Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Apple introduces the Apple Watch

    There was an iPhone thread and an iPad thread so I thought I would start the Apple Watch thread.

    It's not on their website yet, and there are all kinds of looks you can get with different sizes and types of bands, but here's a quick picture I put together from my TV screen.

    It seems as though it integrates with your phone, and it is designed for fitness. However, there seem to be three versions--Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport, and Apple Watch Edition (the gold one).

    It will start at $349 and is designed to work with the iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 plus

    Sorry about the size of the photo. I don't know how to resize it.

    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.09.14 at 11:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,158
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:12 PM
    Likes
    1,322
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

    Default

    can't imagine the apple watch being more than a niche market for them. Spending another 350 bucks on a watch that can do 1% of what your phone does when it needs to be paired with that phone (that's probably in your pocket/purse) just seems like an incredibly ridiculous purchase.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The opinion of Twitter seems to be that this is dumb; it's a wearable version of an iPod touch.

    I think the niche market is fitness. I see the sport version of this being the big seller. It has sensors on your skin that can track your heart rate, and it uses your phone's information to track your activity and fitness using new apps that will come with iOS 8, and then that data can be used with third party apps, which is where I think the most usefulness will come from.

    Then again, the hate about the iPad on social media and in the thread on here was all very wrong. Everyone said it was just four iPod Touches duct taped together. Everyone thought the iPad was superfluous.

    I think the fact that Apple Wallet is integrated into Apple Watch makes some sense. If you can just hold your watch up to the credit card machine and pay for stuff, it is easier than using your phone--though I am not sure how they do that when the watch doesn't have the thumb print scanner.

    Ironically, though, cell phones have trained me not to wear a watch. I have the time in my pocket. I wanted an iPad. I don't really care about this, unless I became a fitness fanatic.

    Apple ALWAYS mentions battery life, and they didn't with Apple Watch, which might be something to be concerned about.

    I have the 5s and I am quite happy with it. I honestly don't need my phone to be any bigger. I don't understand the phablet craze at all. But that is the direction it is going, and when I need a new phone, it'll be bigger.

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,158
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:12 PM
    Likes
    1,322
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The opinion of Twitter seems to be that this is dumb; it's a wearable version of an iPod touch.

    I think the niche market is fitness. I see the sport version of this being the big seller. It has sensors on your skin that can track your heart rate, and it uses your phone's information to track your activity and fitness using new apps that will come with iOS 8, and then that data can be used with third party apps, which is where I think the most usefulness will come from.

    Then again, the hate about the iPad on social media and in the thread on here was all very wrong. Everyone said it was just four iPod Touches duct taped together. Everyone thought the iPad was superfluous.

    I think the fact that Apple Wallet is integrated into Apple Watch makes some sense. If you can just hold your watch up to the credit card machine and pay for stuff, it is easier than using your phone--though I am not sure how they do that when the watch doesn't have the thumb print scanner.

    Ironically, though, cell phones have trained me not to wear a watch. I have the time in my pocket. I wanted an iPad. I don't really care about this, unless I became a fitness fanatic.

    Apple ALWAYS mentions battery life, and they didn't with Apple Watch, which might be something to be concerned about.

    I have the 5s and I am quite happy with it. I honestly don't need my phone to be any bigger. I don't understand the phablet craze at all. But that is the direction it is going, and when I need a new phone, it'll be bigger.
    for sure- this is aimed at the fitness market. And I can see it doing well with it. But that's a tiny market.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Here is the page with the video on the watch, for anyone interested.

    http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-design

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.01.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,241
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Likes
    471
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I was considering a Fitbit - but this has me intrigued. IF it does what they're saying - then I'd rather have the Apple product.

    Watches by and large are exclusively fashion statements now adays. My iPhone, work computer, work lan-line phone, home phone line, iPad, iPod, PVR, car all have clocks on them. I don't need something else to tell me the time. This in mind, it'll sell based upon fashion.

    Personally, I haven't worn a watch in +10 years for the above reasons. I guess that means I have zero fashion sense; unless you consider not spending money on obsolete items fashionable
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    What I find interesting is that if you read the Steve Jobs biography, the thing he was working on before he died, and said he "cracked," was the television. An actual Apple television has been rumored since, but those rumors died with the rumors of the Watch.

    Has Apple abandoned Jobs' final project or did he really not "crack" it?

    Also, I will say that this

    reminds me an awful lot of this

    The difference might be the guy in the second photo, though. He had designed the tablet years and years earlier. Technology had to catch up.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.09.14 at 01:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Likes
    845
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    Does it seem Apple has dropped the "i" from their market?

    AppleWatch
    AppleShop

    ???


    Why not iWatch and iShop?!?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    for sure- this is aimed at the fitness market. And I can see it doing well with it. But that's a tiny market.
    It already exists. Samsung came out with this a year ago. Not to mention the other numerous innovations they have come up with while Apple has been doing nothing.

    For a decade it was everybody else trying to keep up. Not any more, I guess.

    Actually kind of sad to see considering what Jobs did with the company is so great.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,944
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Likes
    1,014
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

    iDontcare
    Little Dreamer

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    It already exists. Samsung came out with this a year ago. Not to mention the other numerous innovations they have come up with while Apple has been doing nothing.

    For a decade it was everybody else trying to keep up. Not any more, I guess.

    Actually kind of sad to see considering what Jobs did with the company is so great.
    See, I think that is a misnomer, at least the way I understand it. Maybe it is just how one chooses to look at it.

    Apple tends to wait to put out the best version of something they can, especially when it comes to the interface. The first mouses for computers came from elsewhere, but Apple made them cheaper and easier to use with the Lisa, so they often get credit for the first "mouse."

    The iPod by far was not the first portable digital audio player. But the scroll wheel made going through artists/albums/songs so much easier than any other on the market before. By their 3rd generation, Apple opened a music store (not the first, but the best to go digital), now the largest in the US.

    The iPhone was far from the first smart phone, but again the interface made it popular. Multi-touch was only used by one other product before it, and now basically every phone uses the technology.

    Apple also didn't invent the tablet. In fact, they put out a failed tablet in 1993. Microsoft tried and failed as well. But by implementing the improved multi-touch technology from the iPhone, they made a tablet lighter, more comfortable, and easier to use than they were before.

    With the Apple Watch, we'll have to wait and see if their interface is the one that makes this something to have.

    At one point Apple's vision was that your computer would be your hub for all your devices. Not too many years later, they almost live separate lives. Now, however, it seems as if they have shifted their strategy. Watching the keynote again, it seems as if they want the Apple Watch to be a convenient access point to your phone, and your phone will now be the hub for everything in your life.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.09.14 at 04:53 PM.

  12. #12
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The opinion of Twitter seems to be that this is dumb; it's a wearable version of an iPod touch.

    I think the niche market is fitness. I see the sport version of this being the big seller. It has sensors on your skin that can track your heart rate, and it uses your phone's information to track your activity and fitness using new apps that will come with iOS 8, and then that data can be used with third party apps, which is where I think the most usefulness will come from.

    Then again, the hate about the iPad on social media and in the thread on here was all very wrong. Everyone said it was just four iPod Touches duct taped together. Everyone thought the iPad was superfluous.

    I think the fact that Apple Wallet is integrated into Apple Watch makes some sense. If you can just hold your watch up to the credit card machine and pay for stuff, it is easier than using your phone--though I am not sure how they do that when the watch doesn't have the thumb print scanner.

    Ironically, though, cell phones have trained me not to wear a watch. I have the time in my pocket. I wanted an iPad. I don't really care about this, unless I became a fitness fanatic.

    Apple ALWAYS mentions battery life, and they didn't with Apple Watch, which might be something to be concerned about.

    I have the 5s and I am quite happy with it. I honestly don't need my phone to be any bigger. I don't understand the phablet craze at all. But that is the direction it is going, and when I need a new phone, it'll be bigger.

    THAT'S what I was initially geeking out over when watching this.

    When I saw the built-in heart-rate monitor, I was thinking "YES!", but then when I saw it always has to be tethered to the phone, I was like, "NO!".

    I purchased a MotoActv a couple years ago: ----> Fitness Watch - and I LOVE it!

    And unlike the Apple Watch, it has built-in GPS, can sync to my iPhone to receive texts AND calls. Has a built-in FM receiver, blue-tooth, WiFi, the works!

    I upload all my data via wireless or USB, log into the website and it graphs and details all my data. It's great!

    and Motorola DISCONTINUED it!! They were freaking 2 years ahead of EVERYBODY with it!!

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
    THAT'S what I was initially geeking out over when watching this.

    When I saw the built-in heart-rate monitor, I was thinking "YES!", but then when I saw it always has to be tethered to the phone, I was like, "NO!".

    I purchased a MotoActv a couple years ago: ----> Fitness Watch - and I LOVE it!

    And unlike the Apple Watch, it has built-in GPS, can sync to my iPhone to receive texts AND calls. Has a built-in FM receiver, blue-tooth, WiFi, the works!

    I upload all my data via wireless or USB, log into the website and it graphs and details all my data. It's great!

    and Motorola DISCONTINUED it!! They were freaking 2 years ahead of EVERYBODY with it!!
    That's one of the things about Apple. They're not usually first, but they usually offer a great product when they do, one with a breakthrough in interface. But now they have a reputation of doing that, so the industry sometimes follows them. Tablets are a great example. Companies tried from the early 1990s to early 2000s to put out tablets, but multi-touch was the magical interface that made it interesting to consumers. However, we shouldn't discount the authority Apple has when they introduce a product, meaning by 2010, we were used to Apples innovations and putting out a product we want, but didn't know we wanted it. Finally, Jobs was a very persuasive salesman.

    I watched the keynote a second time, and I really think that the iWatch is really more of a new interface for your phone, since they are tethered. Your phone controls your world now--it's a wallet, your remote, makes calls, video conferencing, accesses the internet, takes photos, video, it's your access to social media, text messages, it can run your house, unlock your car, it's your music player, video player, your access point for shopping, and on and on--and I think the iWatch is a step towards a new, easier access interface for your phone.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Apple introduces the iPhone
    By ZeoBandit in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 10.14.13, 08:10 PM
  2. Apple Introduces the iPad
    By lovemachine97(Version 2) in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07.03.12, 03:14 PM
  3. What Apple notebook to buy?
    By Scotty in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09.05.08, 10:07 PM
  4. New from Apple.....the IRack
    By Thai Boxer 9901 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.21.07, 08:23 PM
  5. Bedbugs Hit the Big Apple and Beyond
    By Phatie in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03.08.06, 05:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •