still maintain there's a reason why he's never been on any official live album. He's never had a clue even where the words go, to say nothing of pitch or anything else. But he's fun.
    Last edited by snowdog; 09.11.14 at 03:38 PM.

Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I'm a huge Dave fan, and am glad he is back, but I wish someone would point me to some old shows where he "used to be so good" because I haven't heard one ever. He's never been able to sing a lick. But he's still awesome. And who couldn't get a laugh out of 6:12-6:18!? I mean c'mon.. No one sounds like that!

Holy crap, I just listened to that 6 seconds several times in a row. My eyes are watering from laughing. I'm going to make that my ringtone, lol!

But I still maintain there's a reason why he's never been on any official live album. He's never had a clue even where the words go, to say nothing of pitch or anything else. But he's fun.
    This is the era of Dave I like:

He was cool! His voice sounded like the records - he was reasonably in tune- He had the high note!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN FAN2 View Post
    This is the era of Dave I like:

He was cool! His voice sounded like the records - he was reasonably in tune- He had the high note!!!
    I've got that show with all the other proshots but I haven't watched it in a long time. He does seem much better in that clip than I generally think of him as. I sure wish we could get these old proshot shows in high quality. Man, it's frustrating.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:46 AM
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I think this sounds like an in ear monitor feed of some sort? similar sound to the soundboard soundcheck someone leaked around the same time.... band sounds really great.

I'll never forget the first time I heard some of the bootlegs that came out in 2012 and how relieved I was that the band (and eddie particular) were sounding so much better than 2004/2007.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RickyW View Post
    I think this sounds like an in ear monitor feed of some sort? similar sound to the soundboard soundcheck someone leaked around the same time.... band sounds really great.

I'll never forget the first time I heard some of the bootlegs that came out in 2012 and how relieved I was that the band (and eddie particular) were sounding so much better than 2004/2007.
    There was a lot of slop in 2007, some nights more than others, but after the band took a break to get Ed help the latter part of the 2008 tour I thought was fantastic. Eddie played extremely well (although not quite as good as 2012), but Dave also generally sounded better than 2012. A good happy medium. There was 2 and a half minutes of proshot footage from Dallas during that time of YRGM and I'm the One and it's just gone. I asked about it in the "2008 tour question" thread and almost no one responded. It was the only proshot footage we have since 1998 and it's just gone. I can't believe I didn't save it and can't find it online anywhere. The band sounded great!